Honored Contributor

Re: Increase in skirt size linked to increase in BC risk

I have cared for just as many people who are thin and fit but had heart attacks, strokes and diabetes and cancers as those who were overweight.

Some people are just nuts who can't wait to make anyone who is overweight into some kind of demon. Not true.

Honored Contributor

On 9/25/2014 gazelle77 said:
On 9/25/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 9/25/2014 ical said:

I dunno. Soon every female will be told to hide under a tent and only eat what's approved to be thrown at them once or twice a day. imo.

I doubt very much it's just about what we eat.

It's more likely a composite of genetics and how we eat, think, react, love, hate, exercise, sleep, etc. etc. etc.

we are what we eat! We are what is in our environment. Yes, genetics plays a huge part in our health history....and future. And also our mental state... but food and what we eat is going to be seen as even more important down the road. This includes supplementation as well. Mushroom extracts, Broccoli extracts, flax lignan extracts, and more.

You don't know what will be more important "down the road".

Many in the health sciences think that our minds will actually be the bottom line.

Super Contributor

On 9/26/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 9/25/2014 ical said:

I dunno. Soon every female will be told to hide under a tent and only eat what's approved to be thrown at them once or twice a day. imo.

It's more likely a composite of genetics and how we eat, think, react, love, hate, exercise, sleep, etc. etc. etc.

we are what we eat! We are what is in our environment. Yes, genetics plays a huge part in our health history....and future. And also our mental state... but food and what we eat is going to be seen as even more important down the road. This includes supplementation as well. Mushroom extracts, Broccoli extracts, flax lignan extracts, and more.

Many in the health sciences think that our minds will actually be the bottom line.

well that and talking to dead people may very well be the answer!{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Honored Contributor

On 9/26/2014 gazelle77 said:
On 9/26/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 9/25/2014 ical said:

well that and talking to dead people may very well be the answer!{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Whoooooosh.....................

Super Contributor

On 9/25/2014 happy housewife said:

I have cared for just as many people who are thin and fit but had heart attacks, strokes and diabetes and cancers as those who were overweight.

Some people are just nuts who can't wait to make anyone who is overweight into some kind of demon. Not true.

My Mom had a heart attack in her late 70s. She told the medical staff at the hospital that she was surprised it happened to her, since she's not overweight, walks a lot, eats sensibly and doesn't have high blood pressure. The nurses told her that none of that matters, there's just no knowing who's going to have a heart attack. They see just as many fit people as they do overweight couch potatoes. So they don't judge, because there's no reason to.

Super Contributor

What my oncologist said is that it's the size of the OMENTUM, or layer of belly fat that increases, that is a link to possible cancer as we age. We MUST keep our weight in check and do what we must to insure we do not get thick around our lower belly. As we approach and go into menopause we tend to do this.

So, it's best to do what we must before 40 to insure that we are protected, or start an exercise and/or diet program to get it off and keep it off. This, of course, also effects our heart, kidneys, and other vital organs as well.

Girls, there really is no way around it. Like it or not, we must be or get in shape as we age. Hhrruummpphhh !!!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Super Contributor

On 9/27/2014 Remee said:

What my oncologist said is that it's the size of the OMENTUM, or layer of belly fat that increases, that is a link to possible cancer as we age. We MUST keep our weight in check and do what we must to insure we do not get thick around our lower belly. As we approach and go into menopause we tend to do this.

So, it's best to do what we must before 40 to insure that we are protected, or start an exercise and/or diet program to get it off and keep it off. This, of course, also effects our heart, kidneys, and other vital organs as well.

Girls, there really is no way around it. Like it or not, we must be or get in shape as we age. Hhrruummpphhh !!!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

People just kind of accept fat and being overweight as a part of our aging...like it is something that just happens and nothing can be done about it. That is a wrong assumption. You can be fit after menopause and have a trim waistline. It does take work and the will and want to exercise and eat right... that is probably the reason most women find the cop out of just accepting being out of shape as a part of life easier. Thus shapers, spandex to get the look of inches lost... rather than really doing it and losing it.

Super Contributor

On 9/26/2014 Clover29 said:
On 9/25/2014 happy housewife said:

My Mom had a heart attack in her late 70s. She told the medical staff at the hospital that she was surprised it happened to her, since she's not overweight, walks a lot, eats sensibly and doesn't have high blood pressure. The nurses told her that none of that matters, there's just no knowing who's going to have a heart attack. They see just as many fit people as they do overweight couch potatoes. So they don't judge, because there's no reason to.

No one is judging anybody. Sometimes things do just happen. BUT for the majority of women, being trim and losing that belly is going to improve your chances of a healthy life as you age.

Valued Contributor

I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 60. No one in my family had it. I was lucky and it was stage 1. I saw a lot of women in radiation that were thin. One was in her 70s and she looked frail. Another was close to 80, frail and in a wheelchair. There were a lot of us there. I know body fat produces estrogen but I still think the genes make a big difference. 5 years after being diagnosed my cousin was diagnosed with breast cancer and she was about 70 and very thin. This was on my father's side too which is now taken into consideration. My neighbor's mother in law was in her 90s and got breast cancer and she was a frail thin woman. I asked my oncologist if estrogen can cause breast cancer why do so many older women get it. He said they don't know.

Respected Contributor

I think the fact that I was on HRT for 15 years was a much more important factor in my BC than the fact that I went up 2 skirt sizes during that same period. But, I think it is wonderful that we have more and more information about possible causes so we can all be more aware of our options or risks. We should all focus on the information that continues to come out and work to help ourselves avoid BC if we can.

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama