Respected Contributor

Re: Is there such a thing as a well-balanced low carb diet?

[ Edited ]

To the poster who asked how to keep intestines from "backing up" when certain foods are avoided..............

These non-starchy  veggies might help keep digestion in good form.......cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, brussels sprouts, squash, carrots, celery, cucumber, lettuce, mushrooms, onions, spinach, kale, collards, green beans. green/yellow/red peppers.

Some people who  take blood-thinner medications, such as Coumadin, might need to limit (not exclude) some  foods mentioned above, so you need some personalized professional dietary advice.

I once used Benefiber, a colorless, odorless, tasteless powder mixed into a glass of water or added to food once a day.

I didn't find it bad or difficult to use at all. Just might work for you, too, to "keep things moving".

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Physicians don't know much about nutrition unless they obtained a certification in it and nurses in their offices know far less.  If your insurance allows it, call them back and ask for a referral to a nutritionist at your local hospital.  Many hospitals now have Weight Loss clinics, you can look for one of those.  If that does not appeal to you and you want something easier that really does work; enroll in Weight Watcher's online program.  To answer your question, yes indeed, there are balanced low carb diets.  And there is no reason to abstain from any fruit, even bananas!  Basically, lean proteins, fruits, vegetable, whole grain vegetables.  You can have rice, bread, pasta but it must be whole grain.  

I agree with the bolded.  The rest is neither supported nor refuted fully by the medical field, and a person's specific condition(s) dictate what they should and shouldn't eat. 

Honored Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@depglass wrote:

My cardiologist, whom I haven't seen in two years, is on a holy tear about my weight.  So I called his office for diet advice and got a nurse who is obviously one of the converted.  All carbs are bad, even fruit.  She said take supplements.  Somehow I can't get past the idea that I will be missing something important if I cut out all fruit.

I rarely agree with @sidsmom, but, she's right.

I did pretty low-carb for about 6 months. I had fruit a couple of times a day. A bite of bread, potatoes, chips, rice, etc. every few days. Lots of vegetables. Fish about 4 or 5 times a week. I lost a lot of weight that I hadn't intended to lose. It just happened. My blood sugar stabilized. My heart suffered.

Palpitations is a serious by-product of very low-carb. And, it doesn't show up for months or even a year. 

Cutting out most simple (refined) sugar and carbohydrates (junk food) won't harm you. That's it. 

What kind of cardiologist allows his nurse to give such dangerous advice?

Do your research. Don't look for answers here. We're not experts, and most of us have biases and many have blinders and bad information.

This is your health, not advice about clothes or bags or decorating.

ETA

Harvard Health 

"Weight loss is the primary reason my patients use the ketogenic diet. Previous research shows good evidence of a faster weight loss when patients go on a ketogenic or very low carbohydrate diet compared to participants on a more traditional low-fat diet, or even a Mediterranean diet. However, that difference in weight loss seems to disappear over time."

Just an example. Do your research. 

@ILTH 

Thanks.

Yes, it scares me when good intentions are met with harmful/deadly

side effects.  

And not scares, but angers me when I hear of doctors...not just general physicians but cardiologists...recommending low-carb/keto plans.

I don't want to be cynical but it's really, really hard to not think 

these doctors are intentionally treating these patients as a

"returning customers."

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Physicians don't know much about nutrition unless they obtained a certification in it and nurses in their offices know far less.  If your insurance allows it, call them back and ask for a referral to a nutritionist at your local hospital.  Many hospitals now have Weight Loss clinics, you can look for one of those.  If that does not appeal to you and you want something easier that really does work; enroll in Weight Watcher's online program.  To answer your question, yes indeed, there are balanced low carb diets.  And there is no reason to abstain from any fruit, even bananas!  Basically, lean proteins, fruits, vegetable, whole grain vegetables.  You can have rice, bread, pasta but it must be whole grain.  

I have a friend that follows the Weight Watcher's point program.  She has lost 100 pounds, her husband the same amount.  
She's posted some of the recipes on FB.   I would be satisfied and wouldn't turn my nose up at any of them.  

