Honored Contributor

Is it bad to switch back and forth from Orthaheel to other shoes?

Three years ago I had such a severe problem with plantar fasciitis, until I started wearing nothing but Orthaheel shoes. To say they helped is an understatement. I have many styles, but no walking shoes. Soooo, lately I've been walking with my Sketcher Go Walks.  They are very comfy on the feet, but I think switching back and forth has caused a bad knee issue. My right knee has been bothering me more and more, until today when I actually couldn't walk to my car from work. I had to call DH to come get me and I used a walker to get into the house. 

Does anyone think that the switching back and forth from Orthaheel support to lack of support could cause this issue?

Right now I have ice on it for some relief, but I have no idea when I'll be able to walk on this leg again.

Any insight would be appreciated.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Is it bad to switch back and forth from Orthaheel to other shoes?

I'd have your physician take a look. May not be related to shoes. That's a pretty severe reaction, having to use a walker. If you were limping, I'd say maybe the shoes, but not this. Take an X-ray of that knee.

hope you feel better soon!

Esteemed Contributor

My feet feel better when I switch up my shoes.  When I wear the same shoes too frequently my feet ache.  I get relief when I switch shoes.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Three years ago I had such a severe problem with plantar fasciitis, until I started wearing nothing but Orthaheel shoes. To say they helped is an understatement. I have many styles, but no walking shoes. Soooo, lately I've been walking with my Sketcher Go Walks.  They are very comfy on the feet, but I think switching back and forth has caused a bad knee issue. My right knee has been bothering me more and more, until today when I actually couldn't walk to my car from work. I had to call DH to come get me and I used a walker to get into the house. 

Does anyone think that the switching back and forth from Orthaheel support to lack of support could cause this issue?

Right now I have ice on it for some relief, but I have no idea when I'll be able to walk on this leg again.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I don't have plantar fasciitis or any other foot condition. I switch back and forth between my Vionic shoes and regular shoes without any problems. But your situlation is not the same as mine. In your case, I wouldn't use the sketchers for anything more than casual use like running errands. For fitness walking I'd consider getting a pair of Vionic sneakers since the brand has already helped you. If you're seeing a podiatrist obviously get his medical opinion first.  

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the responses.  I will have to see a doctor this weekend. I don't know what's going on, but I can't put even the tiniest bit of pressure on my right leg. I wouldn't mind so much if I could just lay here and heal, but I have responsibilities. Anyway, thanks for the good wishes and advice.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Not sure house_cat, but it sounds like it could be unrelated. You never know though. I too have relied on the Vionics as well as other inserts for shoes due to heel spurs which creates that pain. My feet have felt much better so I've been trying other shoes too including a pair of Go walks. The Skechers are comfy but I don't feel the support is the same and as someone else suggested I would use them only for short running around. I feel the lack of support in my foot though, haven't had knee trouble. It's good you're going to get it checked as having to use your walker is pretty serious. Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

It's complicated, isn't it, what affects the body.  For a number of reasons (hip replacement being one of them) I turned to men's Spencos, and I don't dare wear anything else.  They are right by the bed and I slip into them before my feet hit the floor, and they are all I wear around town.  My feet are 100% better with them, and Spenco had a clearance sale going on so I bought like 18 pairs.  I never go barefoot anymore.

Now my back is out.  But I did take a physically demanding job and I pretended for awhile I was 10 years younger.  Had to quit that job.  Silly me.  I'd kick myself if I could still get that leg high enough.

Good luck to you. 

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Thanks for the responses.  I will have to see a doctor this weekend. I don't know what's going on, but I can't put even the tiniest bit of pressure on my right leg. I wouldn't mind so much if I could just lay here and heal, but I have responsibilities. Anyway, thanks for the good wishes and advice.

YES, having musculoskeletal issues like PF and the pain they cause can screw up your entire body. When some part of our ability to stand and walk is "off" for whatever reason, our bones, muscles and joints get all out of whack while compensating for it. I have bad PF and I had knee issues when I started wearing Vionics. It took about 6 weeks before I wasn't compensating so much and my gait settled down. NOW, 3 years later, I have much, much less pain in all my knee, hip, and ankle joints with wearing Vionics.

Having PF is like having diabetes - you can get it under good control, but you can't "cure" it in the sense that you can stop taking medicine or stop wearing orthotic shoes. Stick with the Vionics, or buy the Vionic or Birkenstock orthotics you can wear in any shoe. That way, your gait will always be the best it can be.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Putting the orthotic inserts into your sketchers is a good idea, if they will fit in those shoes correctly. I tried putting the inserts from my Vionic sneakers into another pair shoes but they wouldn't fit as the footbed wasn't the right shape.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

My thoughts are that it is bad to switch shoes when one brand resolved an issue with your feet.  In the 3 years since my knee replacement, I can see a big difference in my feet, as far as keeping them happy in shoes.   I got rid of all shoes after my surgery, because my foot set straight in my shoes after surgery, but the wear pattern in my shoes was made by a foot that turned outwards from a degenerative knee, which put stress on my new knee.   It has taken me 2 years to fully adjust to a pair of Vionic thong sandals.  I always wanted to reach for my comfy, and broken in Skechers thongs, but realized they would be "undoing" what the Vionics were doing, so I got rid of all thong sandals except the Vionic ones.  My feet draw and cramp when I wear loafers and other comfortable shoes, so I have tossed shoes all summer.   Right now I am down to only 5 pair of shoes and 2 pair of boots that make my feet happy.   I absolutely believe an alignment issue from different shoes can cause the situation you are experiencing.