Trusted Contributor

Re: Is there a virus going around?

I suffered with this back in March.  I couldn't hear anything for three days plus all the other symptoms.  

Respected Contributor

Last week I had a sudden chill and felt like I was coming down with something. Sneezing some and a runny nose.

I just didn’t feel right.  The pollen wasn’t high so I don’t think allergies were the problem.  

I started taking homeopathic cold/flu pills right away and they seemed to stop whatever was trying to get me. Now I am taking a daily dose of Sambucol for immune support. I think it’s supposed to help with viruses too.

So far, so good today. I remember the last summer cold I had. It was years ago, in August, and I was a miserable mess.

Honored Contributor

I believe there is.  I know several people who have been very ill.  My friend and her 4 year old daughter both were sick.  Her daughter ended up having to go to the ER to get IV fluids because she wasn't keeping anything down.

Honored Contributor

@DJP

There are always viruses going around; community acquired infections continue to rise.   Also, the flu shot you received last fall offers little protection now.   

Honored Contributor

3 things are certain.

Death, taxes, and viruses.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wish there were more rapid testing kits* that can be used in doctors’ offices to make accurate diagnoses of what organisms are making us sick. Doctors can’t send everything out for complete analysis and they can’t wait to begin most treatment. Most of the time, doctors are left relying on patient symptoms and making an educated guess about what we have. We almost never find out what was really wrong with us, as far as identifying the exact organism responsible for the illness.

*There are some, but they usually can only partially diagnose. There are rapid test kits for mono, influenza A and B, strep, Respiratory Synctal Virus. Many of these rapid tests rely on testing antigens parent in patients. These are initial, not confirmatory tests, but they are handy. In this link, the CDC explains about rapid testing for Influenza A and B.

There are machines, such as one from Abbott, that allow doctors to test at the point of care. I think this testing machine is called ID NOW and I think it uses a molecular method. This is a more accurate way of testing than the way most rapid tests work. Results are returned in thirteen minutes. This helps doctors make treatment decisions. This kind of test, however, is not the type of testing used to test organisms through the testing of DNA. The third way is to send out to the lab for viral culture, in other words, grow the virus. Afterwards, DNA testing is used to determine the exact strain of the virus.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/diagnosis/clinician_guidance_ridt.htm

Honored Contributor

@DJP @Mindy D @QueenDanceALot @RedTop @Lipstickdiva 

Good to know.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Thanks for posting this .... I thought it was just me ... have the same

symptoms ... feel like unadulterated you know what ....

Respected Contributor

@grandma_2_2 I think it's the water. I was lucky to have gotten a E-Visit they just start about a year ago with my Dr. And feeling somewhat better. I just haven't wanted to go out and about. Forunately my Husband has been going to pick up what we need.I haven't felt this tired in a while.I filter our water but the heat has been just horrible, so I am going to start changing the filter more often. I pray it helps.

Honored Contributor

I am ini California and all thats going around is a nasty cold with a cough that lasts over 2 momths.  I fought ot, but my husband, older kids, friends and people I meet here and there.  One lady told me she jad a cough on and off since January, and her ribs hurt so bad she had to go on pain meds.