Esteemed Contributor

@Luvsmyfam - you might be able to have a root canal and a crown done. Your dentist will be able to tell if you need it pulled in which case, he can recommend an oral surgeon.

Whether you have the root canal/crown procedure or have it pulled, its going to cost $$

Esteemed Contributor

@Luvsmyfam  They will give you ample novacaine.  You will feel pressure and hear sounds in your ear but you shouldn't feel any discomfort.  An oral surgeon can  do the extraction while you are awake also.  You probably won't have to pay much more than the general dentist and the surgeons extract teeth daily so they are quite efficient at it.  Best of luck but get on with it so you can start to heal and get rid of that infection.   A healthy mouth is a happy mouth. (I am a retired dental assistant).

Esteemed Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

Wow,my side of cheek and neck is swollen terribly.i have a broken off tooth,and assuming this why my neck a cheek is swollen.i went to er until I can see my dentist.was given penicillin and pain pills.im assuming rest of tooth will have to be pulled.this terrifies me.has this happened to anyone else

I think you need to get to the dentist ASAP. Even if it happened to 20 people, each person is different. A broken tooth is going to turn into an infection. That hurts - you don't want that. Even if you're dental phobic, please call your dentist. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Infected tooth

[ Edited ]

@Luvsmyfam   How long has the tooth been broken?   Never leave such a tooth uncared for as  it is going to die.

If you had taken care of it pronto....you MIGHT. have had options....but with the tooth infected and dying, your options might be limited now.  You can not save a dying tooth.

Hopefully they can do a root canal as long as the  broken tooth did not break down below the gumline. 

otherwise they will have to pull the tooth.

The option to pull the tooth is the cheapest option...

but then you are missng a tooth and to get an implant or a  a bridge is very expensive....  you can always op to just not replace the tooth they pull. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

So Manny2  I'm terrified of having rest of tooth pulled.i want to be put out,but will cost extra.as it is,I'm paying everything out of pocket.but don't want to go on like this.

@LuvsmyfamI don't think it's that expensive to have an extraction. Call and have it done as soon as possible. I promise you will be happy you did. Having a toothache is considered one of  the worst pains a human has to endure.

If you feel better since starting antibiotics don't let that fool you. The infection and pain will come back. You have to either treat the tooth, or extract it.

Honored Contributor

A broken tooth alone would not necessarily be the cause of this infection.

There may be an abscess for that reason or another.

Any infection needs attention, good move to go to the ER.

Depending on the condition of the tooth, it may have to be pulled or it can be restored with a crown.   

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Just called my dentist,and can't get in until monday.if pain stays tolerable,I think I can manage til then.when er checked my tooth area,they saw no absess,assess, is a good thing.i truly appreciate everyone's feed back

Esteemed Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

Just called my dentist,and can't get in until monday.if pain stays tolerable,I think I can manage til then.when er checked my tooth area,they saw no absess,assess, is a good thing.i truly appreciate everyone's feed back

@Luvsmyfam 

If I called my dentist with the pain and swelling and problem you have and was told I had to wait till Monday you can your sweet bippy I'd be on the phone right now finding myself a new dentist.

Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

@Luvsmyfam 

If I called my dentist with the pain and swelling and problem you have and was told I had to wait till Monday you can your sweet bippy I'd be on the phone right now finding myself a new dentist.

Exactly!!!! This is an emergency and should be seen immediately, not almost a week away.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I just had a root canal done on an infected tooth yesterday. Getting a tooth pulled does not hurt. I've heard several people tell me how afraid they were to have it done but then said it was nothing afterwards.