Honored Contributor

Re: Is your Doctor an Osteopathic Doctor?

Osteopaths treat the body as a whole, not just as a symptom like many MD's.

My own personal preference. 8)

Super Contributor

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful posts! I actually needed to get in to see my regular DR. and could not get in until the middle of December. This DO who is also an internist had an opening Tomorrow so I figured why not. I do not have a long standing relationship with any one doctor... and get frustrated sometimes when the Allopathic doctors never seem to understand my feelings on natural as much as possible. This might be a very good thing.

Honored Contributor

I went to nursing school at a hospital where all of our intern and residents were osteopathic doctors in training.And most of the staff docs were osteopaths. Like all doctors - some were much better than others. However, their training is just as rigorous as any other doctor's. They just use more natural methods when possible.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I finally found one that feels the same way I do about medications and certain vaccines and uses natural remedies first. The whole family goes to her.

Super Contributor

On 11/30/2014 happy housewife said:

I went to nursing school at a hospital where all of our intern and residents were osteopathic doctors in training.And most of the staff docs were osteopaths. Like all doctors - some were much better than others. However, their training is just as rigorous as any other doctor's. They just use more natural methods when possible.

yes---- just like in any profession, there are good, better and bad doctors. Thank goodness we can decided who we choose to see!

Respected Contributor

I'd rather go to an M.D. I don't know much about osteopaths. Plus, if they take the natural approach they might try to make me do things I don't want to do, such as change my diet in a way that doesn't appeal to me.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

On 11/30/2014 Ms X said:

I'd rather go to an M.D. I don't know much about osteopaths. Plus, if they take the natural approach they might try to make me do things I don't want to do, such as change my diet in a way that doesn't appeal to me.

They are Medical Doctors... just trained extra in more natural treatments VS just an allopathic training.

Honored Contributor

On 11/30/2014 AnnaBella said:
On 11/30/2014 Ms X said:

They are Medical Doctors... just trained extra in more natural treatments VS just an allopathic training.

While I agree they are medical doctors they go to a different med school and they learn a different approach to disease. They DO NOT have MD after their name - they have DO. One should understand the difference if they are going to seek care from a DO.

OOPS - I think it is OD not DO Sorry.

Respected Contributor

I've been to both and don't see any difference in care. My DO does not recommend "goofy" care. No snake oils, no herbal remedies, no tribal chants........In my state DO's do residencies with MD's and take the same Medical Board Exams.

Super Contributor

On 11/30/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/30/2014 AnnaBella said:
On 11/30/2014 Ms X said:

While I agree they are medical doctors they go to a different med school and they learn a different approach to disease. They DO NOT have MD after their name - they have DO. One should understand the difference if they are going to seek care from a DO.

OOPS - I think it is OD not DO Sorry.

Actually, that is incorrect. In many medical schools, MD's and DO's sit side by side in the same classes. MD's and DO's receive basically the same education, with DO's being required to take additional training in manipulation. Internship, residency, and fellowship requirements are the same, as are licensing and board certification processes.

Also, OD refers to an optometrist. DO is osteopathic doctor.