Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is it safe to wait at hospital during Covid-19?

[ Edited ]

About two weeks ago I accompanied my son to the ER. He traveled by ambulance and I followed in the car. When we arrived, he went straight in, while I had to stop at a table to have my temperature taken and answer a few questions.  Then I was allowed to go back to the cubicle where they had taken him - no one was in the waiting room.  We were there about three hours and I wore my mask the entire time.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

@dazzlingdiane wrote:

My husband is having hernia surgery at a hospital an hour away from our house.  Will it be safe for me to wear a mask in the hospital to wait the several hours it will take for the surgery and the recovery?  The surgery is only 30 min. but he will need to arrive at 6:30 a.m. for an 8:00 a.m. surgery and will need time to recover from the anesthetic.

@dazzlingdiane 

IMO, it is probably better to wait out outside or in your car.  

200,000 Americans dead as of this morning.☠️

~Please do your part.  Wear a mask, observe social distancing, wash hands.  It is the patriotic and right thing to do.~ 😷🇺🇸

Respected Contributor

Other people's experiences have nothing to do with you, @dazzlingdiane .  Call the hospital or the MD office and get the straight dope on what is allowed locally.   If the hospital says it is safe, I'd believe them.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Thanks for your reply. Ski trip, your husband? Sounds like ya better watch him with the "drinks"! I don't drink so that one is out for me to use for my falls. 

Hope everything goes well with all these things.

Good news I just got today. Our ice rink is opening and it looks like my 1st public skate will be on October 7th. After how I beat my body up last time after my long layoff? This time it's only 7 months, but last time i was 78 and now i am 81.

I will probably hug the boards before i even attempt where i left off in March. Now gotta get my gear ready! HAL LA LU,YA!!!!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I had surgery 9/11/20 and was allowed to have one person with me, however they had to wait in lobby area. I was surprised because some hospitals aren't allowing any visitors. 

Honored Contributor

My dh is having a procedure early next month.  I will wait in his room while he is having the procedure...and while he recovers.

Honored Contributor

At Re: Is it safe to wait at hospital during Covid-19?

May as well call the hospital and ask what their rules are.  You may not have a choice.  If you have a choice, do what you feel most comfortable with. I'd probably wait in the car because I'd pack a tote with snacks and a variety of things to do.  😁

Trusted Contributor

I think it just depends on the hospital. Here where I live, no one is allowed in but the patient. I had to take my hubby to the emergency room and I was only allowed to wait in my car. It took 4 hours until he got into a room and then I was allowed in but that was only in the emergency room. Once he got an actual room, no visitors allowed at all. So you may not have a choice to make. I think it's best to stay away anyway. Why take the risk, unless of course it's life or death. 

Super Contributor

If your hospital allows is the first question to ask.   Our area is pretty tightly closed on that.

Seondly, where is it in the hospital that you would be asked to wait?   It would need to be in an isolated post op room or a very isolated area for me to suggest you go.    They should be able to accommodate you on that request if they are allowing you to be with him.  

I have a friend who took every precaution possible, but picked up Covid in the ER area even though well protected,   That's why I am most cautious of the hospital more so than any other place you might go.  

Honored Contributor

Just as an fyi, when the hospital called me to preregister me, they informed me of the rules regarding having someone with me.