Honored Contributor

Re: If you're not sick exactly, but feeling slightly unwell, physically and mentally.....

@wagirl 

I would imagine that having the disease you had and going through such treatments would be very draining and hard to get through!  So, you would certainly be justified for feeling like that at times!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: If you're not sick exactly, but feeling slightly unwell, physically and mentally.....

@Still Raining 

You're very courageous!  I like that suggestion a lot!  I tend to get overwhelmed easily and if you think about things that why, it seems to make it a lot easier!! 

Honored Contributor

@FatCatinCT 

Oh, I am sorry that you do not feel well!  I have never been a well person either.  DH says   though that he has never met a person who has more determination than me.  I guess that has gotten me through life, since I haven't had the most stamina and strength!  Blessings to you and wishing you the best!  

Honored Contributor

@hckynut 

Yes, I agree. Nobody knows your body like you do!  I tend to push myself forward.  Usually I manage to get through it.  There have been times though, when I think after the fact --- nope, wrong decision -- should have just slacked off for a bit!  I think I have always had way more tenacity than bodily strength and this at times can get me in dutch!  It is hard though because when you're so much younger, you bounce back from things quickly and your energy seems endless!  Not so for me now!  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

Oh yes, "when we were so much younger"!  A few days here a month there, but now, not so much. While I always still want to "get back at it", I leave the "when" up to my doctors. 

Pain? Not a hindrance to me. Can I reinjured or harm myself internally? That is were and when my doctors give me the green light. All of my doctors know me well, and know I am not their "typical" same age patient. Not from my being anxious, but from my life long physical fitness benefits in regards to recovering.

As we both know, how fit a person prior to injury or illness, plays a huge role in how and when a person recovers. Not only to just do things, but primarily to get back as close to their pre-injury/illness status, as humanly possible.

I have always viewed my body and my mind as 1 entity. To me that means "I do not let either the mental or physical parts", fight against each other. Too many seem to view those 2 entities as being enemies, when in fact they are allies.

You ever hear the "I am going to do this even if it kills me" mantra used by many?  I had a couple friends that were stuck on that when it came to "plugging on". It never served them well in any recovery, just the opposite. I preached, but to no avail.

Hope things are getting better and more understandable in this respect for you. Though I cannot directly relate to some of what was said in your original post, I do think I understand it, as much as possible.

My best to you, 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@wagirl  I'm doing pretty good so far also, thank you! Glad you are too. Stay well and Have a happy holiday season !😊

Honored Contributor

@hckynut 

I always enjoy your posts and I thank you!  I do concur with your thoughts regarding body and mind.  Not regarding them as single but as one.  If one is not healthy, then the other will suffer.  Also, very true that if you have been physically active before a set-back or injury, it is much more likely that you can have a greater degree of recovery.  No, I don't subscribe to - I'm going to do that even if it kills me theory!  I may have said it jokingly but never meant it!  A person''s attitude, while not everything, will most certainly have a huge determination on a person's well-being and physical condition.  My best to you as well!  

Honored Contributor

Listen to your body.  It knows and will tell you.  Rest, be quiet, feet up, no noise.  Time to wind down.  We did just go through the one hour time change, but as time goes on (I won't say ages), it requires more rest it appears.  (At least in my read of it.) Others maybe not.  I say rest, get in touch with nature again, and deep breathe.

Hope you feel better soon.  Stress kills, so time to destress.  It's not like we aren't under a LOT of it now.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal 

How true!  Stress is just so bad for a person and I don't seem to handle it very well these days. And there have been so many stressful events these days for all of us!  Some times even if you are very well adjusted and healthy, I think you just want to pull the covers up and just forget it all!  I think some of my feelings go back to childhood when I was taught --- just put it behind you and go.  Don't stop and think about it, just do what you have to ---no matter what and go, go, go.  So, if I feel this way, I kind of feel guilty.  Thank you so much!  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 ---thanks for the kind words--yes it was a wild ride but then it all worked for me so far. Can't forget that many others aren't so lucky. Am grateful for my outcome even when those blah days happen.