Esteemed Contributor

Re: Interesting Into about leading "candidates" for Covid Vaccine

@tansy wrote:

This whole thing just stinks.  I did not realize that a vaccine trial normally takes ten years😏

@tansy

There should be  information about the development and trial population of this vaccine on the web. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D : I remember well the Thalidomide mess (I can still picture in my mind's eye the Life magazine cover about this). How sad that the FDA has fallen so far.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The most upsetting aspect of the vaccine testing for me is that there are no clinically obese or morbidly obese subjects in the current trials. Most are also not testing on those with underlying health conditions. One thing I thought was interesting was that one of the vaccine trials prevented persons with psoriasis from participating.  I was reading the information at Clinicaltrials.gov last night. Most of the vaccines going into Phase 3 trials are not including those with underlying medical conditions. This means we will have no clue as to the efficacy of the vaccines in these populations. I am glad to report that most of the vaccines were including 60+ or 65+ groups, usually in separate testing groups. At least we will know what the efficacy is in older people. 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

The MMR vaccine is also cold storage so they should already have that in place.  Not that anyone will be putting any vaccine that hasn't gone through at least the standard 10 year FDA process in my body, ever.  

@Laura14 

Your body your choice. Mines pretty old but I'm hoping there are many good years left in it. I don't plan on spending any of those years worrying about everything vaccine that comes down the pike. I remember when people feared the polio vaccine, the flu vaccine, just to name a couple most or many have now gotten.

"Viva le'diffarance",  or something like that!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D Amazing isn't it?  I was fascinated by the process when I went through pharmacy school.  

And by the way, most medications and vaccine trials are tested on and approved based on men between 25 and 45 for ethical purposes.  If that's not you, you're a guinea pig for almost any new medicine that comes along.  Be aware.  

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@tansy wrote:

This whole thing just stinks.  I did not realize that a vaccine trial normally takes ten years😏

@tansy

There should be  information about the development and trial population of this vaccine on the web. 

@tansy @There is. 

Honored Contributor

@hckynut I am not as cavalier but I appreciate the spirit.  

Trust me, I have made my medical professionals speechless more than once by refusing what to me were unnecessary followups.  If I die or don't catch something in time, my choice.  I don't have the wallet for the heathcare wishes of the local professionals around me nor do I plan to spend any of my life wondering about what ifs.  

You get one screening and then I need a really good reason to do anything more especially if my hard earned cash is paying for it.

Valued Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@Mindy D : I remember well the Thalidomide mess (I can still picture in my mind's eye the Life magazine cover about this). How sad that the FDA has fallen so far.

Although it's true the FDA is not infallible, we have Frances Kelsey to thank for the fact that thalidomide was never approved for market. It was, however, used in clinical trials so there were physicians that had access to it.  As soon as the FDA refused market approval, it was pulled, which is why there were very few "thalidomide" babies born in the US. And yes, even one is too many. 

I learned about her in nursing classes back in the 70s. She was the lone holdout, but that's all it took. 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Mindy D Amazing isn't it?  I was fascinated by the process when I went through pharmacy school.  

And by the way, most medications and vaccine trials are tested on and approved based on men between 25 and 45 for ethical purposes.  If that's not you, you're a guinea pig for almost any new medicine that comes along.  Be aware.  

@Laura14 @I know this. Practically the only time the trials have targeted women is for estrogens and conditions that affect only women. This has changed in recent years but there are still plenty of drugs out there that were never tested on women.

Respected Contributor

One of my closest friends was accepted into the phase three trials for Pfizer. She is 62, with no underlying conditions.

Funny thing is, she won't get a flu shot, but was more than willing to be included in this double blind study.  She gets her injection on September 14. Her main reason for participating was that she wants to travel and go on her next cruise. 

I am proud of her. A trailblazer and IMHO, an American Hero!  

Because of her participation, no matter which group she is in, she will get the vaccine, if it is approved.