Valued Contributor

Since I started using my Solostar pen...the numbers have been high! Used a different blood sugar monitor...high numbers as well, 200 at least!!! Do you think its the insulin?? My diet hasn't changed...I almost think I would be better off not checking..its not worth the worry! Woman Sad 

Since the pen has one more dose...I'll see what it says...hoping the new pen will be accurate!

Frequent Contributor

The monitor might be the problem, might need to be calibrated.

This is a serious problem and needs to be discussed with your doctor.

Good luck.  

Honored Contributor

@emmygrace , the insulin you are using is basal insulin which will not control your blood sugars if your diabetes worsens. You probably need, in addition, mealtime insulin. Basal insulin controls blood sugar between meals. It doesn't necessarily work to control blood sugars after meals.

If you are eating a low carbohydrate diet and still seeing highs on your glucometer, speak to your physician. I have been a Type 1 for half a century and the majority of Type 2 diabetics with exercise and carbohydrate restriction can throw away All insulin and recover...

Valued Contributor

Re: Insulin pen

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

@emmygrace , the insulin you are using is basal insulin which will not control your blood sugars if your diabetes worsens. You probably need, in addition, mealtime insulin. Basal insulin controls blood sugar between meals. It doesn't necessarily work to control blood sugars after meals.

If you are eating a low carbohydrate diet and still seeing highs on your glucometer, speak to your physician. I have been a Type 1 for half a century and the majority of Type 2 diabetics with exercise and carbohydrate restriction can throw away All insulin and recover...

Valued Contributor

Re: Insulin pen

[ Edited ]

@emmygrace wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

I use a (24 hr., long acting), Lantus gargline...been using it for 10 years..thats why I only take it before bed..

Valued Contributor

@Mi47 wrote:

The monitor might be the problem, might need to be calibrated.

This is a serious problem and needs to be discussed with your doctor.

Good luck.  

I tried 2 different monitors...thinking about buying another one..Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@emmygrace wrote:

@emmygrace wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

I use a (24 hr., long acting), Lantus gargline...been using it for 10 years..thats why I only take it before bed..

Yes it is basal insulin but often times as the patient ages and their pancreatic function lessens they need to add additional mealtime insulin. Are you seeing an endocrinologist @emmygrace who can explain all of this to you? Have you been followed for these ten years with a Cpeptide test to determine if you are losing pancreatic function?

Honored Contributor

Gary Sheiner has an excellent book "Think like a Pancreas" 2nd edition that will explain and elaborate on what you are dealing with @emmygrace . Also stress can cause temporary changes in your blood sugar. When I was on steroids for iritis I needed twice as much insulin as usual. It can be daunting sometimes because not only diet and exercise affects results.

Honored Contributor

I take Novolin and Toujeo and use the Freestyle Libre CGM. My last A1C was 5.4. OP, I think you need to be a bit more aggressive controlling your disease. 

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@emmygrace wrote:

@emmygrace wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Yes it is basal insulin but often times as the patient ages and their pancreatic function lessens they need to add additional mealtime insulin. Are you seeing an endocrinologist @emmygrace who can explain all of this to you? Have you been followed for these ten years with a Cpeptide test to determine if you are losing pancreatic function?

Never heard of the Cpeptide test!!