Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is anyone here on oxygen at home?

@Still Raining  I agree that adults should choose what they want medically.  I stopped saying anything to her awhile ago.

That said, if I were seriously ill and would not do what would help me feel better, I feel like I forfeit the right to keep saying how bad I feel.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Still Raining  I agree that adults should choose what they want medically.  I stopped saying anything to her awhile ago.

That said, if I were seriously ill and would not do what would help me feel better, I feel like I forfeit the right to keep saying how bad I feel.

Bingo! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining  Bingo is right.  I said that's my feeling and what I would do.  My sister complains how bad she feels.  I don't say squat.  

Her daughters are worried about her, as am I.  If she ignores medical advise and then proceeds to tell my niece how bad she feels my niece will speak up.

Case in point, today she told me all the meds she has to take, some with food, some without, before bedtime, etc.  There must be a ton.  Some are, in her words, horse pills and she has trouble getting them down.

She said "well, I'll take the ones I can and not worry about the ones I have trouble taking."   Well, okey dokey.  No idea of what she is not taking that she needs to improve.

I said zip.  Her daughter will speak up. It's hard not to with her attitude.

She is my only sibling and I love her to death, if I thought it would help I'd kick her butt from here to the moon.

Esteemed Contributor

It must be hard to see this in a sister.  Dare I mention that she may need more care, like assisted living?  For help with oxygen and medication?  Let go and let God.

Respected Contributor

My Mom was like this....she couldn't walk a few feet w/o needing to sit down and gasping but she didn't NEED oxygen!  and told me she didn't want to become dependent on it.  I was like WHAT??? she was so bad that in the mornings she couldn't manage to get her lung treatment set up...and my brother living at home would be rushing in trying to quickly get it going so she could breath.  BUT NO she didn't need oxygen!  Was terrified of it and said all kinds of awful things about seeing someone out in public with one.  

It made ZERO sense to me....here my sister was sick with MS and was in a wheelchair from age 19 to 42 (when she passed) she got over being in a wheelchair and my Mom encouraged her to go out when she felt up to it.  But when it came to my Mom having to go out in public (or at home alone even) wearing anything like oxygen well heck no!

Some people are worse then others....I don't get it at all.  If I can't see I wear my glasses/contacts...if I can't hear...I'll be getting a hearing aid.  If I need whatever to get around...I'll be using it LOL!

The 90yr old lady with her tank doing yoga is AMAZING!  Good for her she is living life no matter what...I LOVE IT!  

I think the way you are handling this with your sister is the best approach...when she says she's not doing XYZ just go on to another topic like the weather. 

Esteemed Contributor

Her daughter helped with her meds.  The youngest lives fairly close.  The oldest, the nurse, lives 4 hours away.  She is coming up this weekend.

My sis's husband is there but is not much of a help.

We will just have to see what happens.  

Trusted Contributor

The portable tanks don't hold as much oxygen and doesn't last as long.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Is it difficult to get used to?  Does the machine's noice keep you awake?

My sister was in the hospital the week before last for blood vessels in her stomach bleeding.  While there they discovered her blood oxygen level was between 77 to 82.  They sent her home with oxygen of course.  She said she doesn't need it because she is breathing, her lungs are fine. We said it's the oxygen in her blood that is the issue.

She is arguing with her daughter about using it.  It's too noisy at night, she can't sleep. She'll try to use it half the night.  The tubing is too long she is going to trip. She said she will use it at home but not when she goes out.  Oy.

Any pointers for adapting to life with oxygen?

I'm 2 hrs, away and don't say much because she has 12 reasons why she can't or won't follow Dr.'s orders.

I've been on O2 at home  24/7, have a concentrator, and 25 ft of hose, can't hear concentrator, and have never tripped over tubing. i also bought a oxometer from Amazon. fits on your finger and registers the O2 level. I have a portable when I go out, never bought the  new one. I also have 50 ft of tubing in the basement that I hook onto my 25 ft up in the house. Can get in my shower in the basement or out to the road to my mailbox.I'm also a retired respitory therapy girl, so this all doesnt really bother me. When she gets bad enough she'll use it. I find it no different than any other thing you need to feel good. She is fighting you all because she has to use it. I'm 86 years old so not a young person..  

Esteemed Contributor

@tsavorite  It's not her being seen with oxygen in public.  She was born with double club feet and although she had many surgeries as a child she has always limped.  One leg is thinner than the other.  It never bothered her, she wore shorts in the summer.

She was always bull headed but she has gotten much worse in the last couple of years.

I am concerned about her, but she is adult and her mind is fine, so it's her choice to do what is recommended or not. I just won't argue with her, it's exhausting and it doesn't help my already high blood pressure.

Respected Contributor

Yes many of us are on Oxygen on these boards due to health and age related issues. A rapid heart beat was what prompted my doctor to investigate and it was discovered I had hypoexmia in the blood.  It is very sad indeed, as I remember being younger and not needing it.  But the COPD got worse.