Trusted Contributor

Re: Is It Necessary To Get A Annual Physical

I never really had phyiscal when I was younger, I would just go to the ob gyn.  Now, as I am older, and am on thyroid meds, I need to go to be tested once a year.

Honored Contributor

I wish my doctors looked like this.  LOL

Kiley.jpg

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I think it's a personal choice to get an annual exam.  I will tell you I have seen people go in for tests and everything was great and they had a heart attack shortly afterward or get a cancer diagnosis.  You just never really know, things can happen very quickly.

Esteemed Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I think it's a personal choice to get an annual exam.  I will tell you I have seen people go in for tests and everything was great and they had a heart attack shortly afterward or get a cancer diagnosis.  You just never really know, things can happen very quickly.

Two heart attacks here, The first one? Not quickly, but certainly not expected. The 2nd one? I knew immediately when/where, and maybe even why it happened. Now that is heart disease.

Cancer? I don't know that it ever happens "quickly". I think that more of the time it is because people ignore the symptoms. Some, I think fear the worst, thus figure if they ignore it, they will be fine.

Sure, there are no guarantees when one has an annual physical, but many things can be detected early and that can make a big difference in the survival rate. 

For colon cancer? If polyps are found during that procedure and are removed and found benign? Chances of getting or dying from Colon Cancer are pretty slim. 

Your reply kinda reminds me of the very old: "you can get hit by a bus" reasoning I used to hear from many of my co-workers.

Hey! Thank you for adding your thoughts to this thread about preventive/hands on approach many here think is very important.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

One of my brothers and his wife, are two of the most stubborn people ever when it comes to going to the doctor.   For years, they were the ones saying "I'm healthy as a horse, and haven't seen the inside of a doctors office in 20 years".   Despite urgings from myself, and my other brother who worked for 20 years as an RN in ER and trauma care, and was a flight nurse, we could never get this brother and SIL to see the importance of wellness care.   

My SIL is tiny; maybe a size 4, and about 115 lbs. on a good day.   She learned the hard way that she has high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.  Based on the family history she gave her physician, he said she should've been on preventive meds 10 years ago.   

Five years ago my brother had a very serious farm accident.   He has also learned the hardest way possible that holding onto your health is such an important personal responsibility.  While recovering from his farm accident injuries, another serious issue was discovered, that continues to need constant attention.   Because he essentially had no established medical history, he has had to deal with these emergency situations, then get in his routine testing, and age appropriate testing that "he didn't think he needed".   My brother has had his eyes opened to medical care over the last 5 years, and realizes he is in a precarious health situation right now.   He knows he should've taken better care of himself when he was in his 30's and 40's, and not had the 10 ft tall and bulletproof attitude.   

I think the hardest thing for my brother to deal with, is seeing how worried we are, as he goes thru one problem after another---knowing he should have done more to take care of himself years ago.  Wellness care in comparison to the complex care he needs now.  

Esteemed Contributor

My dh and I are both healthy; however, we each receive a few prescription drugs. Our Dr. will not renew our prescriptions if we don't see him once a year at least.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Our health insurance insists we get a yearly physical. My dh and I just had ours last month. They pay for it and if we have good blood test results, don't smoke and aren't obese we get a heck of a discount on our insurance.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I confess; I haven't been to the doctor in many, many years! I'm lucky; I'm very healthy. I haven't had a simple phsical exam in well over a decade (I'm 54). No, I've never had a mammogram either. I've had my cholestoral measured; blood pressure measured, etc. and I'm in great health--according to everything that can be measured (I test my own blood sugar, etc.).

Crazy!

"Pure Michigan"