Respected Contributor

Re: In network/out of network consults

@151949 wrote:

@granddi This IS something she should have called ahead to confirm before she went to that particular lab.

The problem is that she did not go to a lab. The blood was drawn at dr office and sent to lab. Oh well, thought it was interesting to share. 

Esteemed Contributor

DH had a TIA as an outpatient at our rural hospital (that is in our BCBS  network).  The result was that he was air evaced to Mayo Clinic (out of network, but no one mentioned that)which started a 6 week ordeal at 3 hospitals and a $450,000 bill, most of which was out of network.  Took many calls,visits to BCBS headquarters with our reams of bills and spreadsheets before our obligation was reduced to a "mere" $10000.  By the way, I seriously considered doing a Presidential inquired as Obama care was being formulated at the time; I let BCBS know I was considering that (and alerting a t.v. consumer advocate.  After that they listened and helped us.

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

DH had a TIA as an outpatient at our rural hospital (that is in our BCBS  network).  The result was that he was air evaced to Mayo Clinic (out of network, but no one mentioned that)which started a 6 week ordeal at 3 hospitals and a $450,000 bill, most of which was out of network.  Took many calls,visits to BCBS headquarters with our reams of bills and spreadsheets before our obligation was reduced to a "mere" $10000.  By the way, I seriously considered doing a Presidential inquired as Obama care was being formulated at the time; I let BCBS know I was considering that (and alerting a t.v. consumer advocate.  After that they listened and helped us.

Wow, all that for a TIA! Almost all health insurance policies have a max out of pocket amount - that is the max you pay no matter what. It is usually under $10,000. You should be aware what your max out of pocket amount is, because you can't be billed anything over that.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@patbz wrote:

Wow, all that for a TIA! Almost all health insurance policies have a max out of pocket amount - that is the max you pay no matter what. It is usually under $10,000. You should be aware what your max out of pocket amount is, because you can't be billed anything over that.

We have an EPO through husbands work and if we go out of network we are into it for 100%, there is no max out limit.

Respected Contributor

I think the max out of pocket is for covered services only.

I'm also not sure what  a "Presidential inquiry" is or how it relates to medical expenses.