Honored Contributor

Has anyone had problems or bad side effects from Ferrous Sulfate.

Respected Contributor

I've been taking 325mg ferrous sulfate (65 mg elemental iron) for a couple of months.

Doctor's orders.

I've had none of the usual side effects that I'd had in the past with other iron supplements. The pharmacist told me that iron in this form is supposed to be easier on your stomach.

It's not the most highly absorbable form, but my iron numbers went up dramatically after one month of taking it.

Hope this helps.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

I took iron briefly after my knee replacement, but did not experience any problems. My husband takes an iron supplement every other day, and has for more than a year without any problems.

Honored Contributor

I had a terrible bout of iron deficiency years ago and was ordered to take ferrous sulfate pronto! It was a complete life saver for me! No side effects and I finally got my life back!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

My problem was and still is my iron ferritin levels. I took the prescription iron tabs but they never were enough for me. I still have to have Iron Infusions when my level drops below 30. This generally is about every 3-4 months but have been more frequent at times and other times have gone for 6 months before needing a ""fill 'er up"".

Still get a monthly B-12 shot and that was the answer for getting and keeping my Hemoglobin levels in the double digits.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I don't have anything so serious but my doctor has me take iron supplements with Vitamin C because it supposedly helps the iron absorb better. I buy the extended release I think they call it and I've had no problems but I do make sure I get lots of fiber too.

Honored Contributor
On 6/25/2014 Laura14 said:

I don't have anything so serious but my doctor has me take iron supplements with Vitamin C because it supposedly helps the iron absorb better. I buy the extended release I think they call it and I've had no problems but I do make sure I get lots of fiber too.

Might show this to your doctor. This is the definition of ""ferritin"" which I mentioned in my other post.

Ferritin: A protein containing 20% iron that is found in the intestines and liver and spleen; it is one of the chief forms in which iron is stored in the body

Has your doctor ever checked your ferritin levels?

A regular blood draw does not include this test and mine are always drawn specifically for ferritin and that has to be sent out as the hospital lab does not have the equipment to check this reading.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

My doctor suggested slow release iron pills and I have been taking them for a week with no issues so far.

Deb

Honored Contributor
On 6/25/2014 hckynut said:
On 6/25/2014 Laura14 said:

Might show this to your doctor. This is the definition of "ferritin" which I mentioned in my other post.

Ferritin: A protein containing 20% iron that is found in the intestines and liver and spleen; it is one of the chief forms in which iron is stored in the body

Has your doctor ever checked your ferritin levels?

A regular blood draw does not include this test and mine are always drawn specifically for ferritin and that has to be sent out as the hospital lab does not have the equipment to check this reading.

I have never heard of that. I will definitely speak up. She seemed puzzled one time by my blood tests and I know when I was kid a doctor told my mother that if I married someone with the same blood as mine, we could have a problem with our kids. Luckily, I never married or had a little one. I do have a sister that was checked for Mediterranean Anemia but was cleared. So far the only prescription I've ever had in my life has been Vitamin D. My iron and Vit C are just over the counter. I'll let her know though about this. Thank you!!

Super Contributor

I had to take it for really bad aenimia a few years ago. I didn't get too many side effects, some stomach pains but nothing bad enough that I felt like I should stop. However it didn't up my iron levels. I tried multiple types of OTC iron, I even ended up with rx iron and it still didn't help.

I've gotten the best results from floradix, its vegetarian food based iron.