Regular Contributor

Is anyone concerned about take out

Is anyone concerned about take out or getting food at a drive thru right now?  I have not had any since all of this began.  I just read yesterday of a lady that has not gone out for weeks yet she got the virus. The only thing she has done is have her groceries delivered!! This is scary. Made me wonder if it is even safe to get take out or drive thru also.

If we all had the same opinion or everyone was the same. the world would be a very boring place!
Valued Contributor

Re: Is anyone concerned about take out

I have gotten take out and have gone out to get groceries.

Take the required precautions.

Respected Contributor

My husband goes out and gets takeout for us. He wears a mask when he goes.  And when he comes home, we transfer the food to regular plates and throw the packagings away.  That way we don't have contact with any of the surfaces that the restaurant employees touched .  Also, we don't order anything that is not cooked (sushi, salad, buns...etcs).  Heat kills the virus, so we feel safer with hot foods. 

Respected Contributor

The person you mentioned may have had an underlying immune condition that made her very susceptible....and she could have gotten it on her mailbox, the garbage dumpster door...none of us lives in a total bubble.  

I don't think most healthy people have to worry as long as they are distancing.  

I keep reading takeout food is safe....but to me it's not worth the hassle.  You don't know who has touched (or potentially coughed) on the food or the  food containers, bags, opening the door or window to deliver.....,then they say to microwave the food for a minute when you get it home.  Much as I like restaurant food, I am going to pass for the time being.

But I know lots of people are getting takeout.  Everyone has to work with their own comfort level.

Respected Contributor

Not at all...we've been getting takeout once or twice a week at the places we normally go to eat. We eat it out of the containers it comes in, but we do wash our hands after opening them, before we sit down to eat. Also wash after throwing the packaging away.

Honored Contributor

No.  We do it all the time.  We want to support our local businesses as much as possible during this time.  I don't like to cook so it's a win/win.  

Honored Contributor

It's a personal choice, I have not gotten take-out or gone through a drive-thru since this started. Yet I go to the grocery store every 10-14 days which isn't safe either.  

Trusted Contributor

@HouseMouse 

No, I'm not. I'm more concerned about my favorite restaurants being able to survive this and reopen so I order takeout 2 or 3 times per week.

Respected Contributor

No, I have not and no current plans to do so. If I do, will transfer to my own containers from trunk of car and then trash restaurant containers. I know we should support local businesses but still a little skeptical about it. I do buy rotisserie chicken that is hot at grocery store usually once a week and transfer to my own container as soon as I get home. Have not had any health issues yet. I do see a lot of people in large condo development where I live either having restaurant delivery or bringing in food from restaurants. Hope they follow proper procedures with containers etc.
Respected Contributor

We have been ordering takeout for delivery at least twice per week since this whole lockdown began. Not having to cook every single night helps reduce stress. I don't feel worried about the food being contaminated. I figure all the workers are wearing masks and gloves, so low risk. No worse than buying groceries.