Respected Contributor

Re: Investing in myself update

@Just Bling wrote:

@tsavorite  This is my 3rd trainer..the 1st one was the boss of the training department of the gym, you would think that he would be good, wrong.  The guy "talked the talk" and knew nothing, took me at least a month to catch on.  The 2nd trainer I had was known to "be good", he had his education in fitness and let's say he was better than the 1st.

The trainer I have, I had my doubts but he is wonderful, he listens to me, takes an interest in what I do and how I do it.  Knows that he can get that extra out of me and has "come back" physically from a military incident which left him physically impared.  

So, what I'm telling you it's trial and error.  Find a gym, take their free session(s) with someone and see how your personalities mesh.  

@Just Bling thank you! I figured as much LOL!  Isn't it almost always like this...from the hair salon to the dentist...trial and error...shop around!  

I had this same kind of experience with PT....first place the lady was awful...late and basically didn't listen to anything I was telling her! My neck got worse.  I quit and figured all PT was bad like that.  The next place I researched online and went there...seemed decent at the beginning but then almost the same kind of thing happened again.  Instead of getting better (hip PT) got worse overall.  Finished program...didn't continue with them.  Finally my interenist gave me a script for more PT...went to a local place connected with same hospital....these ladies were awesome!  Really listened and worked out a plan to help me with my neck, upper back, hip and so on.  

Hopefully some of the local places here will have someone that can or is knowledgeable about the types of physical issues I have and my goals to build strength/bone mass in a way that I can actually do and make gains.  

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@Laura14

I checked this morning and there isn't a name on that piece of equipment, I asked my trainer and he said it's called a weighted pully system.

I asked him specifically what exercises were concentrated on getting my arm wave gone, he said there isn't any one exercise that takes care of that, it all goes, just some goes faster than others.

Keep you the good work, I go 3X a week and on my non trainer session days he would like me to come in a do cardio.

@Just Bling@Laura14

The "arm wave" thing is targeted with pushing exercises.  Pushing movements contract the tricep muscles at the back of the upper arm, the ones that are slack when someone has the "arm wave".

Cable pushdowns, tricep kickbacks, overhead dumbell tricep extensions (with dumbell, kettlebell, cable), and one of the BEST, push ups!  And the bonus with push ups is recruitment of several other muscles, the most important being the muscles of the core (those muscles that surround and stabilize the spine).  It's definitely a "more bang for your buck" exercise.  When executed properoy, of course.  And push ups have lots of progressions, so if you can't do a proper "military style" push up, there are lots of ways to build up to them.

CoachKitty

Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot  I'll do it!  I am going on a 30 day Coach Kitty tricep pushups routine sanctioned by @Just Bling's trainer.  

I just did a triceps routine in Power this morning but I'm doing it 7 days a week now and we'll see if Coach Kitty knows her stuff.  If not, I expect a large amount QVC gift card to ease my pain.  Smiley WinkSmiley Very Happy 

Respected Contributor

@Laura14   Not 7 days in a row, your body needs to rest and don't forget once your body gets "used to" the routine, everything you worked for is gone.    You need to trick your body, sometimes really easy stuff and then some hard stuff that you can barely accomplish.

We do bursts almost every session too.  I'm on the bike with 4, then he changes the resistance to 12 for 30 seconds then 2 minutes back to 4, then 16 for 30 seconds, then 4 for 2 minutes and so forth until I want to drop and I can't breathe but it's getting better and better everytime we do this.

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot  I think you should START a COACH KITTY thread, there will be a lot of people who can benefit.

Something daily or even weekly would be appreciated like the tricep paragraph....would be nice to have something to back on and read your tips.

yes?????

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling  So you are doing I think what they call HIIT training.  I haven't tried that. I am a much methodical worker outer but you have inspired me to try it.  

I think I get the jist now.  You are working to failure which would require a rest day in between.  I will try it and see what happens.

Personally I think our bodies should listen the first time we tell it to do something.  This switch it up stuff to please all different moods was never tolerated when I was a kid.  Smiley Tongue 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot  I'll do it!  I am going on a 30 day Coach Kitty tricep pushups routine sanctioned by @Just Bling's trainer.  

I just did a triceps routine in Power this morning but I'm doing it 7 days a week now and we'll see if Coach Kitty knows her stuff.  If not, I expect a large amount QVC gift card to ease my pain.  Smiley WinkSmiley Very Happy 

@Laura14

No, NOT 7 days a week!

Muscles, when worked hard and efficiently, need 48-72 hours to recover before you hit them again.  

The key is working them (with good form!!) to muscle exhaustion.  2-3x per week.

CoachKitty does not endorse weight training the same muscles 7 days a week.

Now, if you were some kind of advanced endurance athlete, we'd talk about training days for that.  But we're talking building strength here.

CoachKitty

Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

Coach Kitty's new avatar  @QueenDanceALot  @Just Bling  Smiley LOL

JNgym.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Coach Kitty's new avatar  @QueenDanceALot  @Just Bling  Smiley LOL

JNgym.jpg

@Laura14

I think this is going to be on my new business card!

CoachKitty

Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@Laura14   Not 7 days in a row, your body needs to rest and don't forget once your body gets "used to" the routine, everything you worked for is gone.    You need to trick your body, sometimes really easy stuff and then some hard stuff that you can barely accomplish.

We do bursts almost every session too.  I'm on the bike with 4, then he changes the resistance to 12 for 30 seconds then 2 minutes back to 4, then 16 for 30 seconds, then 4 for 2 minutes and so forth until I want to drop and I can't breathe but it's getting better and better everytime we do this.

@Just Bling@Laura14

Yes, we need to switch up our routines, BUT it is not true that once your body "gets used to" a routine that "everything you worked for is gone".  COACH KITTY REJECTS THIS NOTION!!

Progressing training builds on what you do, and all those previous workouts have conditioned you to take on new challenges.  Nothing is gone!

It's really not "tricking" your body when you change up routines.  You will easy days and harder days that work different muscle fibers.  It's not a trick, it's physiology!

CoachKitty

Cat Happy