Honored Contributor

Re: Intermittent Fasting

[ Edited ]

@annie57 wrote:

I was talking to my Dr. about trying to lose ten pounds and how I can't take the pounds off. He suggested intermittent fasting so I have been trying it. I am twelve days in and I have not lost a pound. He said it could take anywhere up to a month to see any results until your body gets use to it. 
Has anyone tried this and have you had any luck. According to my Dr. it works and is really good for your overall health.

@annie57 I had luck a year ago when I lost 25lbs by intermittent fasting & eating low carb.  I didn't do a strict keto diet but just cut the simple carbs out & it made a huge difference!

ETA: I didn't watch calories at all.  It's something that I used to do which only left me very frustrated.  If you have a sugar addicition going low carb will ease the cravings after several days.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@annie57 wrote:

I was talking to my Dr. about trying to lose ten pounds and how I can't take the pounds off. He suggested intermittent fasting so I have been trying it. I am twelve days in and I have not lost a pound. He said it could take anywhere up to a month to see any results until your body gets use to it. 
Has anyone tried this and have you had any luck. According to my Dr. it works and is really good for your overall health.

Will agree with your doctor and I usually don't agree with them, but during the pandemic I decided to read into it ,listen also to podcasts .I am a senior and never ever have been able to lose weight so easy and keep it off, I did the 16-8  the hardest thing was drinking black coffee,  and then heard about adding MCT powder to my morning cofee,that took away the craving for hours I know some say that is not "Clean Fasting"might agree but it worked for me and read others were using it also .There were days that I went from 16 hours to 20 hours without feeling hungry,no cravings at all for things like ice cream and I was an ice cream junkie. When my eating window opened I made myself a smoothie or took  a low sugar low carb bar, but with 20G of protein  filled me up, did drink plenty of  water but found a brand of water enhancer  with electrolyte and vitamins in it to keep me hydrated. Dinner was a normal dinner before closing my window of eating.

A great podcast to this day I listen too is "Intermittent  Fasting Stories" with Gin Stephen,she lost 80 pounds also wrote great  books and  easy to read and understand .I know she wouldn't agree with my MCT powder for my morning coffee.

I lost 40 pounds and never been happier,if I could do it you can also. 

Please don't give up if you are following and not seeing the scale move it will, but your clothes might become looser  before the scale moves.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@annie57 

*Up your exercise (resistence and cardio)

*Up your vegetable intake (can just about eat all the vegetables you want, no need to count calories).

*Up your protein intake (roughly 1 gram per 1 lb ideal body wt./ day)

*Stop eating after dinner, you sleep better on an empty stomach anyway

*Limit simple carbs and high glycemic foods

*Try to limit glucose spikes, by reducing these you no longer have to eat as often because it's the rollercoaster glucose that causes hunger/hangriness.

*whether you intermittent fast or not just by doing these things you will not only be healtier, you'll also be at a better body weight/composition.

It's all calories in calories out and the types of calories do count as far as how healthy you'll be.  No dieting or special diets required.

Good Luck!!!!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Honored Contributor

IF has worked for me for probably three years now.  The weight loss was fairly slow but maintenance has been effortless, which was never the case for me before.  I do not count calories.  Most days I eat twice in five hours.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Besides getting on board with eating a ketogenic diet a little over four years ago, Intermittent Fasting has been part of my lifestyle for awhile now (probaby 2-3 yrs.). I don't do any long term extended fasts.  I began fasting 12 hrs, and bumped it up every so often. Now I fast daily for about 22 hrs,, but lots of days I do OMAD.  I lost 150 lbs, and have been maintaining since Jan, 2022.

It is really good for you.

Honored Contributor

I have been Intermittent Fasting for a year now and have lost 34 pounds. I find it so very easy. I dont eat from 8 PM until 1PM the next day. This is easy as pie for me, dont even think about food until it is my time to eat. I also exercise daily and keep my 2 meals a day to moderation as far as fats and carbs. And I dont snack or eat in between lunch and dinner. 

Super Contributor

@annie57 - I've been doing intermittent fasting for almost a year. I lost about 25 lbs.  My cardiologist said she's been doing it, also.  I have a friend who lost nothing. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Honored Contributor
I have never been more physically sick or depressed as when I tried to keto. Personally, also not a fan of fasting except in the sense I do best not eating after “dinner”.

I lost 100 pounds 15 years ago eating whole, not processed. I did not limit carbs except to stay away from bread/flour.

Fast forward to the current day, and the same approach works now. Anything below around 100 carbs and I get seriously depressed. I eat fair amount of fish. I limit meat. I still eat dairy and favor full fat. Lots of vegetables. A bit of fruit.

As long as I stay away from ice cream and Doritos, I’m good. After nursing trashed my health, I gained weight from stress and poor eating habits. I went back to the above way of eating and lost 65 pounds. I’ve bounced a little bit lately, but I haven’t been trying very hard.

One thing that concerns me about perpetual ultra low carb is I’ve seen so many instances of women in particular who have had to go increasingly strict and limited on their food selection over time, not unlike prolonged calorie restriction.

I’m not convinced fasting on OMAD is all that different from what we called starvation diets as teenagers. I certainly could not eat enough calories on one meal a day without a lot of fat which just makes me ill.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Wouldn't ever consider eating within a small window of time , like 11am to 3pm. I typically stop eating at 6pm and eat again at 8am which is a fourteen hour span. To me, that's just normal life and not fasting.

@AuntG   11-3 😧 I would starve to death!!☠️

So we are about in the same range as you are except we usually have our last meal around 4pm or so.

I think the words "fast/fasting" can be deceptive.

Some  IF plans have stricter schedules but overall folks like you and me are eating somewhat of a "plan" anyway.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Regular Contributor

Thank you everyone for responding to my post! So much good information!  It hasn't been two weeks yet and my Dr. did say it can take a month to see any results.

I am following the 8/16. I stop eating anything at 8 pm until 12:00 noon. I walk a few miles three days a week and I do strength training one day a week for about an hour. I watch my two grandchildren, 2and 6 four days a week so I am active. I will be 66 this week. 
I am going to keep with the plan and see what happens. It has gotten easier the last few days. Like someone said, black coffee in the morning is difficult, but this morning it was more tolerable.

Again, thank you for all your insights!