Honored Contributor

Re: Is this a trend... doctors and over testing?

Some doctors are more aggressive than others.  Some like to take a wait and see approach. Some like to see if a medication works before ordering tests.  Some like to have a test done before ordering medication.

You have to find a doctor who suits you.

I like an aggressive doctor.  I am not a patient person, so I don't like "wait and see."  But I am also strong enough to say no to something if I think it's overkill.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

If your doctor is associated with the hospital where you get your labes and other tests like MRI, CT scans, etc......don't be shocked to learn that he may be getting addtional compensation for the income he's generating.

There was a neurologist when I lived in Detroit who was ordering extensive tests including MRI's and diagnosing young kids in their teens and early 20's with epilepsy. Of course the tests continued.

His contract called for bonuses over and above his $225k salary when he ordered more testing.

Many parents became suspicious and took their kids for a 2nd opinion. Turns out none of the kids with a 2nd opinion had epilepsy.

The Dr fled the US back to his homeland before chages could be brought.

Honored Contributor

I know a few doctors personally, and I think it depends on the MD's experiences .... if they've ever been sued for malpractice, or just had any complaints made, my guess is that they'd be even more "cautious" and order more tests. 

Also, I'm pretty sure Provider guidelines aren't universal with the insurance companies.

Also, I think it depends on the illness and family history.    If cancer ran in my family, I would expect more --- and more frequent --- tests to be on the lookout for cancer ..... wouldn't you want that?

Trusted Contributor

If you know of any physician who is getting a kickback from a hospital for ordering tests, report them.  It's illegal!

Respected Contributor

More of the same old, same old here. Doctors are d@mned if they do or d@mned if they don't. 

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

More of the same old, same old here. Doctors are d@mned if they do or d@mned if they don't. 

No kidding! I never saw or heard such a bunch of people who think they know more than their doctors and nurses - or other professionals - than on this board.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

No kidding! I never saw or heard such a bunch of people who think they know more than their doctors and nurses - or other professionals - than on this board.

If you'd ever been misdiagnosed and your Very Fine MD from The Very Famous Clinic ran you ragged until your insurance and your wallet were bled dry, you'd look for advice and opinions, too. All the while you're getting sicker and sicker. And they're "still testing".

I left that Very Prestigious Clinic and found a doctor who specializes in what I have from an online bb. By far the finest physician I've ever had. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for all your replies.  I am thinking my DOC is overprotective and just plain aggressive.  I am one to want to lay back and not be overly tested.  My mother spent the last 15 years  of her life in and out of doctors, one test after another.  Yes, she finally passed on but it was age among other things that were never considered.  I come from a large family and everyone died of something else.  I have no real family history of anything that is constant.  

Trusted Contributor

Tests or no tests.....we all End up dead one way or the other....

Honored Contributor

'Different Docs for Different Folks'.  I'm thinking that we should try to find a doc who is on 'our page' and vice-versa.  I'm usually the 'wait and see' for a week or two type of person.  If only so I'll have time to think about 'this and that'.  When I'm rushed into something, (in general), I usually end up saying 'Why did I do that'?  But, we are all different in what has worked for us in the past.  That's all we can do, is to delve into our personal, previous experiences. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).