Honored Contributor

Hi @Kitty Galore

My suggestion would be what you said in your very last sentence. Since my Sports Med Podiatrist retired, my 2 Orthopod friendsk hooked me up with a Sports Med Certified Foot and Ankle Ortho Doctor. I told my problem in the other thread about "feet" in this forum.

So, be it a Podiatrist or and Ortho Doctor, that is what I would do.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I'd been wearing some cheap 2-strap Ryka slides around the house and got a bad pain going from the base of my big toe to my ankle.  I had a routine doctors appt. and mentioned it to her.  She wanted me to have it x-rayed but I didnt want to be bothered.  It's very slowly getting better.  Threw the slides in the trash.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kitty Galore  Please take my advise seriously. 14 years ago I injured the top of my left foot.  Its called a mid-foot injury or the Lisfranc joint area and can be very serious. It didn't feel that bad at first, I waited and self treated for months.  When I  finally went to my PCP, he sent me for an x ray and then the poopy radiologist missed an obvious midfoot problem (in addition to broken small bone) and found nothing!  I believed them of course..... forget the rest of my history about this foot, whats done is done. I don"t want to upset you needlessly. 

I urge you to please go this week to a board certified foot and ankle orthopedic doctor.  Get a referral from your PCP if you have to. Do NOT go to a neighborhood podiatrist who treats callouses and toenails daily,  I hope they find nothing serious going on with your foot, but please seek treatment asap.  And please let me know how you are doing!

Esteemed Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

@Kitty Galore  Please take my advise seriously. 14 years ago I injured the top of my left foot.  Its called a mid-foot injury or the Lisfranc joint area and can be very serious. It didn't feel that bad at first, I waited and self treated for months.  When I  finally went to my PCP, he sent me for an x ray and then the poopy radiologist missed an obvious midfoot problem (in addition to broken small bone) and found nothing!  I believed them of course..... forget the rest of my history about this foot, whats done is done. I don"t want to upset you needlessly. 

I urge you to please go this week to a board certified foot and ankle orthopedic doctor.  Get a referral from your PCP if you have to. Do NOT go to a neighborhood podiatrist who treats callouses and toenails daily,  I hope they find nothing serious going on with your foot, but please seek treatment asap.  And please let me know how you are doing!

@Harvard99  I thank you for your advice and reply.  I do beileve I have to see an orthopedic it's been too long now and it shouldn't keep on getting re injured if it were minor I would think.   I do have to get a referral from my primary first as I have to.  I need to get this done as I'm tired if babying my foot and I certainly don't want a lasting problem .  I'm sorry to hear of your problem I know what it's like when someone misses something medically.    I will let you know what happens .   And thanks again 😀😀

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'd been wearing some cheap 2-strap Ryka slides around the house and got a bad pain going from the base of my big toe to my ankle.  I had a routine doctors appt. and mentioned it to her.  She wanted me to have it x-rayed but I didnt want to be bothered.  It's very slowly getting better.  Threw the slides in the trash.

@Kachina624  I do believe my flip flops were the  reason for my injury so I can understand  about your slides.  I just love my flip flops even though I know they arent the best for my feet .  Foot problems do take a while to get better and it can be frustrating as I'm finding out.  Good luck with your foot 😺

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

I do believe my flip flops were the  reason for my injury so I can understand  about your slides.  I just love my flip flops even though I know they arent the best for my feet .  Foot problems do take a while to get better and it can be frustrating as I'm finding out.  Good luck with your foot.

@Kitty Galore

Just want to make this more clear for anyone here that cares to read it. Joint/ligament/tendon/muscle/nerve, and spinal issues, many times the source is traced to the feet. 

What one chooses to wear or not wear on their feet can and does cause some serious problems to any or all of the above mentioned body parts. Some just annoying, but many that can be debilitating, and for long periods of times, maybe weeks/months/years or ???

Think imbalance of the feet cannot cause major hip issues? Wrong. Think the same cannot cause major knee issues? Wrong. Think the same cannot cause serious spinal issues? Wrong again, and to anyone that thinks this way?

There are many things that contribute to spinal problems(more specifically the lumbar area). How one sits/stands/sleeps/bends/lifts, and on and on. Why anyone would want to willingly contribute to the abuse of their spine? It escapes me.

I have never had a "broken back", but I did spend close to a month in the hospital, undergoing Physical Therapy/In Traction/on high powered Valium/Demerol shots every 4 hours, and finally, open back surgery to remove my completely ruptured L-5/S-1 Spinal Discs. Have also since had my ruptured L-3 disc surgically removed.

Do, or would I willingly wear, or do anything with my feet that would put more load on a spine that is already overloaded? Not a chance, however many consciously to do so.

What I do, and will continue to do on daily basis is this:

Work to make sure my major spinal muscles/hamstring/calf tendons, ligaments, and muscles are as flexible as possible for my old body.

Included are resistance exercises for the front/side/lower and upper abdominal muscles to keep them as strong as they can be, again for my old body.

Some of those with spinal issues are too severe to follow what I do to protect my spine, however, more with back issues choose to do nothing to protect their back, and instead willingly do things to do just the opposite. Those that do usually "pay the piper".

"That's All Folks". It's your bodies, your choices!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Kitty Galore wrote:

I do believe my flip flops were the  reason for my injury so I can understand  about your slides.  I just love my flip flops even though I know they arent the best for my feet .  Foot problems do take a while to get better and it can be frustrating as I'm finding out.  Good luck with your foot.

