Honored Contributor

Re: Is there such a thing as a well-balanced low carb diet?

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips wrote:

My husband and I have been on a low carb diet for two months and we both have lost weight.  I am rarely hungry and am satisfied eating meats, chicken  fish, cheese, yogurt, nuts, and yes some fruits.  I have only had three slices of bread in two months and potatoes (french fries) only once!  I occassionaly eat a small piece of dark chocolate, but I have not had any other sweets or ice cream since I started.  At this point, I don't really miss all those foods.  I feel better, although I can not say I have boundless energy.

Good luck to you!

P.S.  I did nutrisystem in 2008 and did lose weight.  Well I gained it all back once I stopped.  Everytime Marie Osmond comes on with her nutrisystem commercials, I get to yell at the TV that I am losing weight without her and her food full of who knows what chemicals!

@Puppy Lips  DH makes wonderful ice cream using heavy whipping cream...my fave flavors he has made so far are coffee mocha w/ch chips and blackberry.

ETA: We use Lily's chocolate chips for cookies, biscotti and adding to ice cream

As for bread, we buy ours 6 loaves at a time from a California bakery...sprouted flaxseed...and make sandwiches with it for lunch a few times a week...or toast with eggs, sausage or bacon and a cutie for a brunch. We freeze 5 loaves and always have one in the fridge. Only 16 net carbs for 2 slices and it tastes great. It is the only bread we have eaten for over a year and we don't get tired of it Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I would not take nutrition advice from some nurse over the phone.....

Just saying.  She should have spent her time referring you to a dietitian.

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11  Last time I was low carbing I was getting between 50-60 grams per day but was having difficulties. I think my problem may be that I don’t get enough water — it’s something I really need to be mindful of.

Honored Contributor

Be thankful that your cardiologist is cares enough about you that he's concerned about your weight enough to be on a "holy tear".  I have a dear friend whose husband is seriously overweight.  None of his doctors seem interested in taking him to task.  He has a few different docs because of health problems and they all seem to just say:  "you really could stand to lose a few pounds".  Not doing him any favors, in my opinion, since he then just brushes it off and does nothing.  I fear for his health.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our doctor advised us not to eat too much bread and really watch our sugar items.  I don't know where you live, but schmidt's bread makes a 567 bread that is really good.  I keep a loaf in the freezer and only use it sparingly. I can't imagine not eating fruit.  I do know, however, that grapes are a real problem for diabetics. They are really high in sugar.   Lots of water and exercise is key.  

Honored Contributor

No me has ever gotten fat from eating fruit so I would not cut that out. 

Honored Contributor

Low carb doesn't mean no carb. Ask them how many carbs a day you should aim for, and count them

Honored Contributor

@akaburtonfan wrote:

I try to eat low carb but find I don’t get enough fiber. I’m wondering how all of you who eat this way keep from getting backed up.

@akaburtonfan 

I’ve never had that problem no matter what kind of diet I was following. I don’t eat many carbs at all and it simply isn’t an issue.

The human body doesn’t need fiber and should work fine without it. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

My cardiologist, whom I haven't seen in two years, is on a holy tear about my weight.  So I called his office for diet advice and got a nurse who is obviously one of the converted.  All carbs are bad, even fruit.  She said take supplements.  Somehow I can't get past the idea that I will be missing something important if I cut out all fruit.

I rarely agree with @sidsmom, but, she's right.

I did pretty low-carb for about 6 months. I had fruit a couple of times a day. A bite of bread, potatoes, chips, rice, etc. every few days. Lots of vegetables. Fish about 4 or 5 times a week. I lost a lot of weight that I hadn't intended to lose. It just happened. My blood sugar stabilized. My heart suffered.

Palpitations is a serious by-product of very low-carb. And, it doesn't show up for months or even a year. 

Cutting out most simple (refined) sugar and carbohydrates (junk food) won't harm you. That's it. 

What kind of cardiologist allows his nurse to give such dangerous advice?

Do your research. Don't look for answers here. We're not experts, and most of us have biases and many have blinders and bad information.

This is your health, not advice about clothes or bags or decorating.

ETA

Harvard Health 

"Weight loss is the primary reason my patients use the ketogenic diet. Previous research shows good evidence of a faster weight loss when patients go on a ketogenic or very low carbohydrate diet compared to participants on a more traditional low-fat diet, or even a Mediterranean diet. However, that difference in weight loss seems to disappear over time."

Just an example. Do your research. 

Honored Contributor

Physicians don't know much about nutrition unless they obtained a certification in it and nurses in their offices know far less.  If your insurance allows it, call them back and ask for a referral to a nutritionist at your local hospital.  Many hospitals now have Weight Loss clinics, you can look for one of those.  If that does not appeal to you and you want something easier that really does work; enroll in Weight Watcher's online program.  To answer your question, yes indeed, there are balanced low carb diets.  And there is no reason to abstain from any fruit, even bananas!  Basically, lean proteins, fruits, vegetable, whole grain vegetables.  You can have rice, bread, pasta but it must be whole grain.