Respected Contributor

Re: Is it bad to switch back and forth from Orthaheel to other shoes?

[ Edited ]

@house_cat

Not to assume the role of an armchair doctor, but your original post seemed to indicate you are not concerned about foot issues, but knee issues.  Been there, done that, and I was an unlikely candidate (so I thought) for any type of othopedic problem like that.  If my hypothesis about your problem turns out to have some validity, you don't have much to worry about.

My knee got so bad that one day I threw in the towel, so to speak, and saw an orthopedic doc.  By the time I got to his office, I could hardly walk, and was even entertaining the foreboding thought of being a near-cripple for the rest of my life.  One knee was very swollen out to the side of my leg and looked as bad as it felt.

Diagnosis (which I already had predicted) was a Baker's cyst (look it up if not familiar).  Additional diagnosis was "very weak quads"  (quadripceps, or thigh muscles).  Baker's cysts can hide out behind  the knee and prevent a person  from squatting to pick up a dropped object.  They do not necessarily make the knee swell outward as mine did.

Recommendation was either a cortisone shot (no thanks) or physical therapy.  I went to  5 or 6 sessions of physical therapy and came away with a short list of exercises that I have been doing daily  for the past 3 years or so, free of any more Baker's cyst and free of knee pain.  The main incentive to keep up these simple exercises is that they improve my overall figure and have significantly strengthened my abdominal muscles--a bonus! 

You will hear from some people that doctors have lanced or drained  their Baker's cysts.  When the physical therapist told me these cysts can go away on their own if you do things right and are not permanent, I didn't believe her.  Sure enough, exercises got rid of any sign of knee swelling within about 2 weeks,  and my knee looks and feels  perfectly normal.

None of this might apply to you.  But I hope it gives you some "hope" for improvement!!  Good luck and do see a good orthopedic MD.

Honored Contributor

OP, I am an extreme  PF Survivor, and I do wear good arch support shoes .... some of the time.    Other times (for short periods) other shoes.   

If your knee was not part of the original problem, you should get yourself checked out asap .... this sounds like apples and oranges, if you know what I mean.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

What's the verdict on the knee today?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

There is no verdict, bird, and that has me really concerned.  I couldn't see the orthopedist today, but I saw the physician assistant. They took xrays and examined me and recommended an MRI.  I still can't walk without crutches and I'm so very worried because I have people to take care of.  

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat

Okay, forgive me as I bombard you with questions (lol).

1.  Was it the ortho's PA that saw you?

2.  Are you waiting for the results of the x-ray to be reviewed by the

ortho or did he/she look at the x-rays and say, hmm inconclusive, need

an MRI?

3.  Did they schedule the MRI for you or just hand you crutches and

show you the door?

I know that your parents depend on you.  I know DH is good about helping the parents, God knows he has his.  If DS can help without making it worse, he's going to have to.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, Bird.  Thankfully, I feel a lot better today.  My school was closed the last two days and I've scheduled a sick day for tomorrow.  I'm hopefully expecting that I can return to school on Thursday, even if I'm using crutches. Half the kids in my school are on crutches because adolescence is such an awkward age - they're constantly breaking arms and legs, so I'll fit right in.

I was seen only by the PA yesterday.  She showed me the xrays and there is clearly nothing structurally wrong with the bones in my knee. They sent in the order for the MRI, it's up to me to schedule it.

I received my Orthaheel sneakers today and they are wonderful.  They look kind of goofy, as I never go out with sneakers on, except to exercise.  However, it's all about comfort and health right now, so I'm wearing them exclusively for the time being.

I have the most ridiculously busy couple of weeks ahead, with doctor appointments for my oldsters and a retirement party I'm cohosting for my BFF.  If it doesn't feel better by the end of this week I will take another day off and schedule the MRI.  I do believe that it was a severe sprain of some kind - why it happened, I don't know.

ETA: they prescribed an anti-inflamatory to take once a day.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Before scheduling the MRI, I would wear those new orthoheel sneakers for a good week, and see if that structured alignment makes a difference----particularly since the knee X-ray is normal.