Super Contributor

Re: If you have trouble sleeping

2 (generic) Benadryl 1/2-1 hour before bed has helped me a lot, but only if I take them every night.

Respected Contributor

~ stop drinking caffeine and ginger past mid-day

~ turn off all negatvity (ie news, suspenseful tv/movies, stressful conversations, frustrating forums, etc) by dinner or sooner

~ spend time outside during the day

~ dim the lights an hour or two before bed

~ if on devices before bed, use blue light blocking glasses, etc

~ play calming sleep music (check youtube)

~ diffuse essential oils (ie lavendar)

~ melatonin

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

First make sure you don't have any medical issues that could be the cause.  Also, some medications.  

If not, are you taking naps during the day?  If so, don't.  Try to stay awake.  Then go to bed at your regular time.  You may need to do that several days to reset your clock.

No coffee after 6 pm.  Don't eat anything close to bedtime.  

If you begin thinking about things when you go to bed, try not to think of anything.  It takes practice.

Don't watch anything on TV later in the evening that will get your adrenaline going.  

Exercise.  If you ever noticed in the past, you fell asleep faster when you were physically tired.  

Keep the bedroom cool.

Super Contributor

One Benadryl an hour or two before bedtime.

Valued Contributor

@Foxxee @Twoaces  @ThinkingOutLoud  @cantdrive55  Thank you so much for offering those great suggestions!

Esteemed Contributor

I found that eliminating sugar made the biggest difference for me.  If I have any sugar, even just a little early in the day, I wake up in the middle of the night unable to sleep. 

Valued Contributor

@cotton4me  Thanks! That's good to know!

Esteemed Contributor

I tried many things. I ended up getting rx sleeping medication from my neurologist. It has made a world of difference.

I could be so tired, but it seemed like within a few minutes of laying down, I'd be wide awake. 

One thing I do like, is a podcast called getsleepy. Its free, and I think it would be worth it to try. Its interesting, I think it must be mainly folks with what I think are british accents. I love to listen to them. 

The narators tell you an interesting story. This may sound corny, but, I love it.

Good luck, I hope you find something that helps you sleep. 

Super Contributor

I can totally relate to the peanut butter in the wee hours of the night.    Once I get up and indulge I am off to sleep.   I wonder of it could be some nutritional deficiency though I first thought it was mind trick.  Now I wonder if I am not getting something my body craves in order to relax.  

Valued Contributor

@Memebell  Yes, that really is different--whatever works!