Respected Contributor

Re: Innoculation for Pneumonia - anyone had one?

On 12/18/2014 fthunt said:

zero reaction - I had the pneumonia 2 vaccination series a couple years apart. My doc insisted I get it - I said 'okay'. I don't get a reaction from the flu shot either but haven't, and won't have, the shingles shot.

I know what they say about the shingle shot - - but my friend is still suffering from shingles - she had the shot six years ago and came down with it a month ago. She's really suffering - can't sleep at night - rash/muscles hurt so much.

Oh, I got my shingles shot after having shingles (because you can get it multiple times). Shingles is the single most painful thing I have every gone through. Mine lasted a full month (to the day), I couldn't sleep, I worked but I can't even remember how I got through the day. I curled up in a ball on the floor and rocked back and forth in pain.

Respected Contributor

On 12/18/2014 lavenderjunkie said:

I'm very sensitive to many medications and shots. That said, I had the shingles shot and the pneumonia shots several years ago and I had no real reaction to either one. When I got a tetanus (DPAT) shot I had a rash the size of North and South America on my arm for several weeks. The current pneumonia vaccine is different from the one given several years ago. So talk with your doctor about the feedback on the current shot. You really can't go by the old one.

I will definitely talk to the dr about which pneumonia shot to get. I myself prefer medications that have been on the market for years instead of the new one. I wasn't aware there was an older pneumonia shot, but thank you for that!

Super Contributor

Yes, and with no problems.

Respected Contributor

On 12/18/2014 Chrystaltree said:

If you think a shingles vaccine gave you an ear infection, you should pass on the pneumonia vaccine. It might give you gallstones...lol

I really think my immune system must have been compromised before I got the shot and therefore maybe the virus in the shot had something to do with that.

Honored Contributor

I had my pneumonia shot last year when I turned 65 - you are supposed to get a booster in 5 years I believe.

Esteemed Contributor

I was at the doctors the beginning of this month...I got a pneumonia shot in one arm and a flu shot in the other....no ill effects....

Respected Contributor

You can die from pneumonia; very unlikely you'll die from the shot.

Honored Contributor

On 12/18/2014 happygal said:

You can die from pneumonia; very unlikely you'll die from the shot.

This pretty much says it all in a nutshell.

Valued Contributor

The pneumonia vaccine is available to anyone over 65 or those who have compromised immune systems, or so I'm given to understand. Last year my husband and I went for our flu shots and because he had just turned 65, they offered (and he took) the pneumonia vaccine. At that same time I was just 8 weeks from turning 65 and my doctor's office said I had to wait so I got it this year. It's a 5 year vaccine, no need for updates every year as we do with the flu shot. Like circles said, I also got one shot in each arm, flu in one, pneumonia in the other.

No side effects at all (unless you count a very slight discomfort) when I happened to touch the site while showering. Otherwise, a big fat zero

Maria

Honored Contributor

On 12/18/2014 Hoosieroriginal said:
On 12/18/2014 fthunt said

Oh, I got my shingles shot after having shingles (because you can get it multiple times). Shingles is the single most painful thing I have every gone through. Mine lasted a full month (to the day), I couldn't sleep, I worked but I can't even remember how I got through the day. I curled up in a ball on the floor and rocked back and forth in pain.

if shingles are the most painful thing you have ever had in your life you are truely blessed.