Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone doing a keto diet?

@YorkieonmyPillow

DD and DSIL have been on keto diets.

DSIL does great with it as far as weight, but I’m not convinced that it is good for him long-term. He has been on it for 3 years.

It did not serve DD well at all and she is now on the Xingular (sp) diet. It works for now...

I lost 20 lbs when resorting to unhealthy means...I only ate oatmeal, salmon/tuna/green apple for lunch. Dinner was balanced protein (WW low points chicken breast or other low-fat meat option) and not much else. 

I drank as much Metamucil as it took. (tired of being constipated).

I lost my appetite entirely and was glad, but feel that those 5 or so years may have done damage. My MD said probably not. Once my appetite started coming back, after eating stuff I loved, I was my usual voracious self. 😢

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Regular Contributor

I don’t usually respond to these topics because opinions run very different on the “right” way to eat.

dieting never works.   A change in lifestyles is what is needed.  Back in November I decided to change the way I virewed food and my body images/hang ups.

What I decided was the right choice for me was Intertmittent Fasting with  a Keto-Like lifestyle.  

Approx 70 percent healthy fat, 20 percent protein and 5 percent conscious carbs.  However I don’t measure food or count calories or macros - just use this as a guide.

I eat during a 4-6 hour window at the same time everyday, and “fast” for the remainder of the day.  A lot of this time for fasting is when I’m sleeping so it isn’t as hard as it may sound.

This is not a “fad”.  It’s a very logical and medically proven beneficial way of eating.  It may not be right for everyone - but it’s one of the best things I’ve ever done.

I have never felt or looked better with little to no effort.

If you are interested check out Dr. Jason Fung on YouTube - one of may medical professionals who embrace this.

Hope this is informative to you OP and to whoever else was curious about IF/Keto.

Best of Luck and Heatlh to you!

Honored Contributor

“..conscious carbs.”

Have to say that’s a new one.

Is it because the oblivious carbs are too busy?

Honored Contributor

I eat 2 meals a day. The first one is breakfast and it is always the same. About 5 hrs later I eat a combo of lunch/dinner

I keep this one a small meal. I fast for long peroids of time  for my blood sugar, and because of stomach issues.  For a snack I will have some nuts or popcorn or  strawberries. I was just reading today at my husbands Chiro ,popcorn has more  health benefits than people realize, but you can't load it down with butter and salt. It said that the hulls are really beneficial to your health..yuck with that

People really need far less food than we think we do.  

Regular Contributor

LOL!

just a phrase I picked up from someone else - it means the carbs that are good for me that I choose to put in my body.  For example - broccoli is a good carb - white bread is a bad carb.

I know from years of reading this board and all of your posts that you may not necessarily agree with me on IF/Keto and that’s ok.  Every body is different and what works beautifully for some may not for others.

It’s all about the choices we choose to make for ourselves.

Honored Contributor

@olive59

Thanks for the shout out.

Really all food has a mix of Carbohydrate/Protein/Fat.

Instead of the ‘good/bad’ words,

I like ‘unprocessed/processed’...

or even ‘fiber/no fiber’.

Honored Contributor

@cherry

Cherry, my youngest daughter has been getting me various nuts (peanuts, almonds, walnuts) ground from fresh (shells still on) nuts at Mom's for a few weeks now.  It's got nothing in it but the natural product, and is delicious.  It's inexpensive and a godsend when one has a stomach like mine. 

I also eat twice a day.  Once in the morning, and my main (but small) meal around 4 PM.  I take enzymes and it's improving my bloat issues.  The manuka honey tastes great and is helping also.  I eat sparingly, not on purpose, I just have a small appetite.  I am also seeing an improvement in my digestion.  I find it doesn't matter much what I eat, as long as it's not junk food (which I never ate anyway). 

I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence, but I am trying to increase my food consumption because of the lost weight.  I'll be happy to get back up to 120 lbs., because that is the perfect weight for me.  That should happen now that I'm less uncomfortable.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@olive59

Or just "Whole Food".

Everything from Count Chocula cereal to lentils are tossed in the same "CARB" bin so often.  How many times have I heard that a study was done but there was no differentiation made between carbohydrates from broccoli to those from white flour?

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@olive59

Or just "Whole Food".

Everything from Count Chocula cereal to lentils are tossed in the same "CARB" bin so often.  How many times have I heard that a study was done but there was no differentiation made between carbohydrates from broccoli to those from white flour?

Also....that’s where the Glycemic Index gets wonky.

Even Dr. David Jenkins (panelist at the Vatican Comference) 

who is one of the developers of the Glycemic Index says

the Public using this information all wrong

(i.e. potatoes high on the GI, but a Snickers bar? Low)

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@olive59

Or just "Whole Food".

@QueenDanceALot

This is so true, Kitty!