Trusted Contributor

If you take a medication that causes dry mouth/dry throat - how do you handle it?

My doctor started me on Lamictal a few months ago - starting at 25 mg. and working up to 150 mg. twice daily. I noticed a very dry mouth at first, and it would calm itself after a bit.

Even after 100 mg twice daily, it got to be not so bad. But ever since the increase to 150 mg twice daily - wow. Not just mouth but throat, esophagus (I swear) - even dry eyes. And the cough! I drink loads of water and herbal tea, have lozenges on hand all the time.

Do you have any tips? In every other way the med is working out great and I don't want to have to go back to my doctor experimenting again. Smiley Sad

Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: If you take a medication that causes dry mouth/dry throat - how do you handle it?

There is a series of products made by Biotene that's pretty effective.  Mouthwash, toothpaste, a spray, even a gum that helps.  Yes, it's pretty uncomfortable.  Sometimes in the middle of the night I'll reach for the spray and it really helps.  Good luck... Woman Happy 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Re: If you take a medication that causes dry mouth/dry throat - how do you handle it?

I don't take prescription medication for mine. I have dry eyes, dry nose & dry mouth. I take Andrew Lessman Ultimate Eye Support & his Omega 3 Fish oil which seem to help mine. I always have water with me. I did not care for the Biotene products.

Trusted Contributor

Good ideas, I will try them both. The spray sounds appealing, too - my husband can't sleep because of my "barking" all night as he refers to it. 

Honored Contributor

I like the Biotene moisturizing mouth spray. It comes in a fairly small bottle and you just pump a few sprays in your mouth. It's minty like gum. The flavor is pleasant. I tried their gum and toothpaste long ago but have moved on to the spray. You might want to try it. Good luck.

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover  I developed chronic dry mouth 6-8 years ago (not from any meds).  I wake up in the night and can't even talk to my cat because my mouth is so dry! During the day, I always have water near me, which is good to drink anyway. When carrying water around is impractical, I chew sugarless gum. Even just a half or quarter piece will bring saliva into my mouth (food works too, but I can't be eating all the time!).

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I'm on a couple of meds that cause dry mouth and dry eyes.  I use Biotene mouth wash at night before bed.  It helps.  Also, I use a humidifier whenever the heat or air conditioner is on.  Also, for dry eyes, I apply cold compresses and also keep the eyelids clean with cold water and Q Tips.  Good luck! 

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

My doctor started me on Lamictal a few months ago - starting at 25 mg. and working up to 150 mg. twice daily. I noticed a very dry mouth at first, and it would calm itself after a bit.

Even after 100 mg twice daily, it got to be not so bad. But ever since the increase to 150 mg twice daily - wow. Not just mouth but throat, esophagus (I swear) - even dry eyes. And the cough! I drink loads of water and herbal tea, have lozenges on hand all the time.

Do you have any tips? In every other way the med is working out great and I don't want to have to go back to my doctor experimenting again. Smiley Sad

Thank you.

@PilatesLover

I had a real bad cough for about two weeks.  I couldn't even talk without coughing.  Steam and humidifier helped.

Honored Contributor

I take a big glass of water to bed with me every night.  I never remember to buy Biotene, although I should.  I take a NSAID that makes my mouth very dry. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I had a dry cough from Lisinopril (hypertension med), and on the basis of two studies I read, started taking Vitron-C, an iron supplement. That cured it, no more dry cough. FYI, at least one study stated that women were more likely to get the dry cough than men.

I have no idea whether it would work on a cough caused by another kind of drug, but you might consider trying it, if your doctor thinks it would be okay. Dry, ticklish coughs are very hard to deal with.