Honored Contributor

Inspirational "use it or you'll lose it" story

[ Edited ]

@hckynut

Saw this and instantly thought of you... but you're a young' un compared to this great guy.

No pun intended, but this looks like a goal to shoot for.  Have no doubt you'll keep scoring like he is.

At 96 years old, Mark Sertich is the world's oldest hockey player

Image result for mark sertich

NBC Nightly News  4/22/18

Three days each week, 96-year-old Mark Sertich hits the ice in Duluth, Minnesota, to play hockey with a group of local firefighters.

In this week’s Sunday Closer, NBC’s Kevin Tibbles meets the Guinness World Record holder for the world’s oldest hockey player who has no plans to slow down.

(video) 

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/at-96-years-old-mark-sertich-is-the-world-s-oldest-hockey...

Honored Contributor

Re: Inspirational "use it or you'll lose it" story

[ Edited ]

@feline groovy  Thanks for posting...so true.  We are capable of so much....I've never let age stop me in any life pursuit (unfortunately other's perception can be limiting, but I don't allow that to interfere with my dreams).  At a seasoned age, I've completed marathons, a triathlon,  graduate degrees, and national board recognition in my profession.  Did I win anything no (although I did come in second for my age group in the triathlon... at my age there were only a few of us Smiley Tongue).  It was the journey of transformation that was the reward.  It is a lifestyle and, yes, John is an inspiration and frequently exemplifies these traits.  Love this post!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've learned that retirement for humans is mostly a death sentence. I've worked at the United Nations as an undergraduate and graduate student. It's a well known fact that once UN employees retire at the mandatory age of 60, many perish within a few years.

I plan to never retire and to always keep moving. Having something to look forward to gives you purpose and works to keep you alive and well. It's a very simple principle that makes a huge difference on health and well-being.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@feline groovy

Thank you for posting this thread, and for your kind comments. This story about this man should, and will, inspire many. Age is a barrier only to those that allow it to be. Sure, this certainly does not mean a return to the past, nor does it mean you can attain certain things of the younger years. To me, that is what many expect to do, and when they realize they cannot, they give up.

As we age we also have to recognize that success is not gaged on returning to thinking: "I used to be able to ****** "! Used to's are for our memory banks, not to be the end goal of one's effort to continue to pursue attainable goals, regardless of chronological age.

Of course, the younger one understands that the better they care for their body when younger, the greater the return they will see as they age. I did just that, and while I have experienced many health setbacks, my physical structure, along with my mental structure, are still very much in tact.

One has to believe in themselves, not compare with their past, nor judge their successes based on what others are able to do. That is what I do at the present and will continue to do as long as my body will allow me to do so. At times I have given up too, but in time I found the desire to try harder and accept what I can do, while forgetting things I can no longer do.

My best to you, and thank you

hn

hckynut(john)