Respected Contributor

Wow,my side of cheek and neck is swollen terribly.i have a broken off tooth,and assuming this why my neck a cheek is swollen.i went to er until I can see my dentist.was given penicillin and pain pills.im assuming rest of tooth will have to be pulled.this terrifies me.has this happened to anyone else

Honored Contributor

Re: Infected tooth

[ Edited ]

I was in the midst of an implant.  The periodontist didn't give me an antibiotic.   The next day that half of my face was twice the size and I had an interview.

I went to the interview,  then I went to the doctor.   The gum didn't heal back right, the screw had to be removed, the jaw bone had to grow back, then the entire process is being repeated!  I'm almost through.  The virus came in the midst of this!

Esteemed Contributor

Once you get the infection under control with antibiotics you will feel better. It usually takes 24 hours. If you need an extraction that is nothing to worry about. 

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

Wow,my side of cheek and neck is swollen terribly.i have a broken off tooth,and assuming this why my neck a cheek is swollen.i went to er until I can see my dentist.was given penicillin and pain pills.im assuming rest of tooth will have to be pulled.this terrifies me.has this happened to anyone else

@Luvsmyfam   You don't even want to hear my dental woes and I have trigeminal neuralgia. No pain medicine on earth touches that pain.  Yes, swelling up into eye, neck and at forehead and do take PCN.  It is dangerous.  Take it.  Go to oral surgeon.

Trusted Contributor

Dental infections can be terribly dangerous. Please get some antibiotics and get the problem fixed before it endangers your heart or some other part you can't do without! The pain, even if bad, does go away.

Respected Contributor

So Manny2  I'm terrified of having rest of tooth pulled.i want to be put out,but will cost extra.as it is,I'm paying everything out of pocket.but don't want to go on like this.

Respected Contributor

Oh my goodness you poor thing.how did u manage ?I commend you for going to interview.wish I was strong like that.i probably would have cancelled

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

So Manny2  I'm terrified of having rest of tooth pulled.i want to be put out,but will cost extra.as it is,I'm paying everything out of pocket.but don't want to go on like this.

@Luvsmyfam  An oral surgeon can do just that.

Respected Contributor

Yes I know oral surgeon would put me out,just so pricey.er Dr tonight also gave me pain pills along with penicillin. Hope I feel better tomorrow until I see my dentist

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam  It may not need pulled and can be fixed with a crown and maybe a root canal.