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

@depglass wrote:

My cardiologist, whom I haven't seen in two years, is on a holy tear about my weight.  So I called his office for diet advice and got a nurse who is obviously one of the converted.  All carbs are bad, even fruit.  She said take supplements.  Somehow I can't get past the idea that I will be missing something important if I cut out all fruit.

I rarely agree with @sidsmom, but, she's right.

I did pretty low-carb for about 6 months. I had fruit a couple of times a day. A bite of bread, potatoes, chips, rice, etc. every few days. Lots of vegetables. Fish about 4 or 5 times a week. I lost a lot of weight that I hadn't intended to lose. It just happened. My blood sugar stabilized. My heart suffered.

Palpitations is a serious by-product of very low-carb. And, it doesn't show up for months or even a year. 

Cutting out most simple (refined) sugar and carbohydrates (junk food) won't harm you. That's it. 

What kind of cardiologist allows his nurse to give such dangerous advice?

Do your research. Don't look for answers here. We're not experts, and most of us have biases and many have blinders and bad information.

This is your health, not advice about clothes or bags or decorating.

ETA

Harvard Health 

"Weight loss is the primary reason my patients use the ketogenic diet. Previous research shows good evidence of a faster weight loss when patients go on a ketogenic or very low carbohydrate diet compared to participants on a more traditional low-fat diet, or even a Mediterranean diet. However, that difference in weight loss seems to disappear over time."

Just an example. Do your research. 

@ILTH 

Thanks.

Yes, it scares me when good intentions are met with harmful/deadly

side effects.  

And not scares, but angers me when I hear of doctors...not just general physicians but cardiologists...recommending low-carb/keto plans.

I don't want to be cynical but it's really, really hard to not think 

these doctors are intentionally treating these patients as a

"returning customers."

@sidsmom 

I don't think they're intentionally abusing/using their patients. I think they're just ignorant, lazy, whatever. 

Honored Contributor

@ILTH 

I know...as a good person, I like to believe they have best intentions

why don't they just refer their patients to the standard of heart disease

diets, the DASH diet?  

Why the current book in the bookstore or on the New York Times

Best Seller list?  or current fad, like keto?  At the very least,

there's a little bit of science backing up the DASH diet.  

If I was a lazy cardiologist, I would go the path of least resistance...

DASH diet.  Just doesn't make sense to hear them go on about

keto/low carb when there's -0- evidence of heart disease reversal

with these plans.  I'm really surprise these doctors haven't been sued.

Honored Contributor

Boy, I touched a nerve here.  I've never had such quick, sincere well thought out answers on any subject.  I've read a few answers and am looking forward to going through all of them again.  Thanks to all you wonderful posters who took the time to answer me.  

Honored Contributor

@akaburtonfan wrote:

I try to eat low carb but find I don’t get enough fiber. I’m wondering how all of you who eat this way keep from getting backed up.

Try eating a large amount of leafy greens (baby lettuces are very tasty), @akaburtonfan 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

@depglass 

ALL Carbs are bad? Not a diabetic so that may be true for those that suffer from diabetes. Were I to eliminate carbs? There is no way I could function, much less my lifestyle of high level moving. My foods consist primarily of complex carbs along with most of the rest being protein. My fat intake is much less than 10%.

I have not told my full story about my 14 years of battling many things that could have killed me, and all the details of where I started in 2016 to regain the level of physical fitness I have now enjoyed since I worked many months to finally be able to say those words. 

And yes, my weight was not a small part of it. I ate through those recovery months pretty much how I am still eating, which is high complex carbs.  For me, quitting carbs, or even reducing them, had little to do with my long recovery. And I think you know my "heart history".

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

Rice,bread, pasta on a low carb diet?  Not much!  Most low carb plans ban all of them.

And it doesn't matter if it's whole grain or not, carbohydrate speaking.  As an example, both brown and white rice have 45 grams of carbohydrates per cup.  Even if you look at "net carbs", brown rice only has about 3.5 grams of fiber per cup.

Won't take you to low carb territory either way.