Honored Contributor

Re: Incomplete Urinary Emptying....Anyone??

Thanks to all who shared about this issue... I had never heard of anything like this.  

Super Contributor

I've had the same experience. Urologist said I had a shy bladder and my urethra needed stretching. Oh, he stretched it alright. In the office, no anesthesia. Pain level can be compared to having a tooth extracted rectally. It changed things for only a while and then everything returned to how it was before.  I now wear pads during the day and depends at night.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 I am such a terrified baby about this!  I have had other procedures in my life (bone surgery) you would think this wouldn't get me that frightened.  I know I should call them back and go in...guess that is the reason I started this topic to gain some strength to just DO IT!  

I don't have a fibroid but do have a 8mm cyst....rest of the report from vaginal ultrasound was normal.  Doctor wasn't concerned over the cyst.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@Trinity11 I am such a terrified baby about this!  I have had other procedures in my life (bone surgery) you would think this wouldn't get me that frightened.  I know I should call them back and go in...guess that is the reason I started this topic to gain some strength to just DO IT!  

I don't have a fibroid but do have a 8mm cyst....rest of the report from vaginal ultrasound was normal.  Doctor wasn't concerned over the cyst.

@tsavorite, I fully understand about having a lot of fear and trepidation regarding medical procedures. However, a cystoscopy is really nothing compared to some tests I have had to have (Type 1 diabetic), where they want to test you for a hangnail. (Just kidding)

Make that appointment because I bet you will get a quick diagnosis that will put your mind at rest. Just remember they do make sure you are comfortable. I had the head of urology do my last test and it was very easy. Make sure, though, that you get the very best doing it. The second test I had with an inexperienced doctor who took longer doing it. It was not painful but it was longer...

Respected Contributor

@Veridoc wrote:

I've had the same experience. Urologist said I had a shy bladder and my urethra needed stretching. Oh, he stretched it alright. In the office, no anesthesia. Pain level can be compared to having a tooth extracted rectally. It changed things for only a while and then everything returned to how it was before.  I now wear pads during the day and depends at night.

OMG! that's awful!  Now this is why I am terrified!  I don't have leakage...and I have heard that procedure of stretching can actually cause it in women who don't have it!  That is something that scares me silly.

For me I have more frequent urination and if I drink those large amounts and have to hold it for a test or their isn't a potty around....my bladder actually hurts and then spasms while I am trying to release it all out.  

I just wish they knocked you OUT for this stuff.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite -

I think only you know how much you are willing to tolerate to get a diagnosis. And then based on that if you can tolerate the treatment if in fact there is any. Would it be more surgery, what medication? It is important to ask these questions and decide what you can put up with.

For me, my own experience is that it seems drs do so many tests, many so uncomfortable or worse, only to still not know, or if they know, to prescribe some medication that causes worse symptoms then what you began with!

I have just grown so cynical about what drs can actually diagnose or treat. some of the procedures I have been through were like a nightmare, all to discover what is causing something, and then to have the treatment worse than ever. If I am told I have something and need a certain medication, I look it up and decide if I'm willing to live with everything that it does, or if it even helps.

And I do not like the system of going to a different doctor for every single different part of your body! My mother seems to spend her life going to doctor appointments. I will not do that.

Everyone except one that I have known from young to old who have had digestive problems, and have gone thru all these tests, the doctors still could not precisely diagnose it.

And many primary care doctors seem to rely or hope on myriad tests instead of thinking it out-what could this be?!

I will say my mother now has a DO-

doctor of osteopathy who looks at everything, all her medications and what they are doing for her or against her. He is wonderful. So there are still wonderful doctors out there, just hard to always find.I'm sure may are logged down with documentation and too may patients.

And if we go thru all the preventive procedures every year in addition to ones for actual problems-goodness!

How much of our life can we spend doing that. Not to mention that many have to pay 20% of the cost of these.

Sorry guys, thanks for letting me vent! But maybe there are others who feel this way too.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite 

I did not elaborate on the Cystoscopy in my other post because I somehow missed the part where you didn't have it done. As far as "being awake" and without Anesthesia?  My Urologist used a numbing gel anesthetic, kinda like a dentist with novocaine, comes back later after it takes effect.

While not the most pleasant experience I have been through, I would not bypass having it done again if it becomes necessary. I cannot speak for your gender, but the output of urine from the bladder, is the same in both genders, as far as I know.

Having had 2 Colonoscopies sans any anesthesia was much more unpleasant that having the Cystoscopy. My wife passed on having the Euro Dynamics tests I mentioned in my first post. She told me "No way", and this was prior to my having those particular procedure.

My suggestion would be to have it done.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut  thanks for sharing!  I can't imagine doing a colonoscopy w/o the knock me out medicationWoman Surprised  

I would really be upset to have this test and it made me worse...or if it's something that can be treated with a medication like for over active bladder.  I honestly don't want to take one of those due to the side effects.  Right now waiting on my lab results with a new doctor...will see what my BUN/Creatinine is this time....what he thinks I should do.

Respected Contributor

@on the bay  Yes how much am I willing to tolerate in these tests to get a answer....this is my struggle and of course based on some past experiences I know that I could go thur all the hoops/tests and not want the pill they offer or be able to even tolerate it!  Heck lot's of times they just put up their hands and say "we have no idea why" ....that's what my ENT had to do AFTER I did all those horrible tests for vertigo!  I now have a pill I can take when I have a vertigo attack and basically that's it....has side effects so I only take it in emergency or when I have to fly on a plane.....as it can be used for motion sickness. 

I am not seeing where there is a fix for nerve damage or spasms in bladder....maybe botox injections?  I don't think I could do that to be honest!  I won't do them in my face either LOL!

Think I will start a log on when and how often I actually go along with total amounts of what I drink for a week.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite 

My Urologist tried me on 3 different prescriptions and the only thing they did for me was made my mouth constantly dry. None of them changed anything regarding sudden urges, or the numerous times I had to go. That was years ago and I quit with the oral medicines.

My best to you with your issue.

hckynut

hckynut(john)