Respected Contributor

Is It Necessary To Get A Annual Physical

My Dr says yes and I have been doing a lot of reading on this subject lately and  its only recommended if you have diabetes, heart disease etc. If you are a healthy individual  with no issues  it is recommended every 2 years.And if you are youn with  no issues it is recommended every 5 years. Why don't all doctors know this? Wven inusrance companies agree with every 2 years.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is It Necessary To Get A Annual Physical

@cuddlesmama

I would go with what your doctor recommends...

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I think  starting after age 50,  you should go for your physical every year just to get a blood workup.. Things can be off like your sugar, anemia or blood pressure, and you would never know  buy how you feel in general. These can be corrected if caught early. Even if you feel totally healthy, little things can be going on as you age that may not be noticeable to the naked eye.  

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Oh, Dr Kildare, they don’t make interns like they used to in the 1960s

Dr Kildare.jpg

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Honored Contributor

@milkbone wrote:

Oh, Dr Kildare, they don’t make interns like they used to in the 1960s

Dr Kildare.jpg

Suzanne Pleshette? So pretty! (Both of them, actually)

Valued Contributor

@violann, I still swoon over the miniseries, "The Thorn Birds" with Richard Chamberlain!  Loved that miniseries.  Very bittersweet...

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

My Dr says yes and I have been doing a lot of reading on this subject lately and  its only recommended if you have diabetes, heart disease etc. If you are a healthy individual  with no issues  it is recommended every 2 years.And if you are youn with  no issues it is recommended every 5 years. Why don't all doctors know this? Wven inusrance companies agree with every 2 years.

I think it's more about your specifics than your age.  

I take a few medications and no doctor will ever prescribe beyond 12 months, which means I have to stop in and be seen for prescription renewal.    I think that a yearly blood workup will show any patterns and changes and give the MD a way to better monitor your health.  I don't have a problem with that.

Esteemed Contributor

There is no general 1 answer to your question. Me personally? I am, and have been, a strong hands on advocate of my own health and physical fitness.

There have long been certain test/procedures I had/have done on an annual basis. I see it as a personal choice after an understanding consultation with ones primary doctor. 

Genetics can many times help an individual, along with their doctor, make the decision that is best for themselves.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I see my GYN once a year for my female checkup; he orders my mammogram and bone density.   I see my primary care physician 4x a year; she orders my routine lab work and writes my mail ordered prescriptions for a 90 day supply.  I have to see her to get my scripts, no exceptions.   

Preventive medicine is the current trend.   Doctors would like to see their patients for routine wellness care on an established basis, prior to any type of emergency need.  I am 60 years old; I would not be doing myself any favors if I said I hadn't seen a doctor since my last child was born nearly 35 years ago.  Maintaining my health is my responsibility; I keep up with my vaccinations, and all age appropriate testing.   

To me, the term annual physical means my yearly exam with my GYN.   Since I see my primary care physician 4x a year, she monitors my diabetes, blood pressure, weight, etc. with every office visit.   She does not, and never has, given me an annual physical exam in the terms of what that means to me.  However, she does monitor my health closely, and my medical records show I am fully up to date on everything I need for my age.   

Even my daughters who are in their mid and late 30's, see their primary care physicians 4x a year, and their GYN yearly.   I view wellness care as an important tool; it catches those fasting blood sugars in the pre diabetic stage, as well as rising blood pressure and cholesterol.

Many people are going to interpret those recommended guidelines for annual physical, yearly, or every 2 years, as their excuse to avoid seeing their doctor, which is not the recommendation.  

Respected Contributor

Just ask yourself - do I feel lucky?  LOL  Like posted here, if you take any medication, you will go for an annual, so this is a mute point.  I'm always fighting them wanting to set me up for twice a year.  Most docs want you there more often, not less.