Trusted Contributor

Re: Is there such a thing as a well-balanced low carb diet?

@sidsmom wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Directly answering your Title Question,

"Is there such a thing as a well-balanced low carb diet"

No.

Our bodies need carbohydrates.

Our bodies need fiber.

Supplements (excluding B12) are not necessary & potentially dangerous. 

Why eat a diet that often leads to anemia and requires a supplement?  

You're right.

Low Carb/Keto/Paleo can do that.

@sidsmom 

Oh,  come on.  Be honest. You're only okaying B12 supplements to justify your way of eating. NO SUPPLEMENTS should be necessary if a healthy person eats a nutritionally balanced diet. (Some people just don't absorb B12 from food and must take supplements and/or shots. Also, as we age, other nutrients aren't absorbed, either)

B12 deficiency occurs in people who don't eat meat, eggs, poultry, dairy products, and other foods from animals   I know, because I don't eat meat, rarely eat eggs, eat fish only a couple times a week, etc. I don't proselytize, though. I don't recommend this for others. I do it for no reason other than I dislike the foods I don't eat. The thought of meat makes me gag.  That's just me. 

Diets that cut out entire food groups leave you with deficiencies.  That's fact. Keto, Vegan, Strict Vegetarian, You-Name-It.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@depglass wrote:

My cardiologist, whom I haven't seen in two years, is on a holy tear about my weight.  So I called his office for diet advice and got a nurse who is obviously one of the converted.  All carbs are bad, even fruit.  She said take supplements.  Somehow I can't get past the idea that I will be missing something important if I cut out all fruit.

@depglass 

ALL Carbs are bad? Not a diabetic so that may be true for those that suffer from diabetes. Were I to eliminate carbs? There is no way I could function, much less my lifestyle of high level moving. My foods consist primarily of complex carbs along with most of the rest being protein. My fat intake is much less than 10%.

I have not told my full story about my 14 years of battling many things that could have killed me, and all the details of where I started in 2016 to regain the level of physical fitness I have now enjoyed since I worked many months to finally be able to say those words. 

And yes, my weight was not a small part of it. I ate through those recovery months pretty much how I am still eating, which is high complex carbs.  For me, quitting carbs, or even reducing them, had little to do with my long recovery. And I think you know my "heart history".

hckynut

Hi @hckynut . Hope you are well. I read that you are still skating 3 times a week. Glad to read the rink was finally open after renovations.

A lot of cardiologists frown on carbohydrates because they add to triglycerides. My heart guy, the one who put in my stents, believes sugar is the new cigarettes so to speak. Any food that needs a lot of insulin to process is what contributes to heart disease. He frowns on a ketogenic diet but one that emphasizes no white food like pasta, potatoes bread and he encourages low carb vegetables, fish and chicken....the Mediterranean diet.

@Trinity11 

The Mediterreanean diet also includes whole grains, legumes, beans, potatoes, nuts, seeds, and fruits.

Then I stand corrected @QueenDanceALot . I forgot about the whole grains. Thanks for the correction. 

It's not a low carb diet.

Just want to be accurate.

Trusted Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@depglass wrote:

My cardiologist, whom I haven't seen in two years, is on a holy tear about my weight.  So I called his office for diet advice and got a nurse who is obviously one of the converted.  All carbs are bad, even fruit.  She said take supplements.  Somehow I can't get past the idea that I will be missing something important if I cut out all fruit.

@depglass 

ALL Carbs are bad? Not a diabetic so that may be true for those that suffer from diabetes. Were I to eliminate carbs? There is no way I could function, much less my lifestyle of high level moving. My foods consist primarily of complex carbs along with most of the rest being protein. My fat intake is much less than 10%.

I have not told my full story about my 14 years of battling many things that could have killed me, and all the details of where I started in 2016 to regain the level of physical fitness I have now enjoyed since I worked many months to finally be able to say those words. 

And yes, my weight was not a small part of it. I ate through those recovery months pretty much how I am still eating, which is high complex carbs.  For me, quitting carbs, or even reducing them, had little to do with my long recovery. And I think you know my "heart history".

hckynut

Hi @hckynut . Hope you are well. I read that you are still skating 3 times a week. Glad to read the rink was finally open after renovations.

A lot of cardiologists frown on carbohydrates because they add to triglycerides. My heart guy, the one who put in my stents, believes sugar is the new cigarettes so to speak. Any food that needs a lot of insulin to process is what contributes to heart disease. He frowns on a ketogenic diet but one that emphasizes no white food like pasta, potatoes bread and he encourages low carb vegetables, fish and chicken....the Mediterranean diet.

@Trinity11 

The Mediterreanean diet also includes whole grains, legumes, beans, potatoes, nuts, seeds, and fruits.

Then I stand corrected @QueenDanceALot . I forgot about the whole grains. Thanks for the correction. 

