Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is anyone else avoiding the stores and malls ?

I am doing my usual which is avoid malls during flu season.  I have adjusted my errand running times though to minimize crowds when possible.  I have kept all my appointments so far.  I do hesitate to bring my mother out this month though, so that appointment might be rescheduled as a precaution.

Honored Contributor

I always avoid the Malls.  I rarely shop for anything sold there.

I am at the grocery store several times a week and usually either Costco or Sam's Club as well.

I still go, the same as usual.  I buy for myself and others who can't get out or drive.  I also visit a friend at a nursing home several times a week.  Finally, the flu which was going through there is now gone.

Yesterday, at the nursing home, an elderly man was coughing so bad and not covering his mouth while sitting at a table with three other men at an open casual sitting area in the hall way.  I admit that I got out of that area as fast as I could...

I go on business as usual...but keep diligent in removing myself around people who are coughing.

Honored Contributor

Haven't been to a mall in a long, long time. Purchase almost everything onlline because of convenience.

Honored Contributor

Have no need to go to the mall right now which is good.  Ordered my groceries for delivery this week too.  I have gone walking and gone a couple of places that were not crowded since I went early.   Since I'm a senior with some health issues, trying to stay out of crowds.

Trusted Contributor

I normally hate going to the mall but now that we have our first offical coronavirus cases in my city I might go because it will be a ghost town. Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

I take seriously that this is a worry for those with anxiety and for those who are elderly or already ill, but I am not changing anything.

I blame China for this mess...I hope there is fall out for their lack of transparency.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have so few malls that are still open, I rarely go in them anyway. The grocery store this afternoon was pure chaos...never again. We are now going to stick close to home, make do with what we have, and I think we will be just fine. Two cases of strep in the family and one case of flu type A...but DH and myself are not sick, so no family get-togethers until this whole thing passes over.

Respected Contributor

DH and I are basically considering ourselves "homebound" for the next whatever weeks.  We will also wipe down things that come to the door.

If it helps us, it helps everyone.

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

This is a REAL shocker for me- some of our local mega stores have installed dispensers for sanitizing wipes to clean up pushing bars on shoppig carts.

I AM ALMOST ALWAYS THE ONLY SHOPPER I SEE USING THEM.

Two second out of a busy day?? Worth it to me!

UPDATING- I went to a local Walmart and our local supermarket, a day or two before our area shut down, and I did see 3 or 4 people using wipes. 

DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO STAY WELL!

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

No reason to avoid our Mall it's like a ghost town.

I just had a doctor appt, had labs done, had dental cleaning.

I just ordered $325 online from Wal-Mart. I also placed an order with them online, another order from Target & Amazon.

I stock up before it gets cold so I don't have so much to lug home so it's time to restock because I don't like lugging a lot home when it's hot either. LOL!!! 

My main reason to stock so much is I hate going to the store. You can't find everything you need here so I also have to order online.

My son who works for UPS told me yesterday that he suspects many of the drivers will refuse to come to work for awhile.  If this does happen, they will certainly have a back up on deliveries.  Praying for the best.