Respected Contributor

Re: Is anyone else avoiding the stores and malls ?

No change whatsoever.

BTW Wegmans has had disinfectant wipes dispensers near their carts for years for customers to use, if they choose.

That's certainly more practical (and long-term 😉) than Costco temporarily deploying staff to wipe down carts, which I'm sure won't extend past the hype-- which they're helping to create.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take off my shoes before entering my house and then I wash my hands. Same as I've always done after coming home from shopping or doing anything else. Floors in stores, sidewalks and parking lots have stuff on them which I don't want in my house.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My 2nd son has picked up something...not sure if it's flu or not...told him I would stop by his place to drop off some meds and food in the morning for him.  I plan on just putting the bag at the apt door...he told me he can hear other people in the apt's coughing like he is...they are all sick.  

He's not sure if he got this at work or where. I just hope he feels better soon.

As for us we went out to eat with our youngest son who came over Saturday....went to Costco shopping today.  I'll be at Meijer getting more shopping tomorrow for my son who is sick plus us.  

I just wear my gloves at all times LOL! and have hand sanitizer with me in the car.  Meijer can really be a cr@p shoot...I can't tell you how many times I've gone in for a few items and there was vomit all over the floors from parents taking young sick kids grocery shopping!  

Frequent Contributor

I'm not changing anything.  The virus has hit my City with one in the hospital and one teenager in home isolaiton. They came back from a school trip to Italy.  The school they are from is about 3 miles from my house so who knows if I've been to a place they have been since they were diagnosied, cant worry, I just wash my hands.

Trusted Contributor

@violann wrote:

This is a REAL shocker for me- some of our local mega stores have installed dispensers for sanitizing wipes to clean up pushing bars on shoppig carts.

I AM ALMOST ALWAYS THE ONLY SHOPPER I SEE USING THEM.

Two second out of a busy day?? Worth it to me!

I see them in our stores and if they're available we'll grab one and use one on the cart.

Most of the time though, the container/dispenser is empty and there aren't any wipes available for use.

I usually end up using my own little bottle of sanitizer on my hands at some point during shopping anyway, and I share it with my husband.

I always carry one in one of the side pockets of my purse. 

Trusted Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I did have to go to the grocery store yesterday...a woman pushed her basket between mine and the shelves, when their really wasn’t room for it, and sneezed on me! I was horrified but it was so fast I could not avoid it. I always wash my hands as soon as I get home from anywhere...but washed my face this time also. The only good thing about the constant reminders on tv to take precautions of hand washing, etc. is maybe it will help everyone avoid the flu, colds, and other viruses as well.

I think that this is how I keep getting sick this year--from people coughing and sneezing right on top of me when we're out at the stores...

We usually go out every other week and stock up on groceries and health and beauty items and prescription items--things like that.

I am sick once again as I write this.

My lungs were irritated last night and I started coughing and wheezing a bit more, and then I woke up feeling really tired today, and not feeling quite right like I do when I get sick with a virus. 

Honored Contributor

I am certainly avoiding malls and stores.  I most always do.  I avoid shopping now days pretty much because with so many choices we have, it is difficult to find what you want without chasing all over town.

I avoid movie theaters and have for years because they have gotten so nasty and people are rude and thoughtless, and I can't think of any move I have been excited to see.

I always stay in as much as I can during flu season!  It is a huge benefit of retirement!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I am certainly avoiding malls and stores.  I most always do.  I avoid shopping now days pretty much because with so many choices we have, it is difficult to find what you want without chasing all over town.

I avoid movie theaters and have for years because they have gotten so nasty and people are rude and thoughtless, and I can't think of any move I have been excited to see.

I always stay in as much as I can during flu season!  It is a huge benefit of retirement!  

I swear we are related.I feel exactly as you do.We shop really early for groceries before everyone else is out of bed.I avoid people in general during flu season but this year is going to be a long time to social distance.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

At the risk of irritating people who are sick of doom/gloom......this morning's news has more of it.

Georgia now has its first two confirmed corona cases, believed to involve someone returned here after a trip to Italy.

Heard another news report about an ill student who was on a class trip to Italy and came back to the U.S. with it.  Not clear whether that is the same Italy connection  mentioned above.

I'm glad to no longer have kids in school or away at college.  One student gets sick, so classmates are at risk and then go home to pass it along to their families.

The Georgia cases involve one household in the north Atlanta area.  The victims and family members are quarantined at home, not hospitalized.

Hope they have all the TP and other supplies they need.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shopping lists grow for some metro Atlantans with coronavirus concerns

by Matt Kemper, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

March 3, 2020 

Federal health officials urged Americans to prepare for a coronavirus outbreak, and some metro Atlantans have responded in a big way.

Shoppers — some sheepish and some emphatic — have packed at least some local stores in recent days for items to deal with a possible pandemic. Hot sellers included cases of water, hand sanitizer, disinfecting alcohol and cleaning wipes, facial tissues and paper towels, leaving some store shelves temporarily depleted, though more supplies are on the way, said workers at two local Costcos and a local Walmart.

With still no confirmed coronavirus cases in Georgia as as of Monday afternoon [this changed the next day, with 2 cases confirmed], many residents hadn’t changed their habits. Tia Savay of Lawrenceville was shopping Costco on Monday, but she said she wasn’t picking up anything extra because she already had enough cleaning supplies and water with what she regularly gets.

“I know it’s a scary deal, but I think people are taking it out of proportion,” she said.

Others say the steps they are taking are just common sense. At a Walmart on Monday, Lawrenceville grandmother Rebecca Rice was finishing her second run to stock up in case of a pandemic. Rice said she bought enough food to last her family for a month or longer, with everything from canned food to rice. “It’s always worse than they tell you,” she said.

There were news reports of big rushes at stores in other parts of the nation, including California, New York, Oregon and Minnesota. Walmart, Costco, Publix and Kroger spokespeople did not respond to Atlanta Journal-Constitution requests for comment by deadline Monday.

Some consumers’ shopping lists at a Gwinnett County Walmart included an item the store had run out of: face masks, which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention specifically doesn’t recommend for healthy members of the general public. In fact, the U.S. surgeon general is calling for consumers to stop those purchases, saying the masks won’t help them and health workers need the equipment.

Sheila Eads, the chief executive of ERB Industries, a Woodstock-based industrial safety products supplier and maker, said her masks supplies were spoken for weeks ago when coronavirus became a significant concern in China. More masks are being made by her suppliers, but those are quickly allocated. “For the next three weeks I find it difficult to say there will be availability for the average folks looking for one,” she said

A federal government web site, www.ready.gov/pandemic, recommends that individuals prepare for a pandemic by storing a two-week supply of water and food. It also suggests making sure to have enough regular prescription drugs at home as well as nonprescription drugs and supplies, such as “pain relievers, stomach remedies, cough and cold medicines, fluids with electrolytes and vitamins.”

It also suggests having copies of health records handy and to “talk with family members and loved ones about how they would be cared for if they got sick, or what will be needed to care for them in your home.”

Workers at a Gwinnett County Walmart said Monday they were temporarily out of hand sanitizer, masks and alcohol for cleaning as shoppers prepared for the new coronavirus, officially known as COVID-19.

At a Costco in Duluth, shoppers had depleted the least-expensive cases of water bottles and some other products, a worker said Monday. Last weekend was expected to be a particularly busy one because of soon-to-expire coupons, but more than twice as many shoppers than expected showed up early on, the staff member added.

At a Costco in Buford, a worker told a shopper last weekend’s crowds rivaled or exceeded those around Christmas.
Nikita Wilcox, who was there Sunday, said she picked up more food than normal and grabbed the last two boxes of diapers. The family bought masks from a nearly bare shelf at Home Depot days earlier.

“I feel like people are pretending not to freak out, but secretly they are freaking out,” she said.