Super Contributor

IgM deficiency with low IgG subclass as well??

Does anyone here have this same issue?  For those of you that have read my posts from the last 15 or so years know that my body is a total sh@tshow.  Five autoimmune diseases and get every virus that the wind blows my way not to mention genetics that are the worst my dr has ever seen.

I've had low IgM to find out for the past 7 years and not one dr flagged it until my IgG has become low as well.  IgM is the big antibodies, first line of attack for bacteria and viruses and IgG is the littlest and apparently even though small, they are the big guns. 

I am going to an immunologist August 1st and have done some research, couldn't find a whole lot, but would like to know if others have this and what they have gone through to help this situation.

Thanks!!

Honored Contributor

Re: IgM deficiency with low IgG subclass as well??

@FatCatinCT   I will be of no help to you but I hope you find the answers you want and need.I have never heard of this deficiency....

I have a niece that also seems to be sick alot. She had cancer in her 30's, then developed necrosis in her hip and shoulder from the chemo...surgeriey for a new hip and shoulder replacement. 

She has had Chrons disease, and at one point had fibromyalgia....do these fall under autoimmune diseases?  Currently she has cervical cancer...and she just turned 49!  I will have to ask her about this deficiency that you mentioned.

I wish you well and look forward to reading what you find out what the immunologist has to say.

Respected Contributor

I have a very high amount of IgM cells and very low IgC count.  I get an infusion every four weeks of IgG cells.  People without this auto-immune will make their own IgG cells in about a month.  It takes about 5 hrs, bc my body cannot take it if they infuse me any faster than they are now (this took a lot of trials and sick weekends out of me)  

I have no idea if yours is the same, but my doc explained to me that IgM is like the boot camp of my army and IgG are the front line.  "What do you do when you do not have enough soldiers to defend, you hire mercenaries!  I will give you mercaneries!"

I have been infusing for ten years as of October 22

Good luck with your appointment on Aug 1 and keep me posted!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs Hugs and prayers for your niece!  Yes, Crohns is autoimmune and likely when you have one, you have another, it's neverending.   

Thank you for your well wishes, I will post when I know more.

Super Contributor

@redwingsgal Thank you for that info!  My IgM is also low, so who knows.

I love your doctors analogy, I do hope for me it is that easy.  I have read about the IV's but that's about all the info that I could find.  Good to know that after 10 years you're doing well! 

Of course as of this month I am now on Medicare and this scares the bejesus out of me as I have no idea what will be covered..or not.  I had wonderful insurance before this and have no idea what any of this would/could cost.

I'll post when I know more...

thanks again.

Super Contributor

Well, I learned more from this dr in one hour than I had from my rheumy of 20 years and she apologized saying she's not a rheumatologist so she couldn't tell me more.

She feels that the majority of my symptoms were from my many auto-immune diseases but ran many (9 viles worth) of blood tests so time will tell.  I also went back on my rheumy's portal and found blood test results that were off that was never mentioned to me, including gamma globulins that were low (think boy in the bubble).  How alarming!  Now I know why I end up getting whatever virus is flying in the wind!

I'm glad I was referred to this new immunologist, I feel I am in good hands.  

Honored Contributor

@FatCatinCT   I am glad you found a good doctor....

is the IgM deficiency discovered thru a blood test?  I am guessing that if it is disovered, it not ROUTINE blood work.

Super Contributor

@Mom2Dogs , yes it is a specialized test that drs will run if a person has auto-immune diseases.  The fact that my IgM has been deficient for 7 years that I know of (that's when I joined the Quest portal) but could have been deficient for many years prior just blows my mind.  All these run by the same doctor, you think a light bulb might have gone off??!!

Honored Contributor

@FatCatinCT   Thanks...I asked because my niece has had two different cancers, chrons disease and fibromyalgia.

She has great doctors that and are currently treating the cervical cancer.  I just wonder if this is a blood test they ran on her.

Super Contributor

@Mom2Dogs, I would think they would be keeping an eye on the antibodies.  If she's on chemo, chemo really weakens the immune system.