Esteemed Contributor

Re: Increase Protein Intake For Women Over 50

@Nightowlz wrote:

I have never tried those. For some reason I thought they had artificial sweeteners in them. I just looked & did not see any.

Do they taste good? What flavor do you drink? Have you used the vanilla & added fruit? TIA

Since it has milk not sure if I can drink them or not. I don't eat ice cream because it bothers my stomach. I guess all I can do is try them.

I think this may be what my FIL drinks per his doctor. I will check with him & see if I can buy one to try first.

@Nightowlz

I get all the flavors!! I buy them from Costco- and whatever flavors they don't have in the store I buy from their website. The shipping is minimal- although i wish it was free if you ordered a certain dollar amount. Woman Sad

Banana is probably my least favorite premier shake, I'd much rather just have a banana! That's one fruit I can pick out well.Woman Happy Other produce? I always find the worst in the bunch!!

And if the minimal  sucralose they use is an issue, I've also tried their organic shake. It's made with stevia- 25 grams of protein- and really quite good!

I have some lactose issues myself, this doesn't bother me. I think the higher fat lactose (ice cream Heart) products are my real issue.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The amount of protein you need per day depends on what you weigh. There is a calculation of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram(2.2 lbs) of body weight. No way is the amount the same for all.

The 90 grams of protein that Kirsten said to consume would be enough for a 250 person.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the replies ladies....seems like when I do watch Q someone is on saying stuff like this and it really bugs me LOL!  I also heard that other sales rep on air selling a weight loss pill of some kind say women should consume 100GRAMS of protien per day with a 2000 calorie diet!  WHAT?! LOL

I think the range I am presently in is probably correct....I do work out with weights 2 times per week and do my elipitical 30mins.  

Just really bugs me when I hear them on air saying stuff like this is all.

Honored Contributor

Premier Protein is very good!    Must be very, very cold.   For my sweet tooth, I prefer caramel over chocolate and I recently found a caramel flavor available.   It's really good.

Be careful with the protein intake.   Protein can be hard on your kidneys.  Not every body needs the exact same requirements.     If you have good healthy rip-roaring kidneys, go for it.  A small amount of protein at every meal is best for me, I don't drink the shakes every day.

I also found the Nutrisystem NutriCrush shakes at Walmart, they are good too.

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

I have never tried those. For some reason I thought they had artificial sweeteners in them. I just looked & did not see any.

Do they taste good? What flavor do you drink? Have you used the vanilla & added fruit? TIA

Since it has milk not sure if I can drink them or not. I don't eat ice cream because it bothers my stomach. I guess all I can do is try them.

I think this may be what my FIL drinks per his doctor. I will check with him & see if I can buy one to try first.

@Nightowlz

I get all the flavors!! I buy them from Costco- and whatever flavors they don't have in the store I buy from their website. The shipping is minimal- although i wish it was free if you ordered a certain dollar amount. Woman Sad

Banana is probably my least favorite premier shake, I'd much rather just have a banana! That's one fruit I can pick out well.Woman Happy Other produce? I always find the worst in the bunch!!

And if the minimal  sucralose they use is an issue, I've also tried their organic shake. It's made with stevia- 25 grams of protein- and really quite good!

I have some lactose issues myself, this doesn't bother me. I think the higher fat lactose (ice cream Heart) products are my real issue.

@Ibby114 I scanned over the label so fast I did not see the Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium. I won't use products with those. The Acesulfame Potassium gives me a headache. This is why I won't buy Andrew Lessman Secure Meals. Guess I could try the organic if I could find them around here. We don't have a Costco's. Don't you have to be a member to order from them online?

I figure the ice cream bothers my stomach because it's higher fat. I can eat Gelato with no problems. It's lower fat then ice cream.

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

I've been told 60-80 grams from my doctor. I drink Premier protein shakes daily, each is 30 grams! I easily hit my minimum. Most 'meat' proteins don't agree with me.

The tricky thing is the protein should also be low fat- my shakes are low fat, low sugar and only 150 or so calories.

@Ibby114

LOVE the Premier Protein shakes!    My favorites are vanilla, caramel and banana.    Where else can you get 30 grams of high quality, low fat protein for 160 calories?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Love how Marketing has told us, 'more protein, the better'.

Such Bro-Science.

I guarantee...ask 100 people 'why do we need protein'

and you'll get a blank stare from most everyone.

No one knows why.

And to arbitrary throw out a random # of grams without

knowing the total calorie intake is crazy.

Everyone thinks this nutrient has magical, mystical powers.

If some is good, than more is better.

Not.

10% of your total calories should be protein for optimum health.

Any more than that, your kidneys will pay the price.

@sidsmom

OMG, will you please stop with the crazy "guarantees"!    

You honestly think us asking 100 people why we need protein .....  and 100 people out of 100 won't know?  That's statistically impossible ....  and your "facts" are wrong.   Ten percent protein isn't nearly enough.  

Based on the comments you make, it's pretty obvious you don't know very much about nutrition.   I just hope no one on here believes your assertion that people can subsist on just potatoes!

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Nightowlz

@Ibby114 I scanned over the label so fast I did not see the Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium. I won't use products with those. The Acesulfame Potassium gives me a headache. This is why I won't buy Andrew Lessman Secure Meals. Guess I could try the organic if I could find them around here. We don't have a Costco's. Don't you have to be a member to order from them online?

I figure the ice cream bothers my stomach because it's higher fat. I can eat Gelato with no problems. It's lower fat then ice cream.

@Nightowlz

In most sorbets and gelatos, they do have less fat than ice cream, but many have a lot more sugar.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Nightowlz

@Nightowlz

In most sorbets and gelatos, they do have less fat than ice cream, but many have a lot more sugar.

@Tinkrbl44 LOL more sugar. Yes it's a trade off. I buy the Talenti Gelato. The hazelnut chocolate chip has 25g per 1/2 cup. I usually only eat 1 dip but sometimes I eat a little more. Those little pints last me a while since I don't eat it that often. I like the frozen yogurt from Braum's. It does not bother my stomach either.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Tinkrbl44 wrote:

sidsmom wrote:

Love how Marketing has told us, 'more protein, the better'.

Such Bro-Science.

I guarantee...ask 100 people 'why do we need protein'

and you'll get a blank stare from most everyone.

No one knows why.

And to arbitrary throw out a random # of grams without

knowing the total calorie intake is crazy.

Everyone thinks this nutrient has magical, mystical powers.

If some is good, than more is better.

Not.

10% of your total calories should be protein for optimum health.

Any more than that, your kidneys will pay the price.

@sidsmom

OMG, will you please stop with the crazy "guarantees"!    

You honestly think us asking 100 people why we need protein .....  and 100 people out of 100 won't know?  That's statistically impossible ....  and your "facts" are wrong.   Ten percent protein isn't nearly enough.  

Based on the comments you make, it's pretty obvious you don't know very much about nutrition.   I just hope no one on here believes your assertion that people can subsist on just potatoes!

@Tinkrbl44

@SilleeMee used the .8/kg body weight. I used 10% of total calories. Same/Same.

We're both in the same territory...using the .8/kg formula & the total calories,

it'll range from 10-20% of total calories. WHO recommends .83/kg. 

Personally, I first think of fat %, then calories, then grams of fiber.  

The 'potato' comment is not warranted since I mentioned nothing of it in my post upthread.  Please read more closely.  I appreciate the shout out, though.  

But if you want to go there, and as an educational point, eating 2000 calories of potatoes w/ a cup of soy milk for mashing potatoes will yield 10% of my protein needs.  No worry from this active athletic gal.

Rather than all the BroTeen talk, maybe we need to ask,

"Hey dude....where do you get your FIBER?"

.8/kg body weight.

10% of total calories.

Those calculations are spot on for optimum health.