Esteemed Contributor

Re: 👨 In Honor of Men's Health Month 👨

@lolakimono - Thank you for the reminder. They do now screen for prostate cancer when men hit a certain age - don't know if its 50 or 55. 

As far as esophogeal cancer goes, our dear friend was diagnosed 3 1/2 yrs ago and has had multiple surgeries - none of which went well. He has been on a feeding tube for most of this time, has a hole in his neck which oozes all the time and gets infections easily.

When we go north, we generally try and stop by and say hello (his health permitting) because, well, you just never know.

He was a heavy smoker until about 5 years ago, drank heavily as a young man and developed a "cough" - sort of like having to clear your throat - shortly before being diagnosed.

Honestly, I asked his wife if he was asked these questions and she said absolutely not!

Respected Contributor

@hckynut

Thanks for your response. The reason my DH doctor recommend him to use the cologuard is that it's very risky for him to get a regular colonoscopy. I know it's more accurate, but his risk of bleeding badly is too high. We will have to see what the results say and what the dr. says. I am hoping all goes well, plus there is no history in his family. I know that doesn't eliminate him from having problems. Infact that is one area he has never had any issues. 

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:
They do now screen for prostate cancer when men hit a certain age - don't know if its 50 or 55. 

@riley1

Not exactly sure what you mean by your above statement about prostate cancer, and "they now screen". Who are "they"? I have been getting Digital and PSA exams for decades now, and I have done so every year.

My primary insurer paid for it before Medicare and if I am being charged since, I have not seen an EOB telling me about owing them.

Just wondering what that statement meant. Thank you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Leeny

Sorry to hear about your husband's bleeding risk. Been there over many years when I was on Plavix and Coumadin (for 7+ years). Think I am the king of the Colonoscopy with my 15 since 2008. Why? Bleeding they could not locate. 

Understand the bleeding thing as my count is over 125 blood transfusions, and throw in about 30+ Iron Infusions.

I hope all goes well for your husband, I am very familiar with a bleeding issue, unfortunately.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Esophageal cancer is a STD

@151949

I'm thoroughly convinced at this point that you were never a nurse.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut - My statement was a response (see bold) to this post by @151949 (I forgot to include the @ portion, sorry)

Men have a higher death rate ??? Everyone dies! That would just indicate there are more men then women.Women have more preventative tests because men don't have breasts, uteruses or ovaries. They don't do a screening for prostate cancer. Esophageal cancer is a STD - more men get it - go figure!

Hope you and Cindy are both doing well - Riley!

Honored Contributor

Just another note to thank @lolakimono for this important thread.    And thank you, also, to those who share their experiences.   There's so much we can learn from each other.❤️  

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Contributor

Thank you for this informative thread.