Trusted Contributor

Re: If you have trouble sleeping

The days that I take a walk, I sleep so much better. So I guess anything that wears you out a little helps with sleeping. 

Respected Contributor

Getting in the shower and lowering your body temperature. Was told to do this by my doctor.

Respected Contributor

Two words:  THIS BOOK.  Get it at your library, download it, buy it...whatever you have to do.  It is a fun, entertaining read.  Once I read it and put into practice many of the techniques, I've slept the best I've slept in years without taking drugs or supplements to aide sleep.  My sleep's not perfect, but before, I would rate it a 2 or 3, and now it's a 7 or 8.  One thing I found is that I do have to stop any coffee with caffeine after 7am.  Yes, 7am.  I am that sensitive to it.  I cut my regular coffee with decaffeinated and only drink half a carafe.  

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/26114128-sleep-smarter 

Valued Contributor

As someone with fibromyalgia not getting a good night sleep has been regualr course for me.

What I do is take some magensium glycinate at night (not too much about 200 mg).

There is also lavender sprays that you can put on your pillow.

Also eating cherries or having tart cherry juice during the day should help as well.

Going for a walk after dinner but give about 2 hours before going to bed.

There is also magnesium oil that you can spray on you that might help.

These are some of what I have used.

Regular Contributor

No its not crazy!!!!! I do this very often ony its Jiff and crackers....always between 3 and 4 in the morning.I have blood sugar  problems and this sovles the problem until breakfast.  enjoy with the rest of us......

Honored Contributor

Do enough during the day to tire you out physically.  I also agree with the heavy weight blanket.  My Mother (grew up in England) never kept the heater on at night.  We always had plenty of blankets and they added up to plenty of heat and were heavy.  DH likes the heater on and we live in a very cold climate during the winter and over the years I've gotten used to it but I always sleep better in a cold house with a lot of blankets.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I would love to know too. I am a terrible sleeper, I don't have trouble falling asleep, I have trouble staying asleep. I use ZzzQuil and Advil PM (I alternate days). I went to the doctor recently and told him I don't sleep well but didn't want to take anything that was addictive. He told me to take Melatonin, it comes in a 3mg, 5mg and 10mg tablet. I bought the 5mg, a complete waste of money, it didn't work at all.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I would love to know too. I am a terrible sleeper, I don't have trouble falling asleep, I have trouble staying asleep. I use ZzzQuil and Advil PM (I alternate days). I went to the doctor recently and told him I don't sleep well but didn't want to take anything that was addictive. He told me to take Melatonin, it comes in a 3mg, 5mg and 10mg tablet. I bought the 5mg, a complete waste of money, it didn't work at all.

Many of us wake frequently during the night.  Unfortunately QVC now is in tape delay much of the night so do not find it enjoyable like the old days.  Now I listen to COAST TO COAST radio with George Nory

Respected Contributor

@DAD wrote:

I have always liked a heavy comforter on me except when it's hot. I think my Mom used to pile them on when I was a kid! I have thought of getting one. I think it would help me.

Sorry I haven't been back.

"Heavy comforter" can be misleading, as in it's "heavy" but not warm.  I guess the preferred term is "weighted".  Mine is brand name Degrees of Comfort filled with nano-ceramic beads.  What attracted me is that it comes with two covers - a summer cover consisting of CoolMax microfiber and winter cover featuring a warm fleecy type cover.

Of course, the "weight"of blanket  is determined by your body weight.

Denise
Trusted Contributor

Re: If you have trouble sleeping&

[ Edited ]

@pprmntstx 

@pprmntstx wrote:

What helps?

I live alone in a basement apartment.

I have an anxiety disorder.  I use to be an insomniac.  And take medication for it.
Now, my routine every night before I go to bed is to:

Eat a snack or piece of fruit.  

Drink a glass of wine.

Read a passage from the Bible.

And lastly, play my favorite song.... "God Bless The USA" by Lee Greenwood.
Helps me get a good nights sleep.

Hope you find what works for you

~Put food in front of me, and I will eat it.~