Honored Contributor

Infrared thermometer that works?

I'm ready to buy one and all the reviews are terrible. They stop working or they never worked, and on and on. If you have one would you give me the brand name? I heard Braun has a good one but it has so many functions! Just take someone's temperature-that's all I want to do!

Honored Contributor

Re: Infrared thermometer that works?

@Judaline wrote:

I'm ready to buy one and all the reviews are terrible. They stop working or they never worked, and on and on. If you have one would you give me the brand name? I heard Braun has a good one but it has so many functions! Just take someone's temperature-that's all I want to do!

I bought mine from Shop HQ.  It had both good and bad reviews... made in China ******... but what isn't?  It works just fine. 

Honored Contributor

I got mine from Amazon and the name is  LPOW. I've checked the results against the one at the hospital, and it is accurate. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I wouldn't want to steer my DAYSIE friend wrong @Judaline so I will just say I bought the Homedics infrared thermometer in November it came with an oxygen measurement device. I've  used it almost daily and it's fine. I was caught here without a thermometer when the pandemic began, so it's better than having nothing. It feels flimsy but I think they all do. HSN is where I bought it from

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

I wouldn't want to steer my DAYSIE friend wrong @Judaline so I will just say I bought the Homedics infrared thermometer in November it came with an oxygen measurement device. I've  used it almost daily and it's fine. I was caught here without a thermometer when the pandemic began, so it's better than having nothing. It feels flimsy but I think they all do. HSN is where I bought it from

Thanks, DAYSIE. I will check it out. DAYSIES are to be trusted!

Honored Contributor

I use an Exergen digital temporal scanner infrared that swipes across the forehead. Compared it to a mercury and it was right on every time.  It is still being sold.

If you are interested, watch out for pricing.  Some are overcharging by a lot.  

I've been using it over 10 years.  No problems.  

I think the method is very important.  

My brother-in-law became very sick during a visit.  His temperature on this Exergen was 102.8.  The temperature was very cold outside in the teens that evening. The ER used an ear infrared.  The nurse said his temp was normal.  They were not going to treat him.  

My sister had the same illness before they visited.  She described her symptoms and high temperature.  The doctor, then, gave him an antibiotic.

When they arrived home, they told me what happened.  I took his temp again and and it was over 103.  I took mine.  It read 98.6 exactly.  I asked him what kind of thermometer was used.  He said ear.  Then asked him if his ears were cold.  He said "very cold."  

He took the antibiotic as directed, overnight his fever broke, and he was feeling better the next morning.

I was shocked that this ER would check temps using this type of thermometer on people coming in from the cold.  

The ear thermometer might work fine for people who were inside in the winter.  Have no experience with those that are held away from the patient, but until I try one, I'm not very trusting. 

Valued Contributor

Our Braun was not accurate.  We kept getting different readings.  It's the No Touch + forehead  NTF 3000.

Valued Contributor

@Judaline   this is the one I ordered from Walmart. Works great.  $12.88

E2EB4163-1FBE-4B9C-9506-6F19637C1499.jpeg

Super Contributor

I bought the Equate temple one but it kept giving me different readings.

I bought an infrared one from QVC and it's a piece of junk ($70 bye bye) Kept showing that my temp was 96, husband's too.

Honestly, since the pandemic started, most of these infrared thermometers are junk from China that are not reliable. My church bought some and they are a joke. Maybe there are some good brands with availability but I haven't found them.

The most reliable thermometer to me is the Braun Thermoscan in-ear.  My thermometer is 20 years old and I just bought more covers for it.  My husband, myself, and kids got over Covid using it.  I bought one for my son to take to college and it works great.