Esteemed Contributor

Re: Insurance Won't Pay for Preventive Colonoscopy!

@Lipstickdiva  Something doesn’t sound right.I would challenge that decision. The ACA made it so all insurance plans had to cover preventative testing at 100%. I’ve learned from previous experience that when you go up the ladder & challenge these things you have a good chance of prevailing.It sounds to me like the insurance company is getting away with it because they’ve gone unchallenged.

Honored Contributor

@Sunnycorle wrote:

Mine does.  What insurance do you have?

@SunnycorleI have Medical Mutual Super-Med PPO.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  I'm surprised the guy who went through all the prep wasn't first notified by his doctor's office that the procedure was not covered.  Glad you didn't first go through the prep!!!!

Respected Contributor

Blue cross paid all but anesthesia on my colonscope and I had 2 precancerous polyps removed during the procedure.  I was told that I would need to return in 5 years at age 60 for another instead of the usual 10 yr period., something to look forward to.HA

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Sunnycorle wrote:

Mine does.  What insurance do you have?

@SunnycorleI have Medical Mutual Super-Med PPO.

I would call back, it can't be right.

Respected Contributor

Insurance paid for my colonoscopy but I had to pay for as day in the hospital. I was only there a couple of hours & then allowed to leave. Seems they get you one way or another. I find all these tests a way to make money for the doctors & hospital.

Honored Contributor

I have seen plans like that, most insurers today do cover screening colonoscopies now because identifying colon cancer early is more cost effective for them but don't cover screenings.  When in doubt, people should check with their insurance companies.  

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Lipstickdiva   That's awful.  It's bad enough to have to do it, but to pay for it as well?  Seems like a lot of people won't get screened and may actually get the disease, which will cost the insurance company much more!

I think the procedure runs into the thousands of dollars, doesn't it?

@2blonde, this is exactly what I said.  It makes no sense that they don't want to pay for a preventive screening but may end up paying for treatments.

It will be in excess of $1,700.00 with the physician fee, facility fee, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Lipstickdiva  Something doesn’t sound right.I would challenge that decision. The ACA made it so all insurance plans had to cover preventative testing at 100%. I’ve learned from previous experience that when you go up the ladder & challenge these things you have a good chance of prevailing.It sounds to me like the insurance company is getting away with it because they’ve gone unchallenged.

You missed the part where she said, it clearly states in her policy that screening or preventative colonoscopies are not covered.  Also later on she said that her doctor's office knew that it was covered but her insurer but apparently they call her to tell her that.  

Honored Contributor

I'm really surprised.

Will the doctor's office give you a break on the price because you're a self-pay? 

Is the Cologuard an option for you?