Trusted Contributor

Re: Injured friend annot stand or walk - Need tips during healing process

On 11/20/2014 Yahooey said:

She has a cousin that is helping on the lawyer front. I will pass along the info regarding chronic pain. I'm sure her doctors are discussing scenarios with her.

When I initially posted, she was in the hospital for 1 week (no PT was done) and transferred to the center and began PT after an initial evaluation. Tomorrow Friday, she would have been at the center one week.When I saw her last Saturday, she needed help to transfer from the bed to the wheelchair. She needed to lean or hold onto something in doing so. Although she was NOT lifted physically, I do not call that standing or walking. It was lean, pivot and holding on so she doesn't plop down.

Since I'm not well versed in the jargon in these types of situations, perhaps that is considered standing and walking. In my mind, a pivot is not standing and taking a step into a wheelchair is not walking.

As stated yesterday morning, she went to a rollator. So she is taking steps and improving. Thank you for sending good thoughts

As your friend continues to heal, I'm sure she appreciates your support. You're wise to ignore the negative comments.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

She may also have Medical under her auto insurance which may help her. I'm sorry for your friend, but yes, if there is another at fault driver, get attorney. She needs it.
Trusted Contributor

On 11/20/2014 Mustangshar said: She may also have Medical under her auto insurance which may help her. I'm sorry for your friend, but yes, if there is another at fault driver, get attorney. She needs it.

She should definitely check with her insurance about her medical coverage on her auto policy because they should pay that regardless of any other payments she receives. I was in an accident a few years ago. The other driver was at fault and her insurance paid for my injuries and damage to the car but when I call my insurance they asked for my medical expenses and paid me directly. My insurance said I was entitled to that and it isn't considered double dipping because of the nature of my coverage.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Esteemed Contributor

Good luck to your friend. I think you will find with good family and friend support she will recover so much faster at home. As hard as it seems right now it will get better.
Honored Contributor

She has a cousin that is helping on the lawyer front. I will pass along the info regarding chronic pain. I'm sure her doctors are discussing scenarios with her.

When I initially posted, she was in the hospital for 1 week (no PT was done) and transferred to the center and began PT after an initial evaluation. Tomorrow Friday, she would have been at the center one week.When I saw her last Saturday, she needed help to transfer from the bed to the wheelchair. She needed to lean or hold onto something in doing so. Although she was NOT lifted physically, I do not call that standing or walking. It was lean, pivot and holding on so she doesn't plop down.

Since I'm not well versed in the jargon in these types of situations, perhaps that is considered standing and walking. In my mind, a pivot is not standing and taking a step into a wheelchair is not walking.

As stated yesterday morning, she went to a rollator. So she is taking steps and improving. Thank you for sending good thoughts

And now the story changes - odd how that happens.

Super Contributor

On 11/21/2014 happy housewife said:

No, the story didn't change - as you stated in your post, you weren't able to walk because of your ankle, but you could stand on your good leg and pivot. That's not walking.

And I can verify from personal experience, you don't have to have a broken bone to not be able to walk. The muscles move the bones and if the muscles are torn or bruised badly, they aren't going to be strong enough to hold you up. I deal with neuromuscular pain daily and there are times I absolutely cannot walk.

A big shot of empathy wouldn't hurt you in the least.

Honored Contributor

The story never changed and perhaps you need help in reading comprehension. And again you don't need to chime in with your dark cloud. You don't believe fine - SHOO. I guess negative attention is still attention. Suppose that is what you need to make your day. Enjoy.

Honored Contributor

OP here - this post was to ask for tips and gadgets that will help in the healing process not necessarily legal and insurance policies. The tips I got, I passed onto her. Thank you all again and nice to see you Adelle- miss you on Pancake

Honored Contributor

On 11/21/2014 Yahooey said:

The story never changed and perhaps you need help in reading comprehension. And again you don't need to chime in with your dark cloud. You don't believe fine - SHOO. I guess negative attention is still attention. Suppose that is what you need to make your day. Enjoy.

From "she can not stand or walk' to she can stand with assistance and pivot is a HUGE change. Exaggerated for drama.

Honored Contributor

Your lack of empathy is sickening.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986