Respected Contributor

Re: If you get stung by a summer stinger, what remedy do you use?

The very best remedy I've discovered over years of getting stung by yellow jackets etc. (filling hummingbird feeders) is Adolph's meat tenderizer. The second you get stung RUN and make a paste with this and slather it on The enzyme papain (from papaya) in it breaks down the poison. This works better than anything I ever used. Get a jar for emergencies.

Adolph's Meat Tenderizer Original Unseasoned 3.5 oz Adolphs 21500010436 |  eBay

Respected Contributor

@sabatini ~ How true, it stops the pain and stinging so fast.  I’ve used Clorox on cotton pad, and applied directly to sting site (after removing stinger.)   This was for bee and wasp stings.  Also, when my son was little, a sting ray got him on the side of his hand, and the Clorox worked well for this very painful sting as well. 😃

Valued Contributor

My husband got a kidney from a guy who died from a bee sting !! 

Trusted Contributor

When my brother came to visit from 6 hours away he showed me a nasty looking reddish bite about the size of a nickel. He wasn’t sure what bit him. I soaked a cotton ball with Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar and taped it to the spot. It healed very quickly. That stuff is great for so many things. 

Honored Contributor

The wasps are so bad this year that my husband bought a couple of traps. He set them up this afternoon. Watch, he’ll get them under control just in time for the cicadas to emerge. 🤦‍♀️

Frequent Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@qualitygal 

The dryer sheets in the mailbox prevents wasps from building nests inside the mailbox....they hate the smell!

It's a common thing in S/E GA!

Never knew this! Thanks!