Honored Contributor

I do not remember ever having  chicken pox.... I did get the shingles shot. 

I did get bell's Palsy about 20 years ago, so I guess I did have chicken pox at sometime in my life to have the virus come out as bells palsy years ago.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your answers!

SM, I had BP also but have never heard that this is connected to Chicken Pox.  I learn so much here!

I will mention this when I see my new doc.  I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to write!

Respected Contributor

@software. Same with me but I did opt to get the vaccine - Shingles was SO miserable...

Honored Contributor

I remember having chicken pox. My mom cut the elastic on the cuffs of all my nighties because they were bothering me so much. So all of my nighties had funny looking cuffs until I grew out of them...because I had chicken pox.

Never had shingles and never care to. I've heard the pain rivals dental pain. Yikers.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is There A test?

[ Edited ]

@RealtyGal2 wrote:

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

Can a test show if somone has had Chicken Pocks?  

I do not want to get a Shingles shot if I didn't have this.

Past test showed I had not had MMR so I got that one.  Expensive and not covered by my insurance.

Is the Shingles shot covered by any insurance?  I do not have a doctor yet.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

You would remember if you had Measles or Chicken Pox.

@RealtyGal2 
My son was 18 months old when he caught chicken pox from his kindergarten aged brother.  I know that he doesn't remember the horrible experience, but I sure do.  Impossible to keep a child that age from scratching.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

If you had Chickenpox you are at risk for Shingles. Especially as you age. I have read that 1/3 of the US population is at risk for Shingles. This is not some small itchy rash. This is nerve pain and can last for years. My cousin had Shingles and lost the sight in one of her eyes. My sister had Shingles twice. The last time shortly before she died. Her left leg was paralysed and she was bedridden after this. For anyone who had Chickenpox and is hesitant to get the Shingles vaccination I urge you to do your research. Look at pictures of the shingles sores and read about the pain that can last for years. This is nothing to play around with.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Jackhound Mom I, too, wanted to get that test.  I was never sure whether I had the Chicken Pox or not and I figured if I never had it, I shouldn't need the shingles vaccine. I still feel that way, but my Doctor wasn't interested in finding out, just wanted me to get the vaccine.  So, I caved and got the shot.  I have BCBS and it paid for it.

My sister got a full-on cae of Chicken Pox.  I came down with one possible spot on my scalp which was enough to get me out of school, so that was all I cared about at the time.  I'm not sure there was any other way of verifying it.  There was no Chicken Pox vaccine when I was growing up, so when my daughter got Chicken Pox I was afraid I would also come down with it, but didn't.  So, maybe I had it, or maybe I have a natural immunity.  I'll never know.

@Icegoddess 

Having had Chicken Pox is what sets you up for Shingles.  If you have had Chicken Pox you can get Shingles without a vaccine, and possibly a lighter case even then.

If you have never had Chicken Pox, you can still get them.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Jackhound Mom I, too, wanted to get that test.  I was never sure whether I had the Chicken Pox or not and I figured if I never had it, I shouldn't need the shingles vaccine. I still feel that way, but my Doctor wasn't interested in finding out, just wanted me to get the vaccine.  So, I caved and got the shot.  I have BCBS and it paid for it.

My sister got a full-on cae of Chicken Pox.  I came down with one possible spot on my scalp which was enough to get me out of school, so that was all I cared about at the time.  I'm not sure there was any other way of verifying it.  There was no Chicken Pox vaccine when I was growing up, so when my daughter got Chicken Pox I was afraid I would also come down with it, but didn't.  So, maybe I had it, or maybe I have a natural immunity.  I'll never know.

@Icegoddess 

Having had Chicken Pox is what sets you up for Shingles.  If you have had Chicken Pox you can get Shingles without a vaccine, and possibly a lighter case even then.

@Drythe Chicken Pox and Shingles are the SAME virus.  It just lies dormant in the body.   While I could get Chicken Pox, the chance of that happening for me would be very slim since I already had two strong exposures with my sister (who I slept with) and my daughter.  Now there is a vaccine for Chicken Pox, so the chance of me getting exposed would be rare.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess 

@Drythe Chicken Pox and Shingles are the SAME virus.  It just lies dormant in the body.   While I could get Chicken Pox, the chance of that happening for me would be very slim since I already had two strong exposures with my sister (who I slept with) and my daughter.  Now there is a vaccine for Chicken Pox, so the chance of me getting exposed would be rare.  

@Icegoddess 

That’s what I said.  A person who has not had Chicken Pox - If exposed to A person with active Shingles - can get Chicken Pox.  Guess you have no worries if you have had the Chicken Pox vaccine.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess 

@Icegoddess 

That’s what I said.  A person who has not had Chicken Pox - If exposed to A person with active Shingles - can get Chicken Pox.  Guess you have no worries if you have had the Chicken Pox vaccine.  

@Drythe I haven't had the Chicken Pox vaccine, but the kids are all getting it now. However, I have had the Shingles vaccine. I just would've liked to have known if I had actually had them or not.