@Kitty Galore

Just want to make this more clear for anyone here that cares to read it. Joint/ligament/tendon/muscle/nerve, and spinal issues, many times the source is traced to the feet. 

What one chooses to wear or not wear on their feet can and does cause some serious problems to any or all of the above mentioned body parts. Some just annoying, but many that can be debilitating, and for long periods of times, maybe weeks/months/years or ???

Think imbalance of the feet cannot cause major hip issues? Wrong. Think the same cannot cause major knee issues? Wrong. Think the same cannot cause serious spinal issues? Wrong again, and to anyone that thinks this way?

There are many things that contribute to spinal problems(more specifically the lumbar area). How one sits/stands/sleeps/bends/lifts, and on and on. Why anyone would want to willingly contribute to the abuse of their spine? It escapes me.

I have never had a "broken back", but I did spend close to a month in the hospital, undergoing Physical Therapy/In Traction/on high powered Valium/Demerol shots every 4 hours, and finally, open back surgery to remove my completely ruptured L-5/S-1 Spinal Discs. Have also since had my ruptured L-3 disc surgically removed.

Do, or would I willingly wear, or do anything with my feet that would put more load on a spine that is already overloaded? Not a chance, however many consciously to do so.

What I do, and will continue to do on daily basis is this:

Work to make sure my major spinal muscles/hamstring/calf tendons, ligaments, and muscles are as flexible as possible for my old body.

Included are resistance exercises for the front/side/lower and upper abdominal muscles to keep them as strong as they can be, again for my old body.

Some of those with spinal issues are too severe to follow what I do to protect my spine, however, more with back issues choose to do nothing to protect their back, and instead willingly do things to do just the opposite. Those that do usually "pay the piper".

"That's All Folks". It's your bodies, your choices!

hckynut(john)

I don't really understand are you calling me out for wearing flip flops ??  I certainly dont wear them in hopes that I will get injured , that makes no sense.   Been wearing them for most of my life in the summer and not cheap ones either very well made ones Sanuk brand,  and it  is my business.  I feel you are saying to me  that I deserve to be injured with your comment "pay the piper ". I'm sorry youve had many health issues ,  being in pain is not fun I've had my own issues through the years.  

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore

I put your nic, as I always do, when I am responding to a post I am "quoting", and many times because I am letting that contributor know that I have read their post.

You acknowledge that these(whatever these things are you wore/wear, never heard of them) were/are not good for your feet. I picked up on that, thus my long winded response. I did say "whatever one chooses to wear on their feet is up to them". Nowhere did I say, intentionally or otherwise, that anyone deserves to be injured or in pain.

I pointed out facts that are backed up by many studies and also from my own experiences(of which I have kept written records) of what particular brands and styles of "athletic running shoes" did what to my feet/knees/back and hips. My assumption was/is that too few know that many lower/middle, and upper body pain issues, start with the feet, thus all my comments.

I know what happened to my feet/knee/hip and lower back when I ran "X" number of miles in certain footwear, and I corrected the immediate source of the problem. I too had painful injuries from these choices, but I did not repeat them again by wearing those specific shoes(even though they didn't come cheap).

I see people abusing their bodies on a regular basis and that is their business. If however, any one of them ask me, or start a conversation about something that pertains to what I know is abuse, I straight out tell them. That is me, some like that approach, others? Maybe not!

But me wanting anyone to be injured or in pain because of doing "XYZ"? I think most on this forum know me better than that. 

If you believe you know what might have precipitated your latest issue? What you choose to do from there is up to only you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Kitty Galore

I put your nic, as I always do, when I am responding to a post I am "quoting", and many times because I am letting that contributor know that I have read their post.

You acknowledge that these(whatever these things are you wore/wear, never heard of them) were/are not good for your feet. I picked up on that, thus my long winded response. I did say "whatever one chooses to wear on their feet is up to them". Nowhere did I say, intentionally or otherwise, that anyone deserves to be injured or in pain.

I pointed out facts that are backed up by many studies and also from my own experiences(of which I have kept written records) of what particular brands and styles of "athletic running shoes" did what to my feet/knees/back and hips. My assumption was/is that too few know that many lower/middle, and upper body pain issues, start with the feet, thus all my comments.

I know what happened to my feet/knee/hip and lower back when I ran "X" number of miles in certain footwear, and I corrected the immediate source of the problem. I too had painful injuries from these choices, but I did not repeat them again by wearing those specific shoes(even though they didn't come cheap).

I see people abusing their bodies on a regular basis and that is their business. If however, any one of them ask me, or start a conversation about something that pertains to what I know is abuse, I straight out tell them. That is me, some like that approach, others? Maybe not!

But me wanting anyone to be injured or in pain because of doing "XYZ"? I think most on this forum know me better than that. 

If you believe you know what might have precipitated your latest issue? What you choose to do from there is up to only you.

hckynut(john@hckynut  That's the problem with posts ,  you never know how a person is saying something.    It's hard to interpret .  When a person is speaking you see expression and tone. I may have interpreted your post meaning wrong.     I guess the phrase "pay the piper" just resignated  with me the wrong way.  I can see from this post you meant no harm,  you just want to state the facts you know.  Noted.