Respected Contributor

Re: Indeterminate findings in MRI for liver

[ Edited ]

@domel wrote:
@Coquille. I know it is better that issues are found in the very early stages and the rational part of my brain believes that but the anxiety and negative part of my personality takes over. Thank you SO MUCH ❤

@domel 😘 It's not for the weak of heart! You're strong and you will get through it day by day. That's what we do. We get through it and then on to the next issue. Even writing to you last night, gave me a little bit of palpitations. You will get through it. This is the hardest time, not knowing. Just keep doing breathing exercises when it gets really bad. Take 6 or 7 deep breaths in through your nose, slowly, hold for 6 or 7 seconds and then let out slowly, to. the count of 6 or 7 THROUGH YOUR MOUTH, slowly.That will calm you down for the time being. I know it's on your mind 24/7, that's normal BUT you will be ok. Talk your feelings out. Whether to me, friends, family, let them out. I'm here if you need me!🙋

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@domel

I hope you will hear good news and you probably will soon.

After my colonoscopy last summer and an abdominal CT scan, many minor issues were found including fatty liver.

Had never heard much about this abnormality and all my liver enzymes tests were normal.

My GI has diagnosed IBS and non-cancerous polyps; the kind that can morph into cancerous. 

The abdominal CT scan was at my insistence of severe abdominal pain...not the kind that sends one to ER but nevertheless, quite debilitating.

I finally got the courage to insistently mention this pain last summer because my PCP just shrugged and my GI offered.

My takeaway is that my perceived liver pain does not start up if I eat correctly. (lots of fiber and low fat/low salt). So, red peppers or bananas do not cause the pain, but rich holiday food certainly does.

Thank goodness I had the abdominal CT scan! Oh my, what showed up I would classify as "a mess!"  (but my doctors don't!)  The GI nurse said "don't you have lots of lumbar pain?" Surprise. And the colonoscopy-revealed polyps showed up on the scan looking like giant holes!

After not getting any attention from doctors when mentioning abdominal pain, I feel grateful that my GI doctor went one step further by doing the scan.

Fatty liver seems to be pandemic and apparently can be resolved by proper eating habits and exercise. 

Hoping you get some answers and good ones too!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@domel Please let me know the results of your test and how you are. They usually tell you the results immediately but every doctor is different. I find that when I'm stressed, especially from medical issues, I drink my 99% caffeine free cappuccino iced, I either sit and watch tv alone or I put my headphones on and listen to my favorite music. That takes me away for awhile. Find that special something, whatever it is to free you of the stress for awhile and do it, every day. If you can walk everyday, that also helps mentally. Yoga, can also help. Nothing eliminates the stress but some things help you cope with the circumstances better! 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have metastatic uterine cancer that is kept stable by taking a drug that stops my body from producing estrogen--that way my cancer is not fueled. That being said--I have a PET scan every 3 months since 2011---never has anything been seen in my liver until this past October. The radiologist said that he sees "something" that wasn't there before--I freaked out. I was sent for a liver sonogram, which showed nothing suspicious--I felt better about it until my oncologist told me she would feel better if I had an MRI of the liver--but they couldn't fit me in for 4 weeks--those weeks I had to wait were hell on my husband and I--I just assumed my cancer had spread there and I'd better get my life in order--talk about scary! Finally had the MRI--it showed NOTHING suspicious---I nearly fainted when I heard the great news!! I was told that sometimes a radiologist will see something called "bakground noise" on a film--it could mean something or mean nothing--but it must be checked out. Why suddenly, after having this type of scan for 8 years, did something show up on my liver? Unexplanable. I think I aged 10 years after going through that--but I panicked (I think rightfully so!). So--you see--everything isn't always what they seem. Oh, and they also found pancreatic cysts, which I was told have been there a long time--not one of my doctors ever mentioned that to me.

Maybe get a CD of your films and get a second opinion from another radiologist?? Do you have any other films that this recent one can be compared to?

Best of luck....hope your situation turns out to be like mine--a big fat NOTHING!!!

God bless.

Contributor

@Coquille. Thank you, I will,
Contributor

@Gracies Mom. Thanj you for sharing and I am happy you are doing well. The waiting is what causes the anxiety.
Contributor

@loves to teach. Thank you for sharing. I am watching the diet much more now.
Respected Contributor

@domel I meant to ask you, has your GI or Primary suggested you see an Endocrinologist, now or eventually?

Contributor

Update*****

I had an endoscopic ultrasound on Thursday and it seems like everything is okay. I do have a liver cyst which is ok, the pancreatic cysts were too small to even take a sample of by fine needle aspiration di I will have another MRI with contrast in 6 months and if no changes again in a year or two. The gastroenterologist doing the procedure said with increased imaging and improved imaging, more of these cysts are being found. They might be IPMNS and if so he said it is something I will die with not from. I was also found to have a hiatal hernia and gastritis. Many in my family have hiatal hernias. I still have to see a urologist next week for the kidney cyst but I am just relieved that everything seems to be 9kat with everything else. Pancreatic tests, tumor markers were good.

Thanks to all for the kind, encouraging words.
Respected Contributor

@domel. I'm so happy for you! Thank God all is well. We all must take it day by day, whether one is 29, 30, 60, etc. We deal with what we have and then, move on to the next, if we're lucky. Stay well!😉