Honored Contributor

Re: Is this typical in a dementia patient?

Wanted to add to all of your very good comments, this can happen slowly or overnight. My mom was livng by herself until she fell and broke her hip. She never recovered mentally following the surgery. She was full time care for 5 1/2 years.
Respected Contributor

Having gone through both Alzheimer's with my mom and Lewy Body syndrome ( Parkinson's and dementia ) with my dad, all the comments and cautions posted above sound way too familiar. With my mom, Sundowning was a major issue which one day precipitated her going in to assisted living in a memory care facility: she got out of the house while my dad was in the bathroom and crossed a major roadway on a Sunday afternoon while looking for her mother. My mom was 84 at the time. The police brought her home safe and sound. Be careful : the stove and matches are major concerns -- FIREs. Also, when emptying out the room or even the house: they can hide money and other valuables in the most unlikely spots, e.g., Kotex pads, telephone books, coat pockets. My dad had major hallucinations: couldn't figure out why he had so many flyswatters throughout the house. He saw bugs crawling all over the place and on people. His was a very aggressive form of dementia coupled with Parkinson's and he lasted only 6 weeks. The drugs they gave him in the hospital to " calm " him brought on three days of total hallucination and disorientation. He went from living on his own, driving, writings checks to pay bills to his death so quickly.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

My loved one experienced very erratic sleeping/waking patterns as well. He would be up for 3-4 hours, then sleep for 2, up for 6 hours, sleep for 5. There didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason. It was difficult to manage when he was up in the middle of the night.

You didn't say if you were her primary caregiver, gardenman, but if so, that kind of schedule could wreak havoc on your health and well-being. My only suggestion would be to hire a caregiver so that you could get the rest you need or see another doctor, who may be able to prescribe meds. I am very anti-drug, but having been through the experience of caregiving, realize it is sometimes necessary. Also, read as much as you can about dementia. Did the doctor give your mom a specific diagnosis? Because there are different types of dementia that could benefit from different types of treatment. God bless and my best wishes. It is awful to see your loved one succumb to this devastating disease.

Respected Contributor

On 12/3/2014 chrystaltree said:

....I bet her doctor would know!

Exactly. Best advise.

Trusted Contributor

There's nothing "normal" about dementia, and very little that's regimented or predictable, either. I lost my mom to Alzheimer's last year, and we're now dealing with DH's elderly mother who has dementia. Mom was in a memory care facility, and DH's mom was in assisted living for several years and is now in a nursing home, so we've observed many dementia patients and talked with other families.

It is very common for dementia patients to have "good" and "bad" days. It's also common to see "sundowning", where patients get more agitated and antsy in the late afternoon and evening. Some patients will stay awake and wander at night, but we didn't experience too much of that on a regular basis with my Mom or with DH's mom. Definitely environmental issues, medications, changes of venue (like hospitalizations or change of residence), medical procedures, and things like UTI's can affect patients' mental/emotional state and functioning. Many cycles, changes, stages, and variables at work.

I don't know if your mom is at home or in a care facility, but it sounds like her dementia is becoming more advanced, and I'd strongly encourage you to look into good memory care facilities in your area. When things get bad, dementia patients may need 24/7 care and supervision, and their behavior and needs may be more than a family can realistically handle. It is a huge help to be able to see your family member, participate in her life and care on a daily basis -- but then to be able to go home, rest, and continue with your own life.

Blessings to you and your family on this difficult road.

Honored Contributor

On 12/4/2014 sparklestar said:
On 12/3/2014 chrystaltree said:

....I bet her doctor would know!

Exactly. Best advise.

I wish that were an absolute, but by experience, I know that it's not!
Contributor

It is called "Sunsetting or Sundowners". It generally happens at night and for the most part the patient is inconsolable.

My Gran had it and believe it or not our 15 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has it. We leave a light on for her at night and that helps some. She can howl like a little wolf for anywhere from a few minutes to an hour. When the sun comes up she's ready for a long nap. In every other way she is doing "old age very well indeed."

Like my vet says:"Anything a person can experience medically, so can a dog."

Esteemed Contributor

I went on YouTube and a trained professional I think her name was Teeta Snow explained the different stages of Dementia, like gems. She starts with the Sapphire, then Diamond, Emerald, Ruby,etc. Very informative. I know her last name is Snow, and first starts with a T. When I get up, I,'ll look at my notes. I was looking for the symptoms for a friend of mine to see what stage she was in now. Sounds like the second stage, Diamond. Not like your mom yet. It is a good video and explains different stages.
New Contributor

alzconnected.org has great message boards and a chat room. I find this site invalauble as I struggle to understand and deal with the complexities of my mother's Alzheimers disease. Good luck to you on this most difficult journey that none of us wants to be on. Dementia/Alzheimers takes a horrible toll on both the loved one suffering from it as well as caregivers. alzconnected.org will help you to know that you are not alone.
Super Contributor

I read somewhere that everyone who has Alzheimer's has dementia ...but not everyone who has dementia has Alzheimer's. There are well over 150 causes of dementia. I don't believe there is a normal reaction, it is probably different for everyone and will probably change for your loved one over the course of the disease.