@QueenDanceALot 

@Trinity11 

Yes.

"The true Mediterranean Diet is a moderate carbohydrate diet (about 40% carbohydrates) with moderate to slightly elevated fat (35-40%)."

olivetomatodotcom/complete-guide-authentic-mediterranean-diet/

(substitute a . for dot)

Honored Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@depglass wrote:

@depglass 

hckynut

@Trinity11 

@QueenDanceALot 

@Trinity11 

Yes.

"The true Mediterranean Diet is a moderate carbohydrate diet (about 40% carbohydrates) with moderate to slightly elevated fat (35-40%)."

(substitute a . for dot)

My cardiologist’s advice was to skip the potatoes and bread. I was trying to remember the name of the diet but I misspoke calling it a Mediterranean diet. It’s a low carb variant minus a lot of the fruit and potatoes. My husband definitely eats a Mediterranean diet. I modify it. 

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Trinity11 

@QueenDanceALot 

@Trinity11 

Yes.

(substitute a . for dot)

My cardiologist’s advice was to skip the potatoes and bread. I was trying to remember the name of the diet but I misspoke calling it a Mediterranean diet. It’s a low carb variant minus a lot of the fruit and potatoes. My husband definitely eats a Mediterranean diet. I modify it. 

@Trinity11 

As some of us have said many times, we all have different needs and conditions that necessitate modifying diets to our specific needs. 

Also, I have to laugh at how long this thread has become.  I edited out most of it. We know what we're talking about.😉

Honored Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

B12 deficiency occurs in people who don't eat meat, eggs, poultry, dairy products, and other foods from animals

@ILTH 

Sorry...that's not correct.

Everyone needs to be mindful of B12.

Livestock is given an oral application of B12....its not 'magically'

produced by the animal.  

"But I buy grass-fed products"....the small amount of grounds/fields

used to label 'grsss-fed' is so sanitized to keep the animal healthy,

they have to be supplemented with the same B12 that vegans use.

If eating animal muscle is the only reason to get your B12,

I have news...it also gives you high amount of sat fat, hormones,

no fiber...which results in poorer health.

But I guess my 1 tablet for $.25, once a week, is too much trouble

for some people...versus heart disease, cancer, diabetes...

it's your choice. 

Honored Contributor

Yum! Pass the animal muscle! LOL

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

@depglass   

You might want to see a diettian provided by your cardiologist.  My DH has very serious heart disease (atrial fibrillation-flutter, pericarditis, endocarditis, congestive heart failure, pulmonary arterial hypertension, coronary artery disease, bypass surgery, stents, a cardiac arrest due to V fib), brittle diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and dementia.  I have been treating him for these illnesses since 1992. 

He has well-balanced diet 3 times daily.  Yes, he does get carbs.  The brain needs carbs to function. 

Yes, fruit contains carbs but you can work around that and have fruit as a carb choice at one meal as opposes to a potato or a piece of bread.  You need carbs. You eat salads, green veggies, meats.  Get thyself an ADA (American Diabetic Assn) cookbook.  It is also heart-healthy diet,

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

B12 deficiency occurs in people who don't eat meat, eggs, poultry, dairy products, and other foods from animals

@ILTH 

Sorry...that's not correct.

Everyone needs to be mindful of B12.

Livestock is given an oral application of B12....its not 'magically'

produced by the animal.  

"But I buy grass-fed products"....the small amount of grounds/fields

used to label 'grsss-fed' is so sanitized to keep the animal healthy,

they have to be supplemented with the same B12 that vegans use.

If eating animal muscle is the only reason to get your B12,

I have news...it also gives you high amount of sat fat, hormones,

no fiber...which results in poorer health.

But I guess my 1 tablet for $.25, once a week, is too much trouble

for some people...versus heart disease, cancer, diabetes...

it's your choice. 

So, what about fish and seafood?  Are clams, sardines, tuna and salmon fortified with supplements?  All of these protein sources are very high in Vitamin B12.  I guess they must be magical foods.  I am mindful of Vitamin B 12 and get my fair share from fish and seafood which I eat a few times a week.

I have no heart disease, diabetes or cancer and take no meds...no prescriptions or OTC. I don't even take supplements.  

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@depglass Please see if your insurance program will pay for your doctor to refer you to a nutritionist.  That person will take into account your lifestyle, your dislike and dislikes, and reasonable goals and devise a food plan specific to your needs.

It should be something you can live with comfortably and follow.   Best wishes!  You shouldn't have to suffer! 

Have you consulted with a nutritionist, @Sooner?  Their knowledge is often outdated, limited to when they received their training.  That's been my experience.

@tansy Sorry you had a bad experience.  I have gone twice in my life and been very pleased both times.  But I'm not a follower of the latest food fads or "diets."  So maybe that was my experience.