Honored Contributor

Re: Is there such a thing as a well-balanced low carb diet?

@CelticCrafter 

I agree I was going to suggest Ww it is a healthy and balanced diet and there is no being deprived, I have lost 60 lbs since Feb 2018 and I love the plan

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Physicians don't know much about nutrition unless they obtained a certification in it and nurses in their offices know far less.  If your insurance allows it, call them back and ask for a referral to a nutritionist at your local hospital.  Many hospitals now have Weight Loss clinics, you can look for one of those.  If that does not appeal to you and you want something easier that really does work; enroll in Weight Watcher's online program.  To answer your question, yes indeed, there are balanced low carb diets.  And there is no reason to abstain from any fruit, even bananas!  Basically, lean proteins, fruits, vegetable, whole grain vegetables.  You can have rice, bread, pasta but it must be whole grain.  

I have a friend that follows the Weight Watcher's point program.  She has lost 100 pounds, her husband the same amount.  
She's posted some of the recipes on FB.   I would be satisfied and wouldn't turn my nose up at any of them.  

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@depglass Please see if your insurance program will pay for your doctor to refer you to a nutritionist.  That person will take into account your lifestyle, your dislike and dislikes, and reasonable goals and devise a food plan specific to your needs.

It should be something you can live with comfortably and follow.   Best wishes!  You shouldn't have to suffer! 

Honored Contributor

You don't need fruit to be well-nourished and healthy.  I eat a few fruits when they come into season and buy from local sources.  During the summer I ate some nectarines and cherries.  Right now I have a few honey crisp apples.  Use fruit as a treat.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@depglass Please see if your insurance program will pay for your doctor to refer you to a nutritionist.  That person will take into account your lifestyle, your dislike and dislikes, and reasonable goals and devise a food plan specific to your needs.

It should be something you can live with comfortably and follow.   Best wishes!  You shouldn't have to suffer! 

Have you consulted with a nutritionist, @Sooner?  Their knowledge is often outdated, limited to when they received their training.  That's been my experience.

Honored Contributor

I hope if you get a nutritionist , they are better than the ones I had. They were useless. You can find out more on the net ,and it is free

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Directly answering your Title Question,

"Is there such a thing as a well-balanced low carb diet"

No.

Our bodies need carbohydrates.

Our bodies need fiber.

Supplements (excluding B12) are not necessary & potentially dangerous. 

Why eat a diet that often leads to anemia and requires a supplement?  

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Directly answering your Title Question,

"Is there such a thing as a well-balanced low carb diet"

No.

Our bodies need carbohydrates.

Our bodies need fiber.

Supplements (excluding B12) are not necessary & potentially dangerous. 

Why eat a diet that often leads to anemia and requires a supplement?  

You're right.

Low Carb/Keto/Paleo can do that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@depglass wrote:

My cardiologist, whom I haven't seen in two years, is on a holy tear about my weight.  So I called his office for diet advice and got a nurse who is obviously one of the converted.  All carbs are bad, even fruit.  She said take supplements.  Somehow I can't get past the idea that I will be missing something important if I cut out all fruit.

@depglass 

ALL Carbs are bad? Not a diabetic so that may be true for those that suffer from diabetes. Were I to eliminate carbs? There is no way I could function, much less my lifestyle of high level moving. My foods consist primarily of complex carbs along with most of the rest being protein. My fat intake is much less than 10%.

I have not told my full story about my 14 years of battling many things that could have killed me, and all the details of where I started in 2016 to regain the level of physical fitness I have now enjoyed since I worked many months to finally be able to say those words. 

And yes, my weight was not a small part of it. I ate through those recovery months pretty much how I am still eating, which is high complex carbs.  For me, quitting carbs, or even reducing them, had little to do with my long recovery. And I think you know my "heart history".

hckynut

Hi @hckynut . Hope you are well. I read that you are still skating 3 times a week. Glad to read the rink was finally open after renovations.

A lot of cardiologists frown on carbohydrates because they add to triglycerides. My heart guy, the one who put in my stents, believes sugar is the new cigarettes so to speak. Any food that needs a lot of insulin to process is what contributes to heart disease. He frowns on a ketogenic diet but one that emphasizes no white food like pasta, potatoes bread and he encourages low carb vegetables, fish and chicken. (Edited for incorrect name of diet)

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@depglass wrote:

My cardiologist, whom I haven't seen in two years, is on a holy tear about my weight.  So I called his office for diet advice and got a nurse who is obviously one of the converted.  All carbs are bad, even fruit.  She said take supplements.  Somehow I can't get past the idea that I will be missing something important if I cut out all fruit.

@depglass 

ALL Carbs are bad? Not a diabetic so that may be true for those that suffer from diabetes. Were I to eliminate carbs? There is no way I could function, much less my lifestyle of high level moving. My foods consist primarily of complex carbs along with most of the rest being protein. My fat intake is much less than 10%.

I have not told my full story about my 14 years of battling many things that could have killed me, and all the details of where I started in 2016 to regain the level of physical fitness I have now enjoyed since I worked many months to finally be able to say those words. 

And yes, my weight was not a small part of it. I ate through those recovery months pretty much how I am still eating, which is high complex carbs.  For me, quitting carbs, or even reducing them, had little to do with my long recovery. And I think you know my "heart history".

hckynut

Hi @hckynut . Hope you are well. I read that you are still skating 3 times a week. Glad to read the rink was finally open after renovations.

A lot of cardiologists frown on carbohydrates because they add to triglycerides. My heart guy, the one who put in my stents, believes sugar is the new cigarettes so to speak. Any food that needs a lot of insulin to process is what contributes to heart disease. He frowns on a ketogenic diet but one that emphasizes no white food like pasta, potatoes bread and he encourages low carb vegetables, fish and chicken....the Mediterranean diet.

@Trinity11 

The Mediterreanean diet also includes whole grains, legumes, beans, potatoes, nuts, seeds, and fruits.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@depglass wrote:

@depglass 

hckynut

A lot of cardiologists frown on carbohydrates because they add to triglycerides. My heart guy, the one who put in my stents, believes sugar is the new cigarettes so to speak. Any food that needs a lot of insulin to process is what contributes to heart disease. He frowns on a ketogenic diet but one that emphasizes no white food like pasta, potatoes bread and he encourages low carb vegetables, fish and chicken....the Mediterranean diet.

@Trinity11 

The Mediterreanean diet also includes whole grains, legumes, beans, potatoes, nuts, seeds, and fruits.

Then I stand corrected @QueenDanceALot . I forgot about the whole grains. Thanks for the correction.