Respected Contributor

I posted my frustration about dieting and feeling like the weight loss was super slow.  Not that we all don't think we lose fast enough.

So I brought this up with my doctor today.  I have been using Levemir insulin and Metformin for type 2 diabetes.

He said absolutely that insulin really slows weight loss, as it is anabolic.  He said the only medication that assists with weight loss is metformin.  However, I am having some success.  He feels I should decrease the Levemir by about 15 units per day.  I was shocked to hear my A1C is 5.3 (which is non diabetic).  He said perhaps I could eventually stop the insulin.  That is IF I can continue as I am.  I have been feeling more tired and just not that well lately.  He thinks my blood sugar may be going too low and my pulse rate is lower (52).  May require BP med adjustment too.

It helped somewhat to know that even if it is taking longer to lose weight, I am doing well in other ways.  For whatever reason, I have a great lipid profile (I do use AL maxiumum Omega-3 twice daily), my BP is down to 110/70, and A1C is 5.3.

I don't weigh myself because it gets into my head too much.  I posted this to encourage anyone who may be having the same weight loss frustration.

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for posting. I was just diagnosed with type II Diabetes and prescribed Metformin, but have not started it yet. I have weight to lose as well. I really appreciate your comments as this is unfamiliar territory for me.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Insulin and weight loss

[ Edited ]

DH was diagnosed with type 2 about two weeks ago but advised to exercise, watch diet and no meds.

He has some weight to lose but not a large amount.

This is very unfamiliar territory too.

Trusted Contributor

@hyacinth003 wishing you all the best health ever!  Keep up the great work, DIabetes is such a dreadful disease.  Sometimes feels like you just can't win, keeping your sugar lower at the expense of slowing weight loss.  

Sounds like you're doing evertything right and your doctor is pleased with your test results!  Think good thoughts and keep going!  Don't get discouraged, you can do it!

Respected Contributor

@RealtyGal2 wrote:

Thank you for posting. I was just diagnosed with type II Diabetes and prescribed Metformin, but have not started it yet. I have weight to lose as well. I really appreciate your comments as this is unfamiliar territory for me.Smiley Happy

I have been on metformin for several years.  I take the extended release version as I have irritable bowel syndrome and was concerned about the GI side effects.  I am never sure when I have symptoms if it is the metformin or the IBS. 

So IF you have any issues with your stomach or bowels, try the extended release if it wasn't already ordered for you.  They do make a generic version for cost savings.  Don't give up on it if you initially have GI side effects.  Sometimes your body gets used to it.  It is a gold standard for diabetes treatment.

Losing weight WILL help diabetes.  And don't wait to start the medication.  It is nothing to be afraid of.  Keep writing here as there are knowledgeable people who can help.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

DH was diagnosed with type 2 about two weeks ago but advised to exercise, watch diet and no meds.

He has some weight to lose but not a large amount.

This is very unfamiliar territory too.

Then he also needs to be testing at home to see how he is doing.  Since A1C can only really be done every 3 months, testing will show progress or lack of it.  Sometimes the weight loss (if he needs it) will actually keep blood sugar in line.  He (or you) should read up on managing diet.

Since I am an RN, I have seen all the potential complications.  It should scare the heck out of me and everyone else!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

I'm a type 1, been one for 40 years. Yes, insulin slows the progression of weight loss or actually stops weight loss. I actually thought all diabetics were aware of this. The only recourse to be successful with weight loss is eat sensibly and exercise like there's no tomorrow. Walla!

"Pure Michigan"