Honored Contributor

Re: Invisalign Done Today.....Should I do Veneers Next?

@santorini wrote:

I personally would not use someone who had only done 10-20 sets.  I would prefer someone with lots of experience.

yea I wouldn't go to a Cath person who did 10 or 20 of them .

although people do need experience, but that's a different conversation 

Esteemed Contributor

There is a cosmetic dentist close to me, who is known for working dental magic on young ladies in the beauty queen business in Arkansas. That is who I used. My front tooth also had a very small chip and he just evened it out- only took a few seconds and looks so much better.

I would read reviews and make sure the dentist doesn't give you "chicklet teeth" if you get veneers. Its not a good look.

Respected Contributor

Went back today for my 6month cleaning check up....yesterday was just getting the attachments off and retainers.  Had a great check up no cavities! Yippie!

Also told him I had changed my mind about doing veneers....and found out the mold they did yesterday is what they do when you finish the invisalign program.  And he wasn't recommending I do it anyway....it was all my idea.  He was GLAD I had changed my mind....said he wanted me to really wait on it and be totally sure.

I am just gonna let things alone for now and thanks again to all who posted here helping me make a decision and get good information about such a big decision.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite wrote:

@Nonametoday  Wow thank you so much for taking the time to post your experience with this.  Now I am confused as to why he did these molds today then? He said they get sent out to the lab??  I do wear my retainer 22hrs per day/night so no shifting of my teeth should happen.  

With everything you posted here I am thinking I may not do this after all.  Perhaps it's just not for me and I don't feel confident in my dentist doing it now either.  I would at the very least have to go to several places that do this kinda of thing alot....like many many people not 12 or 14 people.  

Forgot to mention: I asked him right out about pain and he said they freeze the area...I assumed that's numbing.  You did yours without any numbing....I have to look more into that.

I did not have any injections.  On one tooth that was sensitive, a canine on my right, he took a long q-tip with some numbing medication and sort of held it there until it was numb.  That is the only one I had any issue with and it really was tolerable, but he wanted it to be comfortable.  

I think you and your dentist made a sound decision.  I sort of wish I had never had them done.  I have osteoporosis and subsequently (and I did not want to tell you this becaue not everyone has osteo as bad as I) my crowns are coming off because my gums are hardening due to the treatment for osteo.  I also have trigeminal neuralgia which may/may not be due to the crowns and the necessity of putting a root canal into that area through a crown and then having it redone and then needing an apicoectomy and an implant.  Crowns do not guarantee you will never need a filling.  What remains can get cavities and oftentimes you will require a new crown if they are unable to go through your crown to fix it and sometimes you may even require a root canal through the crowns.  I have over $100,000 in my mouth, maybe $200,000 if I really counted it all up and now I am losing my crowns and my teeth as well as losing my implants because the bone grafts are not holding them any longer.  So, I cannot tell others what to do, because I am told my experience is in about the 1%.

Respected Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@meem120 wrote:

Please consult with a cosmetic dentist.  I had 8 of my uppers done with veneers.  They looked lovely.  The problem was they kept popping off, like a fingernail.  I was at the dentist every week.  Finally, he told me some people they just dont work for. So please consult with someone that has done more than 10 !!  And dont let them tell you it doesnt happen....it does.

Now this is the stuff NIGHTMARES are made of!  How awful!!  What did you end up doing? going to another dentist?? bonding?? 

Yes, it was....my dentist was pretty nice about it tho.  But, because the tooth is damaged with veneers, I wound up getting 8 crowns.  He accepted what my insurance paid so I had no further bills, but the veneers were expensive.  They werent covered by my insurance.  So he still got paid a goodly amount.  

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@Nonametoday  Wow thank you so much for taking the time to post your experience with this.  Now I am confused as to why he did these molds today then? He said they get sent out to the lab??  I do wear my retainer 22hrs per day/night so no shifting of my teeth should happen.  

With everything you posted here I am thinking I may not do this after all.  Perhaps it's just not for me and I don't feel confident in my dentist doing it now either.  I would at the very least have to go to several places that do this kinda of thing alot....like many many people not 12 or 14 people.  

Forgot to mention: I asked him right out about pain and he said they freeze the area...I assumed that's numbing.  You did yours without any numbing....I have to look more into that.

I did not have any injections.  On one tooth that was sensitive, a canine on my right, he took a long q-tip with some numbing medication and sort of held it there until it was numb.  That is the only one I had any issue with and it really was tolerable, but he wanted it to be comfortable.  

I think you and your dentist made a sound decision.  I sort of wish I had never had them done.  I have osteoporosis and subsequently (and I did not want to tell you this becaue not everyone has osteo as bad as I) my crowns are coming off because my gums are hardening due to the treatment for osteo.  I also have trigeminal neuralgia which may/may not be due to the crowns and the necessity of putting a root canal into that area through a crown and then having it redone and then needing an apicoectomy and an implant.  Crowns do not guarantee you will never need a filling.  What remains can get cavities and oftentimes you will require a new crown if they are unable to go through your crown to fix it and sometimes you may even require a root canal through the crowns.  I have over $100,000 in my mouth, maybe $200,000 if I really counted it all up and now I am losing my crowns and my teeth as well as losing my implants because the bone grafts are not holding them any longer.  So, I cannot tell others what to do, because I am told my experience is in about the 1%.

Wow I did think of Osteoporosis....I mentioned it to him as I am 54 now but who knows if I will develop this in the yrs to come.  He also told me that receding gum line and many other things can affect them.  Thus the need again to "replace/repair" can and will happen.  Just knowing they would need to be replaced in say 15yrs made me change my mind.  I know I won't have the cash on hand to do that then...unless I win the lottery LOL!  I appreciate you sharing your perspective and personal experience.

Respected Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@meem120 wrote:

Please consult with a cosmetic dentist.  I had 8 of my uppers done with veneers.  They looked lovely.  The problem was they kept popping off, like a fingernail.  I was at the dentist every week.  Finally, he told me some people they just dont work for. So please consult with someone that has done more than 10 !!  And dont let them tell you it doesnt happen....it does.

Now this is the stuff NIGHTMARES are made of!  How awful!!  What did you end up doing? going to another dentist?? bonding?? 

Yes, it was....my dentist was pretty nice about it tho.  But, because the tooth is damaged with veneers, I wound up getting 8 crowns.  He accepted what my insurance paid so I had no further bills, but the veneers were expensive.  They werent covered by my insurance.  So he still got paid a goodly amount.

@meem120  Thanks for sharing this....I am glad it worked out but wow just not in the way it was supposed to!  I don't think veneers are for me....all the posts here and information truly helped me understand what is really involved.
Respected Contributor

Dear tsavorite, congress on finishing of your ortho treatment! Now you need to wear your retainers at night religiously.

As for your uneven front teeth they can be improved and reinforced with crowns and given the fact that you are a grinder ( that disqualifies you from veneers ) gives you an opportunity to have your crowns made with fabulous new specially for grinders designed material ZIRCONIUM. It is super strong, uses no metal underneath, gums love this material. Just find a good dentist please.

And one more important thing. You mentioned that your tooth was traumatized and since  it changed it’s color it is the indication of the death or the nerve.

So, before you do any crowns, please, have a root canal done on that tooth because the chance is that it will blow up on you in the future.

Good luck!