Honored Contributor

Re: If you have a controlled prescription....

If you are over 65, it's even worse. You have lived long enough, step aside.
Honored Contributor

Potential addict and / or drug dealer. Like anyone would even want my awful meds! They have terrible side effects; can imagine anyone being addicted to them.

Valued Contributor

I find this very sad.  Especially for Seniors.  If you are in pain and at the end of your life...this is cruel.

Honored Contributor

@highmaintenancejan wrote:

I find this very sad.  Especially for Seniors.  If you are in pain and at the end of your life...this is cruel.

@highmaintenancejan  If you are talking hospice care, that is a completely separate issue.  Pharmacies will dispense 3 day scripts as the norm if it is a true end of life moment.    

Respected Contributor

Interesting..I just refilled my 4 month Script for pain meds with no issues.....

Valued Contributor

I hope I live in the same state as you!!

Valued Contributor

Is this for say Lortab or is for things like heavier things like Oxycontin?  Xanax?  I don't thing Government should be in the way of Doctor's practicing medicine!!!

Honored Contributor

@highmaintenancejan wrote:

Is this for say Lortab or is for things like heavier things like Oxycontin?  Xanax?  I don't thing Government should be in the way of Doctor's practicing medicine!!!

@highmaintenancejan  Lortab is hydrocodone and is the same level as oxycodone (Oxycotin) as a Schedule 2 narcotic which is highly addictive and the top level of controlled drugs.  

Xanax is part of the benzodiazepam class and is only Schedule 4 because it's considered less addictive but the potential is still there.  

At our pharmacy, the implication was Schedule 2 pain relievers like Lortab, Oxy, Vicodin, Fentanyl, etc... have been short listed by most insurance companies to pay for only a 7 day supply regardless of the doctor's actual script or refill amount.  If you want to override it, the doctor would have to call the insurance company to verify he or she is prescribing responsibly and for a medically necessary reason. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I was given a prescription for oxy right after my knee surgery.  What surprised me was that the cost was 53 cents.  No refills, but no worry because I am not taking it.

On the other hand, I signed in to my pharmacy account the other day to check on my anti-inflammatory and the pharmacy had a multiple choice cognitive test for me to take online.  The first question had a list of cars and I had to identify mine.  The second had a list of years and asked how old I would be in 5 years.  There were several other questions about where I lived.

When I went to pick up my prescription today, I asked the pharmacist about it, but she did not know anything about it.  What I really wanted to know was how they knew what car I drove.  Very weird.

I don't know what state you live in or which pharmacy you use, but this is the strangest thing I have ever heard regarding having a prescription filled.  It is getting ridiculous and the whole prescription thing is on overkill.  Thank goodness I don't have problems with my insurance company or pharmacy when I take my two prescriptions for 30 days each to be filled. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I got a prescription for a controlled substance this week and it was referred to as a "contract".  I felt like a criminal.  I have to report in person once a month to pick up a new prescription which I must have filled locally.  Its such a hassle, I'll probably soon say, "to heck with it" and just go back to sleepless, pain-filled nights.  I've been taking the same pills, that I found in a drawer, that are 5 years old.  Yep, I'm a real opioid abuser.

IMO the true criminality comes in when they put all these procedures in place knowing there is no substitute. Knowing people will be in pain. Knowing there is no alternative. Essentially telling people that if they have pain that is not controlled with NSAIDs then they are just *OOL. 

One is simply not allowed to be in enough pain to require opioids and that’s that, simple, easy peasy - for the doctor.   The patient? The human being in pain? Well, s**rew them, who cares? NO ONE.

Being in pain that is not responsive to NSAIDs just means: you’re lying, you’re a junkie, you’re a defective human being we need to get rid of, it’s your fault. 

Yep, the govt has it easy these days. And as usual, the welfare of human beings is of no importance at all in all of this. Covering the a** so no one can blame you for anything, that’s THE most important consideration. Pain? Not permitted, TYVM.

You got that right Moonchilde.  I'm one of the humans in pain and so far the pain clinic I go to and my insurance company as well as pharmacy are taking good care of me.  I know it won't last so I am considering taking this pain filled body to a rehab facility, get off the  medications and go with medical marijuana. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam