Esteemed Contributor

Injections for biologic's question

I have been in Humira for 2 yrs now .   Once in awhile I really feel the needle    ,   i know at this point I've most likely developed scare tissue in areas of my stomach.  Even though I try to not use thevsamevsoot over and over again .   It's hard to find new spots .   So today Wow !!!! the stinging was bad also there was a resistance going in .   Im Thinking it was injecting into a scare tissue ,  I mean I don't know it for a fact but it seems logical.   I've looked online trying to find answers cause I'm concerned maybe it isn't getting into my blood stream if it's stuck in tissue .   I even called Humira and my pharmacist hoping to get answers ,  found out nothing!   Just don't use same spot when my question is can the medication get to my blood stream if it did indeed go into scare tissue.   Seems a pretty easy question firbthem imwould think.

If anyone here uses Humira or any other biologic and has had this problem I'd appreciate your thoughts.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Injections for biologic's question

before i stopped using humira....wasn't working for me....i switched to their new citrate-free version.....was advertised to eliminate the stinging/burning  issue.....and it did....very surprised that when you called humira you weren't informed of this.......

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take Taultz. I try and switch sides in my adomen. I take it once a month. Try to use different spots on my abdomen. But yes this can happen.  The stinging is always bad for me. Feels like a bad bee sting. But it works so I can handle it once a month. They say if you rub ice cubes on the injection site to numb it that will help. Also make sure it isn't cold.

Valued Contributor

I wouldn't rule out scar tissue, but I wouldn't assume it was that either. Every so often my nurse hits a vessel and I bruise. We alternate sides also.

Have you tried doing the injection really slowly? I am not getting any of the meds you discuss here, but mine is thick it seems, and there is a lot of it. They give it over 10 minutes, which is hard on the nurse. I feel it usually the entire time, but it really hurts if they don't do it slowly.

Not sure this helped.

Esteemed Contributor

@KLm wrote:

I wouldn't rule out scar tissue, but I wouldn't assume it was that either. Every so often my nurse hits a vessel and I bruise. We alternate sides also.

Have you tried doing the injection really slowly? I am not getting any of the meds you discuss here, but mine is thick it seems, and there is a lot of it. They give it over 10 minutes, which is hard on the nurse. I feel it usually the entire time, but it really hurts if they don't do it slowly.

Not sure this helped.

The sad thing about Biologiccs is most are in these auto injectors which make the needle come out so fast. You can't stop and start. I do believe you can ask for shrynges if it is too bad. 

Valued Contributor

@ccassaday Oh, I didn't realize it was an auto injector. My only experience with those is an epi-pen.

Thank you for the clarification and also the information that you can ask for a syringe if it is too painful.

Esteemed Contributor

I do use the syringe ,  not the pen as it is too darn painful !  My nurse friend who is also took Humira suggested the syringe ,  I told my dr and he agreed.     He also ordered the citrate free once it was available I didn't even know there was one.    and most of the time I feel nothing at all !   This is only the 2nd time I had this bee sting burning,  plus a hard time pushing the needle in that's day I figured scar tissue from previous injections.  I do it very slowly which I feel helps too.    I switch sides also I inject every 2 weeks.   It's very difficult to remember exact spots  on my stomach and inevitably I inject in the same spot now and then.    I wish I could figure a way to map out areas so as not to use the same spot over and over again.   

Contributor

I inject in my thigh and I use the same thigh every time. I have a pretty high level of pain tolerance but it still stings someimes.

Contributor

I've been injecting humira and then enbrel before for many years. I always injected in my thighs but started injecting in my stomach about a year ago. It's much less painful but I find every injection can vary, some more painful than others. You do ice the site beforehand right?

Honored Contributor

• My friend has been on Humira for years, she never mentioned.  What did your doctor say when you asked him or her?