Respected Contributor

Re: Is the flu vaccine going to be the next shortage?

@BalletBabe wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@BalletBabe   and all other anti vaxers

If life was only that simple, but its not there are people that have illnesses or who are aged, surely need the shot to live

@BalletBabe wrote:

Flu Vaccines are a racket.  Eat right and keep your immune system up.  No need to be injected with poisons.

@I am still oxox    Doing massive research about Vaccines let me say this.  Flu Vaccine does not keep people alive.  The chemicals used in them are horrible.  I used to get them every year, and I was sick all the time.  I get nothing now and never get sick.  My Husband took one yearly and a Pneumonia.  He died of Pneumonia.   Explain that?  Not for me.  No one will force me to take the Covid either.  Totally against it.  

There is no doubt that flu vaccines saves lives and decreases illness rates. Hundreds of millions of influenza vaccines are given globally every year and data supports decreased illnesses or severity of illness in vaccinated individuals. 

I am sorry to hear about your husband, but as to explaining how your husband died of pneumonia even though he received a pneumonia vaccine..... there are all types of pneumonia.  The pneumonia vaccines do not provide protection against all causes of pneumonia specifically pneumonias caused by mycoplasma, fungi, other types of microbes, or aspiration pneumonia, ventilator acquired pneumonia, etc. are not covered by the pneumonia vaccines. 

Receiving a pneumonia vaccine does not guarantee that one will not contract or die from other types of pneumonia.  There are multiple strains of a bacteria called streptococcus pneumoniae that causes pneumococcal pneumonia.  These types of pneumonia are community acquired (contagious).   The pneumonia vaccines provides protection for those types of pneumococcal pneumonia only.  Those are the most common threats to the greatest number of people that are contagious. 

So someone can certainly develop pneumonia if it is caused by the many other causes of pneumonia.  Additionally influenza vaccine will not provide protection against  all types of pneumonia.  It would only help provide protection from the viral pnuemonia specific to that specific strain(s)  of influenza by preventing viral transmission in the individual.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

I ran into an NP who works at my doctor's office and we were discussing a few things. She asked me if I had gotten the flu vaccine and I told her I had not and she replied "good."  She and my doctor felt that people were getting it way too early and when full blown flu season hits, the vaccine is going to have lost its efficacy.  She told me if I'm going to get the flu vaccine, to get it before the end of this month though since it takes a couple of weeks to reach it's peak.  

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite , I didn't know about all that but I don't get a flu vaccine because many years, it's under 50% effective.  Sometimes it's under 40% effective.

Honored Contributor

I think it already is. I've been calling the doctor's office every week and the reply was always 'next week'. I finally went and got it at Target. I really didn't want to go to a large store for the shot, but felt I had no choice. My mom needs the high dose vaccine and it seems to be in even shorter supply. They told me at Target they had enough to get through the week but beyond that it was uncertain, as I was going to take her up there to get it. She insists she'll get it from the doctor. Caught with our pants down again. Really, you'd think we could get something right in the midst of this fiasco.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  I've been told the same about getting it too early. From what I gather, mid to late October is the best time to get it.. That said, given the apparent early shortages this year, I got it while the getting was good... The way things are going, it doesn't look like I'll be going out and about much for the foreseeable future, so hopefully whatever immunity the vaccine provides will be worth something.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

I was at my PCP a couple of weeks ago and she told me that I should go to a pharmacy to get my flu vaccination as they had not yet received the vaccine.  So, I went today to our local Walgreen's and they are out of the 65+ vaccine.  They don't expect to get any until MAYBE the end of next week.  

I wonder if more people are getting the flu vaccine now that we have the Covid 19.

@wismiss 

You can have mine.   Due to past bad reactions, I don't get flu shots.

Honored Contributor

I called my doctors office this morning, the nurse gives the flu shot,wanted to stop in tomorrow,but they are low on the senior , so next week ,is the earliest i can get in.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Other years there was a “we ran out “ on the senior shot around here. Lots of older folks here.

I had such a horrible reaction to that one last year, this year I’m going for the “regular” one.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@tsavorite , I didn't know about all that but I don't get a flu vaccine because many years, it's under 50% effective.  Sometimes it's under 40% effective.

@Lipstickdiva 

Is it fair to say, the chance of you dying from the flu is statistically low?

Lower and better odds than dying from Covid-19, yes? ☠️

~Covid-19 virus. Act like you have it, even if you don’t, to protect other people. Please wear a mask,  practice social distancing, and wash hands .~

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

During a routine annual physical  last week, I asked about the wisdom of having the senior flu shot  versus the one for younger folks, because my arm had swelled so much last year after the senior shot.

Doctor recommended that I get the senior shot anyway and simply apply ice if the arm swelled,  so I had it in his office that day. 

I didn't get swelling, but had a slightly sore shoulder and a few days of a somewhat feverish upper arm and itching in that area.  I'm fine since then.

He was pretty firm about getting the senior shot and didn't  even offer the lesser type as an option.  He also recommended that I not pursue the shingles vaccine at this time.

I gathered that the Covid virus inspires  caution against piling on treatments right now that might cause mixed adverse reactions.  

Preventing double bouts of flu viruses might take priority over a shingles attack.