Honored Contributor

Imodium for Diarrhea Relief

[ Edited ]

I am am amazed at what people come up with to get high!

But, it is also good information to know so as to be careful NOT to take more of this medication than the dose on the package. Even over the counter meds can be dangerous.

Why People Are Intentionally Overdosing on an Over the counter Anti-Diarrhea Drug

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/healthtrending/why-people-are-intentionally-overdosing-on-an-anti-di...

D9526FA3-BBE6-4D22-A660-356AC76829BD-4787-000005C21C2DA0E2.png

Honored Contributor

Re: Imodium for Diarrhea Relief

Now we've heard everything.  I have trouble believing this is a wide-spread problem. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Something else to lock up behind the counter!!

But seriously, this is a real shame.

@SeaMaiden

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Now we've heard everything.  I have trouble believing this is a wide-spread problem. 

Maybe not yet....

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden OMG, this is crazy, I took one dose of this medicine for what it is sold for, and it messed me up for about a week, I'll continue with Pepto for the "D" problem!  I cannot imagine taking it for other reasons!Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Wow... I can't even imagine.

I use Immodium and if you take a little too much, it can overcorrect and give you terrible constipation. The article says you have to take "25 times the maximum approved daily dose" to get the desired effects. That would be... very uncomfortable at best.

But I guess addicts are used to that, based on the ads I keep seeing on TV for drugs to combat "opioid-induced constipation"

Honored Contributor

You would, I think, have to take such huge amounts that you'd end up in the ER you'd be so constipated. 

Due to a medication I took for 8+ years, I would go through periods where I'd need to take Imodium every other day for  a week at a time (I take a different form of the medication now and need Imodium only rarely these days).  I honestly didn't pay attention to the recommended dose at the time, but in reading just now what it is, I never took more than the max recommended dosage and usually 1/4 to 1/2 of the recommended max.

Still, I did this for years and never had any palpitations or arrhythmias from Imodium - and three cups of coffee or a couple of Cokes will give them to me.

People stupidly desperate enough to do this with any regularity (pardon the pun) would be permanently trashing their colon forevermore, never mind their heart.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Wow, that was an interesting article.  I often take 3-4 Imodium pills in the morning to get through the day if I am going somewhere... like on a trip or traveling by plane or car for hours,  also, if I am going to be spending the whole day on a boat or other places where there is no bathroom or places where If would not be in good taste to be using the bathroom... like on a bus or other close quarters area where there are people around.

This dosage works for me and I am up and going the next day with no problems.  I have celiac disease and IBS that causes me to "go" many, many times a day.

My doctor told me that this was okay and it's not something I do every day, there is no reason to If I am at home all day. I have never felt high, just more confident.

i'll mention my concerns the next time I am in for a visit.